British Companies

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What British Companies are you proud of? I've just watched a YouTube documentary of Birmingham Small Arms, once one of the worlds foremost Arms producers and industrial manufacturers, and it got me thinking about other British Companies we should be proud of in an era now dominated by Wild West Multinationals and Asian owned Businesses.

I drive past Fort Dunlop on the M6 quite often. Doesn't surprise me to hear it was once the Worlds Largest Factory, employing 3,200 workers.

Also got to be proud of Cadbury as they built an estate in Birmingham which is still one of the nicest areas of Birmingham, and my dad worked their so...

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I drive past Fort Dunlop on the M6 quite often. Doesn't surprise me to hear it was once the Worlds Largest Factory, employing 3,200 workers.
There was over 5000 employed at Levers in Port Sunlight when I worked there in the 70's & 80's. More in years before that. Less than 1500 now though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fort Dunlop is a Travel Lodge now I think, just a relic of around the 19th century, but the civic pride is still there which I like to see.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I work for BAE systems (formally British Aerospace and before that Royal Ordnance) it is a UK company with over 40 sites in the UK and over 80 sites worldwide we employee over 35,000 people in the UK alone and another 50,000 worldwide with sites as far apart as the USA and Australia so you could say that it is a fairly large UK company that is still operating and expanding year on year

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I live on the edge of what's known as the Glass Quarter now. But it was the Chance Brothers in Smethwick who had the glass company that built Crystal Palace. Don't know too much about the history of glassmaking but with all these names like Glass, Gun, Jewellery Quarter etc, I always took them to mean THE preeminent quarter in the world where such things where built. Though the Chance Brothers were helped by a French Inventor. Similarly I live near to Penn in Wolverhampton where Tarmac Group were founded. They had the patent for Tarmac courtesy of a Welsh inventor. I love these what are now relics of the industrial revolution. Similar thing with Leamington Spa, it's still a beautiful place thanks to the Regency Era architecture when the British Empire was booming, they don't build them like that anymore.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Is there such a thing as a true British company now? Certainly amongst the bigger ones most are foreign owned if you can trace the lineage far enough.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My second job was for a small manufacturing company employing about 10 staff making Tubular Heaters for Greenhouses. I was on the production line in a small factory. Only a very small company but I think there's still quite a few small manufacturers about like that, just not on the scale of the industrial revolution.

Chitterlings & Hodge

What British Companies are you proud of? I've just watched a YouTube documentary of Birmingham Small Arms, once one of the worlds foremost Arms producers and industrial manufacturers, and it got me thinking about other British Companies we should be proud of in an era now dominated by Wild West Multinationals and Asian owned Businesses.

Also got to be proud of Cadbury as they built an estate in Birmingham which is still one of the nicest areas of Birmingham, and my dad worked their so...
I remember growing up in Birmingham Lucas's was a large UK company, the Father-in-Law also worked there for a good many years.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think it was said at one point Birmingham and surrounding West Midlands areas including Coventry had a higher average wage than London.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Every company in this country is a British company, it might just have foreign or joint owners.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When Cadbury got bought by Mondelez there was a worry for a while that my dad might not get a decent redundancy package but he did in the end. Similar worries about Tata Motors and Jaguar Land Rover but you could still call those British Companies despite foreign ownership.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Hardy of Alnwick.
I know that much of their stuff is now made in the Far East, but what a history there is behind the company.
I have two Altex reels, both of which were made or assembled by a chap named Jack Luke, who worked for them for 51 years.
Those reels were made in about 1960, and are still going strong.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Are Sunseeker yachts still British owned ? They must be making a bob or two with their big posh boats.BSA are owned by Gamo, a Spanish firm.

squimp

Site Supporter

Cadbury until they got taken over.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Our local industry was British Insulated Callender's Cables which employed thousands in Prescot and other factories,all gone now, Pirelli bought the rights to the products then gradually liquidated the rest.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I've been into tube amplifiers for a couple of decades.

So the old companies like Mullard, Brimar and Marconi. Made some of the best glass in the world. Maybe only matched by German glass from Siemens and Lorenz, but depends on tube type.

I regret selling my matched quad of Marconi B65's, be worth maybe £3k now

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was well into Synths at one point but can't think of a British Synth company other than old EMS. Japan leads the way with Korg, Roland, Yamaha etc

squimp

Site Supporter
British gunmakers are still up there.

Unfortunately most are now owned by foreign conglomerates.

And you need 100K to buy one........

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Who can forget Singer? Yes, the maker of sewing machines. They built the biggest 4 faced clock tower in the world at the time and employed just about everyone in the area. No reason to be late as the clock tower was visible to everyone for miles around. I have a collection of their machines that I have restored to perfect working condition. No, I don't sew, I just love restoring these machines to their former glory.

A bit of history for you : Singer.