Brilliant Thames Trotting Roach Bag

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m getting close to leaving them David lol. I don’t think I fed more than a couple pinches of them all day on Monday as seemed a bit pointless given how well they were feeding on hemp. I just like to have them as a bit of a safety blanket just in case. And yeah have yourself a weekend up this way, maybe September time when the worlds closer to normal.

@warrington63 it’s the side from a sandford lane over the fence or the left side of the lock meadow from the pub. It’s by far the best place to fish at the moment as the lock channel is joked with weed at the moment and the meadow stretch not much better but apparently the clubs getting the weed cutter out this week as it’s made the matches pretty unfair given there’s a not many good swims atm. The meadow will be a good option then as the few fishable swims are producing well. The old channel is deeper and more coloured due to the weir so the weed is almost at normal levels so is no problem at all. And yeah it’s fine for the pole still very steady. Completely unnecessary away from the weedy bits though you’ll have a lot more fun on the float rod!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I’m getting close to leaving them David lol. I don’t think I fed more than a couple pinches of them all day on Monday as seemed a bit pointless given how well they were feeding on hemp. I just like to have them as a bit of a safety blanket just in case. And yeah have yourself a weekend up this way, maybe September time when the worlds closer to normal.

@warrington63 it’s the side from a sandford lane over the fence or the left side of the lock meadow from the pub. It’s by far the best place to fish at the moment as the lock channel is joked with weed at the moment and the meadow stretch not much better but apparently the clubs getting the weed cutter out this week as it’s made the matches pretty unfair given there’s a not many good swims atm. The meadow will be a good option then as the few fishable swims are producing well. The old channel is deeper and more coloured due to the weir so the weed is almost at normal levels so is no problem at all. And yeah it’s fine for the pole still very steady. Completely unnecessary away from the weedy bits though you’ll have a lot more fun on the float rod!
That sounds like the opposite I walked when went over the fence upto the weir, when got to weir and facing it ,i was on left hand side.
When started walking up from fence, there was another bank I could have walked so that sounds like one you fished.
I walked the meadow side where boats are moored as soon as you get on it. Some nice swims there.
And for £7 for my membership it's a brilliant club to join , I would still have joined at full price of £12.

adriang

Site Supporter
So over the style (I think technically the RDAA water), rather than over the bridge onto what is technically an island?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Thanks mark.

It has indeed started fishing quite well now in the right spots. Roach bags are still quite Peggy on the matches so don’t think they are on it properly everywhere yet but this swim and from I’ve heard a couple more are producing the goods. It’s obviously completely different circumstances but Monday’s bag would have beat the two best roach catches in the matches so far if my guestimates on weights are fairly accurate. Hopefully you get a chance to come up and fish it soon ??

I probably do need to tinker with stuff more on the days it doesn’t work as well as it did on Monday. I’m just a bit stuck in my ways especially when I have a good day as I then tend to stick to it probably a bit too much lol. I’m out of spools for lighter mainline atm but have ordered some lighter hooks/hook lengths to try when it’s harder. I guess with hemp you don’t have to worry about bigger fish so can fish lighter whereas when I fish maggots some big perch and decent bream and chub get involved so you need a bit note leeway. On the float front a 1g would normally be sufficient for the swim I’ve been doing well in. Problem is it’s just so windy at the moment that I feel the need to use the 1.5g to have any sort of control. Shotting wise I did try all sorts of fancy stuff initially. However on the couple good sessions I’ve had I’ve literally just used a No8 above the hook length to fish on the drop like I would for maggots on a Stillwater as not many bites have come hard on the bottom on the good days. They’ve more come just before or just after the dropper takes effect with more up in the water than hard on the deck. As to taking maggots I only really do it to give me something to do whilst I’m prime the swim with hemp for that first half an hour ish. And in case things don’t go to plan and I have to chuck a feeder out!

I reckon that you're doing pretty well anyway.

The loaded crystals ... is that 1.5g of shot Plus the loading? and how big is the loading weight?
I don't use loaded floats - but would be using between 3bb and 4aaa on those stretches, depending on distance, depth and wind.

sandford is about 5-6 feet deep isn't it? With Thames flows you really only need 2 or 3 no.8 down at the most ... except for the bleak! so sounds like you're close to spot on.

You can definitely hook in to chub on hemp, even more so on tares.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
So over the style (I think technically the RDAA water), rather than over the bridge onto what is technically an island?
Yep,but you can fish it on the Littlemore card as well. Us poor pensioners would have to save up the extra fiver ,but it would be worth it.
Not got my North Oxford card yet, Got Newlands the other week, £40 for pensioner and wife/partner. Only put her on it in case she wants to come with me if decent day weather wise to watch or fish .cant take guests on at moment,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@adriang and @warrington63 yes over the style for the left bank of the old channel side that I’ve fished but you can fish it from the right bank over the bridge side as well. Tbh once they’ve cut the weed you’ll be fine on the main meadow stretch as well.

@NoCarpPlease thanks mate ??

And yeah think I’ve got it sussed for the good swims/when it’s fishing well. Certainly worked on monday! Just might need to tinker for on the tougher occasions but we’ll see. And yeah it is about 6ft ish along both channels and pretty steady flow so I find the no.8 about right for hemp, I just go bigger for maggot. Regarding the float I’m not sure if the 1.5g is the load or what it takes but basically I add a no.4 and a no.1 as locking plus the no.8 dropper then for the 1.g version you just substitute the no.1 for another no.4.

I’ve had lots of chublets on hemp and tares but never a proper one compared to maggots but that might just be fluke lol.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
What would you reckon to corn or worm on straight lead, ?
If corn, keep pinging a few grains over little and often.
I am tempted to try hooker pellet out of curiosity on the pole/rod. And ping hard hard pellets.
If that fails will be hemp I suppose.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Worm works well for perch and bream, much better than corn which will pick up the odd bream and roach but not very often. Either is much better on the feeder than bomb.

Hooker pellets can work well in conjunction with hemp. I sometimes use them in quicker water when I don’t have tares where tripping the bottom knocks hemp off too easily. 4mm is the perfect size and get a flavour that he as dark a colour as possible, usually that means fishmeal but chocolate is even better. Nothing beats hemp itself though. Just an easy job of one bait to cover hookbaits and feed and almost every fish you catch on it will be a decent roach or dace.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher my day yesterday did no live up to expectations dorset stour is very hit n miss only one fish on hemp none on tare single maggot was the best bait, actually best bait was the small roach as the pike kept eating them, every swim so far has been a pike trap as soon as I get the swim going one will start. Hay ho keep trying.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep keep at it. Only had one pike attack so far this season which is unusual. Do recall there being loads on the stour when I had a few dace sessions on it a few years ago. Would quite like to get down there again when the worlds calmed down a bit.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Yea it's great county @Silverfisher one reason I've never felt the need to move. We have coast rivers countryside no motorways. Just need some fish lol

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I’d never leave Oxfordshire from the fishing, countryside, towns and accessibility to the rest of the country points of view but Dorset is the one other place I wouldn’t mind living. Like you say you’ve got the coast, rivers, countryside and towns. I lived there for a year when doing my masters and still visit friends there a lot so along with Hampshire where I do my seas fishing it’s a bit of a second home for me.