Bristol Avon - Chippenham

Browner

Site Supporter
The water was clear and slow. Started on the pole float on the 12ft float rod about 8ft deep. 6mm punch over likky bread and hemp produced nothing. Switched to the feeder with bread punch and likky bread but once again nothing. This continued for a couple of hours so with half an hour left I packed up the float rod and switched to a small punch of meat with the feeder. 5 minutes and the tip drops the shoots round. Strike and nothing. On inspection the hook length has broken. Put a new length on and had one last cast. Same method. 5 minutes and the lip drops then goes round. Strike and a nice chub landed. Only fish of the day but the weather was clear with a warm edge after snow yesterday.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Not fished in Chippenham for ages now, and I only live 5 miles away. Where did you fish, Riverside drive, or opposite the boat club perhaps.

Browner

Site Supporter
Yesterday I fished peg 56 which is two swims up from the blue foot bridge which I’d upstream of the pitch and putt golf course.
The main match stretch is generally from the blue bridge, through the “dead stretch”, past the sea cadet, “line of trees” and along Riverside Drive to the old Blackbridge. Most of it has pallets and easy access. Good roach and chub fishing plus some nice bream and perch plus double figure pike. Apparently there are also some big carp that have come out.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Sea cadets. That was the name I was looking for. I knew the boat club was wrong. Had some decent catches in the summer evening matches up that end , a good few years ago.

Browner

Site Supporter
Sea cadets. That was the name I was looking for. I knew the boat club was wrong. Had some decent catches in the summer evening matches up that end , a good few years ago.
Still good fishing. Where do you fish know?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I fish on the upper Avon around Great Somerford, which is a private club stretch, but only half mile from home, or for a match fix, I go to Ivy House.
I used to fish on a Devizes , Melksham , Chippeham and imalgamation ticket. It sadly seems like the fishing , at least on the river has dwindled a lot, probably in part to the rise of commercials. It must be heartbreaking for a local Chippenham angler to not have a shop to get bait from now. It doesn’t encourage youngsters or any other anglers to take up the sport. Where do you buy your tickets from now , day or annual.

Browner

Site Supporter
I had the Summerford ticket for a year. Quite expensive and I found the access/parking difficult. Only used it once. Not a fan of Ivy House. Prefer Tockenham. I miss the tackle shop. Know Colin and Chris from Premier Angling very well. The bait thing isn’t much of a problem for me as I tend to mainly use bread, corn, meat and hemp.

Tench Tickler

Site Supporter
Both you boys are close to me as Im based in S.Benger. I'm a member of Somerfords, Isis, Amalgamated and Chippenham . . . too many to do any of them justice really. :rolleyes:

Browner

Site Supporter
Yea. I’ve also got Melksham (Avon), Devizes, Calne, Airsprung and Trowbridge.
Tend to use Airsprung and Melksham for the K&A but Airsprung also have a stretch of the Frome near Farliegh which is great chub fishing with a few barbel. Calne for the Marden again chub and roach plus lots of big brownies, Devizes has a nice lake plus miles of the K&A and Trowbridge…..not sure, easy parking behind your peg during the warmer months.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Used to be a lot of Barbel in the Marden didn’t there. Are there still?. Only fished it a couple of times on a day ticket and an open match once, which was very Peggy and hard work.
Fished the Devizes lake a few times when they first opened it, and had there evening .
we should all perhaps meet up and have a session somewhere.

Browner

Site Supporter
Used to be a lot of Barbel in the Marden didn’t there. Are there still?. Only fished it a couple of times on a day ticket and an open match once, which was very Peggy and hard work.
Fished the Devizes lake a few times when they first opened it, and had there evening .
No barbel in the Marden now so I’m told. Not many in the Chippenham stretch either.
Might be an idea. Have a chubbing session somewhere.

buygoodtackle

Still barbel in Marden, EA restocked the upstream stretch a couple of years ago with 500 fish about 8oz I think. The bottom stretch still has them but you need to locate the undercuts they live in.

Browner

Site Supporter
Still barbel in Marden, EA restocked the upstream stretch a couple of years ago with 500 fish about 8oz I think. The bottom stretch still has them but you need to locate the undercuts they live in.
The also put a load in the Avon at Chippenham but not many have shown. I can only wonder if it was food for the otters, mink and cormorants

Tench Tickler

Site Supporter
If you’re referring to Crookwood, I dropped my wedding ring in there about two years ago 😞

JohnClarke1

How big do the roach go nowadays in the Bristol Avon? I'm told there was a time when you could reasonably expect pounders, in some stretches more? But I may be out of date. I'm an hour away (Didcot), so not local, but could take a trip over. I've got slight health problems so I couldn't manage a mobile approach, I'd need to be within a couple of hundred yards of the car.

squimp

Site Supporter
How big do the roach go nowadays in the Bristol Avon? I'm told there was a time when you could reasonably expect pounders, in some stretches more? But I may be out of date. I'm an hour away (Didcot), so not local, but could take a trip over. I've got slight health problems so I couldn't manage a mobile approach, I'd need to be within a couple of hundred yards of the car.
I was lucky enough to fish the B Avon for roach in its prime. I live 15 minutes from what were the best roach stretches. My mates and I caught a lot of 2lb roach there….

These days I hardly roach fish it at all. There are a few good fish left - but it’s hard graft. I know Mark Everard and he still catches one or two, but he does live right on the river and has access to some private stretches -which helps ! From memory I fished it twice last year in decent conditions and blanked both times.

If I lived in Didcot I’d just fish the Thames, no question. One Thames roach trip last year produced a lot of fish to over a pound….the river was in perfect nick that afternoon. I drive an hour to get there.

Just as an example there are decent roach round Abingdon. There is also prolific fishing for medium sized fish in the upper river.

Hope this helps.

JohnClarke1

Thanks, Squimp, very helpful. I'll take your advice! I've had some reasonable bags of roach from the Thames near here on hemp and tares, but am still needing to get my act together in autumn and winter, and my Thames roach pb is only 12 oz. The good thing about that is that I've got plenty to go for! I'll keep pressing on locally, but when I feel like a trip can you advise somewhere on the upper river?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
O
Thanks, Squimp, very helpful. I'll take your advice! I've had some reasonable bags of roach from the Thames near here on hemp and tares, but am still needing to get my act together in autumn and winter, and my Thames roach pb is only 12 oz. The good thing about that is that I've got plenty to go for!
There’s absolutely masses of nice stamp roach in the Thames throughout Oxfordshire that can be caught in numbers from early July to at least late October and often well into november but in last couple of years an increasing amount of bigger ones are starting to show amongst them. Nothing like as many big ones or as big big ones as some other rivers but there’s certainly a very realistic shot at fish over a pound and a half to maybe the couple pound mark so you should be able to clear a pound relatively easily with enough time. I had this one as a Thames PB (well river PB full stop) back in October that I don’t half regret not having scales for!

1638742493618.jpeg

Tench Tickler

Site Supporter
There are decent redfins in the BA but I don’t think they are prolific. My biggest has been a just short of a pound but I know that there have been the odd 2lb+ caught earlier in the year.

Check out the On The Bank Angling YouTube channel.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
There are quite a few otters in the river in and around Malmesbury, which has had a big effect on all fish numbers Sadly.