Broadband Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Can some body tell me how to defragment my HD !!!!!!!

Since going on Broadband i've tried to defrag but it keeps getting to 10% then saying system setting changed and starts all over again...

This has happened even when left for 7 to 10 hours......

It will not get further than 10%.....

Is this because the Broadband keeps changing the settings.....

When Broadband was installed i was informed NOT to switch it off as it will take upto 2 hours to reset after switching off...

Is this true....

The Broadband modem has not been switched off since it was installed back in January...

Is this right.....

Cheers.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc,

I disable all antivirus programmes and my broadband connection before doing a defrag.

When I turn it back on I have immediate connection.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc,

Start your PC up in 'Safe Mode' and then Defrag it.

Starting in Safe Mode will only load the neccessary drivers for your operating system to work and nothing else. Once completed reboot as per normal

Dave

Lid

Who supplies your Broadband? I don't see why you can't switch it off. I have NTL cable and sometimes have to deliberately turn off the cable modem to reset it. It reconnects instantly.

Lid [:)]

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi,
I am in the same position as Lid. I have a broadband connection with NTL.I normally leave it permanently connected,but have by accident switched it off.Once switched back on it takes approx. 30 secs to get up and running.Never had a problem with Defrag.I also leave anti- virus & personal firewall connected permanently.
When installed, the engineer did say that if it was disconnected,the modem should be turned on for approx.30 secs before the computer is switched on.
Cheers.

mike s

I have installed BT broadband all of 5 minutes ago-there's no instructions saying don't switch off with mine.
It's great being able to access MD without having to wait ages for pages (wow, rhyming couplets[:D]) to load.

Cumbria Angling Centre

MALC

Cheers for all the replies...

It would appear the NTL engineer told me a porkie regards not switching the modem off.[:0]

When i get chance i'll switch it off and defrag it.[:D][:D]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

MrC

Should have gone for TELEWEST broadband if you live in the franchise. Its been voted best Broadband provider in britain... and the engineers are friendly , Im one of them.!!
Mal

norm

malc

press ctrl + alt + delete

and close down all programmes apart from explore and systray (if that is on)

then you will be able to defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.