Bristol Avon - Chippenham

JohnClarke1

O

There’s absolutely masses of nice stamp roach in the Thames throughout Oxfordshire that can be caught in numbers from early July to at least late October and often well into november but in last couple of years an increasing amount of bigger ones are starting to show amongst them. Nothing like as many big ones or as big big ones as some other rivers but there’s certainly a very realistic shot at fish over a pound and a half to maybe the couple pound mark so you should be able to clear a pound relatively easily with enough time. I had this one as a Thames PB (well river PB full stop) back in October that I don’t half regret not having scales for!

1638742493618.jpeg
Well done Silverfisher, a fantastic fish. Actually I'd already seen it cos I checked out some of your posts, but it looks even better second viewing! I can't remember where you got it, but I've seen that you fish Sandford. I have done so a few times, too. I'm a bit restricted by health issues. I can't walk too far, and find it hard to see the float! So I've mainly fished the lock cut where there's very little flow, but I think I must be a bit adventurous and try some other swims next summer.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well done Silverfisher, a fantastic fish. Actually I'd already seen it cos I checked out some of your posts, but it looks even better second viewing! I can't remember where you got it, but I've seen that you fish Sandford. I have done so a few times, too. I'm a bit restricted by health issues. I can't walk too far, and find it hard to see the float! So I've mainly fished the lock cut where there's very little flow, but I think I must be a bit adventurous and try some other swims next summer.
That particular fish was from Kennington (not easy access tbf) but yes the sandford area is very good. I’d avoid the lock cut though as usually not enough flow and colour and too many boats and too much weed. The old channel behind the lock cut seems to be by far the best area for lots of roach and does produce the occasional bigger one but I appreciate that’s not the easiest place to access with the style and reasonable walk. Opposite the meadows below the confluence of the lock and old channels is a good bet though plenty of roach there with a few big uns and certainly an easy short walk there. You might have seen my reports from there where my grandad had a couple of fairly big roach but if not here are said roach.

1638789072197.jpeg

1638789093094.jpeg

JohnClarke1

Thanks, Silverfisher
2 more lovely roach. I understand what you're saying about the old channel. As for a swim opposite the meadows, I assume I walk downstream from the car park till the trees stop and therefore fish from the west bank?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks, Silverfisher
2 more lovely roach. I understand what you're saying about the old channel. As for a swim opposite the meadows, I assume I walk downstream from the car park till the trees stop and therefore fish from the west bank?
Yep more or less. Go down from the sandford lane carpark beyond the power lines and there’s 4 or 5 swims down there on the Abingdon and Oxford Alliance Ticket who also happens to have some very easy access fishing at Dorchester lake more down your way.