Bristol Avon@Malmsbury - catching and then the wind picked up..

adriang

Site Supporter
FIshed 29th Dec.

Not fished Malmsbury for a year, but its a place trot a float when all other river options are out.

Arranged to meet my fishing mate at first light, its a trek for me nowadays, but got there early. Sunrise was 08.15, I was setting up around then.

light rain, the kind that makes you question if its worth putting up an umbrella or not. Mate had first choice of the pegs, I went 2 below him, still liked the look of it.

IMG_7551.jpeg

Set up a Maver 15ft MVR Light float rod with an Abu 506m, 2.6lb Beyer and an avon float taking about 3aaa. Hooklength was 2.5lb supplex and an 18 tubertini 206, which run a bit bigger in size.

Took bread, had a load liquidised, a few slices of Warbartons, a couple rolled flat. Also had a few pints of maggots, but I didn't use them during the session. Previous experience, I've done well mixing in some VDE roach additive, so that was mixed in with the likky bread.

Started on the punch (and didn't change), realised I should have set up a shorter rod as the tree to my left was a pain when casting, but I could get to the far 1/3rd most casts, so basically fed the final 1/3s of the river with a small ball of the likky every second or third cast. There was a snag that I needed to be either side of that cost me a few hooks and fish.

Picked up a roach second cast, but took best part of an hour to get my second.

Rain picked up, brolly was up, I was ok, although the wind was very changable and I was struggling to keep my bait dry, but it was OK.

Got to the point where if I could get a decent trot, I'd get a bite, and if I could beat the minnows, it was a roach. But the conditions were getting worse and worse.

Wind picked up, and was blowing downstream. trashed my brolly, with it blowing inside out, and the bank stick bending like a hockey stick, so that came down. But after my rod was blown off my keep net, decided to call it a day before something carbon and expensive was broken.

IMG_7552.jpeg

Felt I fished it pretty well, ended up with 13 roach (12 in the net, one I missed), best was probably about 10 oz.

IMG_7556.jpeg

Improvements:
Shorter rod as mentioned. Perhaps a heavier float could have made it possible to get through the downstream wind a bit better.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I was going to go up there on the free stretch tomorrow, until my mate turned up today and asked if I wanted to fish a private stretch of canal up at Hungerford. So I’m going up there instead and will fish in Malmesbury on Saturday.
I have never really had much luck on that bit with liquidised bread, unless mixed with a bit of groundbait and hemp, and I have always used maggot on the hook. I’ll take a photo of how I get on.

Browner

Site Supporter
Wow. Different colour to the Avon at Chippenham which is only a few miles down stream. Some big minnows. What stretch was that.? Daniels Well?

adriang

Site Supporter
I was going to go up there on the free stretch tomorrow, until my mate turned up today and asked if I wanted to fish a private stretch of canal up at Hungerford. So I’m going up there instead and will fish in Malmesbury on Saturday.
I have never really had much luck on that bit with liquidised bread, unless mixed with a bit of groundbait and hemp, and I have always used maggot on the hook. I’ll take a photo of how I get on.
Not so many fishable swims as I remember, but its being well fished, the banks were really muddy.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Wow. Different colour to the Avon at Chippenham which is only a few miles down stream. Some big minnows. What stretch was that.? Daniels Well?
Free stretch down by the fire station. It’s the Tetbury Avon. If the main river is flooded, you can always fish here. Colours up and a nice gentle flow on it. Don’t bother if it’s clear as always you will get is trout.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Not so many fishable swims as I remember, but its being well fished, the banks were really muddy.
Just below the footbridge is supposed to be good. People throw bread off the bridge , so the fish are there. It is quite narrow, and I’ve never fished that swim myself. I always go down where you fished. Further down towards the weir and try and draw them out of the reed beds on the inside.

Robwooly

I fished there once years ago whilst on holiday, even in summer it had a wonderful colour to it, had a stunner of a chub in the weir and was getting cracking roach until I hit into something bigger that spun on the surface, was thinking I was into a cracker of a roach until it revealed itself to be a nice brownie, after which it was all minnow. Then managed to crack my head on a low tree whilst answering the call of nature and almost knocked myself out. Great memories

Browner

Site Supporter
Just below the footbridge is supposed to be good. People throw bread off the bridge , so the fish are there. It is quite narrow, and I’ve never fished that swim myself. I always go down where you fished. Further down towards the weir and try and draw them out of the reed beds on the inside.
@Yosemite Sam. @adriang. Walked along the free stretch this afternoon. Dr Mark Everard was fishing there. Had a quick chat with him. After roach as usual. Looked nice. Might give it a go. Easy parking.

squimp

Site Supporter
@Yosemite Sam. @adriang. Walked along the free stretch this afternoon. Dr Mark Everard was fishing there. Had a quick chat with him. After roach as usual. Looked nice. Might give it a go. Easy parking.
Mark E will be there because we have had the best conditions this winter for a big roach for the past 2 days.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Fished there myself this afternoon. I didn’t get there until around 12.30 , as it was chucking it down all morning. I was surprised to get so many trout with some colour in the water. They are a bit of a nuisance, but do fight well. I had 8 or 9 trout in the end, including a couple of right clonkers. Had about 15 roach and a couple of chublets. 2 of the roach were a good 1lb each. Finished with about 10 - 15 lb. I have 1 photo that is not very good , as it was getting dark when I packed up. I’ll post it tomorrow.

Browner

Site Supporter
Fished there myself this afternoon. I didn’t get there until around 12.30 , as it was chucking it down all morning. I was surprised to get so many trout with some colour in the water. They are a bit of a nuisance, but do fight well. I had 8 or 9 trout in the end, including a couple of right clonkers. Had about 15 roach and a couple of chublets. 2 of the roach were a good 1lb each. Finished with about 10 - 15 lb. I have 1 photo that is not very good , as it was getting dark when I packed up. I’ll post it tomorrow.
Where you the guy with the pole towards the fire station or the guy next to Dr. E.
It was a bit muddy past the footpath so didn’t venture on the grass as I only had trainers on. Would of said Hi if I’d know.