British Companies

Trogg

Site Supporter
The last of the "big 4" in Stafford is currently being demolished ☹

We had Lotus shoes (i was the first member of my family not to work there)
GEC (being demolished)
BRC now a housing estate
Universal grinding, now just a flat concrete slab

Wolf fish

Our local industry was British Insulated Callender's Cables which employed thousands in Prescot and other factories,all gone now, Pirelli bought the rights to the products then gradually liquidated the rest.
BICC that brings back many memories Ken. The first place I worked produced the insulation varnish for them, among others. I used to test the varnish in the labs.

The biggest employer my way was Goodyear, they had a great sports and social club too, but all gone now.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Our local industry was British Insulated Callender's Cables which employed thousands in Prescot and other factories,all gone now, Pirelli bought the rights to the products then gradually liquidated the rest.
Great football team as well.......Prescot Cables, Didn't they get to Wembley for a cup final?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Brompton bicycles. The world's best designed and built folding bicycle. Made in Brentwood.

Oxford and Cambridge universities. Between them they have produced more Nobel prizes than all the world's universities combined.

Tristar

Site Supporter
Are there any fishing tackle companies with manufacturing in the UK? Looking at re building my equipment, avoiding China.

I live near Bolton in a town called Horwich, there used to be a unit there called Zebco, that has long gone. If I'm wrong I apologise.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Are there any fishing tackle companies with manufacturing in the UK? Looking at re building my equipment, avoiding China.

I live near Bolton in a town called Horwich, there used to be a unit there called Zebco, that has long gone. If I'm wrong I apologise.
Tri-cast are not only based in the UK all of their products are made in the UK also not a million miles from where you live ..they are based in Rochdale, some of the higher end Daiwa rods and poles are also made in the UK along with some Hardy rods and Harrison blanks. I also think Match Box seat boxes are now manufactured in the UK again. The only reels I can think of that are still UK manufacture would be a few bespoke centrepin manufactures. Then you have clothing manufacurers like Halkon Hunt and Leon Grant along with GTi Matchman for luggage (good quality but you can wait ages for it). Then you have people like Drake floats making very good quality floats. Other than that I think you will be buying kit manufactured outside of the UK

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Great football team as well.......Prescot Cables, Didn't they get to Wembley for a cup final?
Club is still going although they are struggling a bit with covid so trying to raise funds from other means. I can vaguely remember them getting to something like a Challenge Cup final but I have little interest in ball games so I think I have been in the ground twice although its only a couple of hundred yards from my shop.

Backwoodsman

The big problem in our country is the declining manufacturing base, with the knock on results of relatively high unemployment. I left school in south Leeds in the sixties, everybody in our class walked into jobs. Simply because the area had lots of factories making products, everything from railway engines (hunslet engine company ) to copper pipes and fittings (York’s copper works) . All these factories were crying out for labour with the plus factor of training people. Sadly all these factories have closed,with the loss of a whole generation of skilled craftsmen.

davylad

Site Supporter
I work for BAE systems (formally British Aerospace and before that Royal Ordnance) it is a UK company with over 40 sites in the UK and over 80 sites worldwide we employee over 35,000 people in the UK alone and another 50,000 worldwide with sites as far apart as the USA and Australia so you could say that it is a fairly large UK company that is still operating and expanding year on year
A old mate of mine worked for BAE, after being an auto electrician for a well know car dealership. He actually ended up getting threatened with violence, because he was completing his work sheet far too early. Instead of it taking a week, he was completing it in a day and a half. He couldn't handle the boredom, he ended up working in Saudi for them, running a cinema for the large workforce out there.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
We did have some great companies, then along came....British Leyland; and the rot set in😉

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
British Leyland was a great company but was ruined by the Unions and Britain's inability to assess the direction the world was going and move with it.

Flathead

Site Supporter

Zebco are alive and well....they are an American company and one of their brands in Europe is Browning.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
British Leyland was a great company but was ruined by the Unions and Britain's inability to assess the direction the world was going and move with it.
In those days a lot of damage was caused by the unions, it grieves me as I was always a 'union man' but too much power always corrupts.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
We are still paying the price for it now Dave.
The difference is then people only knew what they were told by those close to them and as you said corruption was more prevalent.
Now people are more aware,can access information for themselves and have more legal support so as not to be intimidated.

62tucker

Site Supporter
When I was a factory apprentice I seen at 1st hand what the Union could do. Factory went on strike. Apprentices weren’t allowed so we had to go in and had to work with the none Union lads who were working. To say they got bullied when everyone was back at work was understatement.
Took some guts to not be in the Union back in them says.
Me. I joined at 16. And still in now. Retired member. £20 a year.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The history of some of the old companies is fascinating, including the way many have changed or expanded their market to adapt to the times.
Birmingham Small Arms Company - guns, bicycles, motorbikes
Marco fishing tackle - Modern Arms Company, but did they ever make guns?
Many fishing tackle companies including Partridge in and around Redditch, centre of the needle industry.
And when I was young, I dreamed of having a bike with Shimano gears, but never heard of their reels.