Bright But Cold Commercial Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was back out with my grandad today on our local commercial that’s been the scene of our recent sessions over the last few weekends. Was certainly a different prospect today as whilst the previous sessions had seen air temperatures of 11-12 degrees and water temperatures 7-8 degrees both only hovered around the 6 degree mark today. But it was sunny and calm again so worth a go we thought. Seemed others had been put off by the cold as the place was deserted so we picked the same sunny swim of last weekends sessions as with the cold you needed all the sun you could get! The cold certainly slowed things up in the morning but normal service was resumed in the afternoon so was another good session.

Started fishing about 9 and fished about 4 and in that time I had 10 fairly typical commercial carp, 8 decent skimmers, 6 small perch, 2 small rudd and I’d guess about 45 respectable roach. Despite the silvers being slightly smaller and a fair fewer in numbers than my previous sessions the fairly plentiful carp added to them would have seen me clear the 40lb mark again so a pretty good result again.

Tackle was the same as the last couple sessions of the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the 2500 shimano Sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon set up at roughly dead depth in just over 5ft of water. Hook bait again was a single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots over frenzied hemp groundbait.

The temperature drop seemed to effect grandads peg more than mine as he didn’t experience the afternoon increase in bites that I did. Still he slogged it out for 3 carp, 3 skimmers, 3 perch and probably 30 odd roach for probably over 15lb.

All in all it was a bit of a shame that the silvers were a smaller and fewer than they had been on previous sessions but I still had plenty enough of them to be busy and the carp filled in for them well when they woke up in the afternoon after being absent in the morning. Certainly a better result than I expected given how much colder it was this week. That said it was still very comfortable in the afternoon sun so with plenty of fish thrown in it was another very nice day. Weather looks wet and windy next weekend so not sure when I’ll next be out but hopefully won’t be too long!

Few pics of the swim and a skimmer, a roach and a carp that were all roughly of the stamp.
1615138513204.jpeg
1615138530429.jpeg
1615138541855.jpeg
1615138556448.jpeg

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Well done 👍personally I can’t see why anyone would actually target them silly little silver things, that hardly put a bend in the rod , I try to avoid them and target the carp 😂😂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well done 👍personally I can’t see why anyone would actually target them silly little silver things, that hardly put a bend in the rod , I try to avoid them and target the carp 😂😂
Thanks mate 👍🏻

You haven't used an acolyte anything over an ounce puts a bend in the rod and you have to properly play anything over a quarter pound 😂 But yes roach under about 3-4oz don't do much for me either (hence why this place will never be a favourite) but the half pound to pound and a half skimmers I've been getting there on previous sessions have been great fun as they're surprisingly lively for bream.

It's mostly just about bites though. I could probably target the carp and get twice as many as I've been getting but that might just be a couple dozen bites in a day as opposed to say a dozen to a couple dozen an hour so I'd just get bored. Much rather just fish for silvers and be busy and enjoy the carp when they inevitably turn up. I don't mind the odd sitting it out for better fish session but it has to be for bit more special fish. In terms of how often you can find and catch them proportionately a 4lb carp isn't anything anymore out of the ordinary than a 4oz roach so I'd rather catch say 40-80 roach and inevitably get a few carp and be busy than catch 10-20 carp and have large periods of boredom. But I'd much rather catch even half a dozen 4lb chub, tench, bream etc as those fish don't turn up everywhere every day so are way more of an achievement.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Maybe try casters, might pick up some better fish. Still sounds like a decent session though, thanks for sharing it 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like another enjoyable session 👍
It was indeed 👍🏻 Quite an interesting day as the morning was a bit of a struggle as probably had no more than a couple dozen fish but then it really woke up in the afternoon. It's been fascinating over the last few sessions how the cold effects the carp as the bream out pull the first couple then by the end of the session they are tearing about all over the place. Quite an insight into the physiology and biology of it all!

Maybe try casters, might pick up some better fish. Still sounds like a decent session though, thanks for sharing it 👍
Thanks mate 👍🏻

Good idea on caster, have tried the odd one with no real difference (always a few in old maggots isn't there!) but using fresh ones and feeding them as well might make a difference. Have tried pellet, worm section and punch on previous sessions but all they do is slow the bites rather than improve the stamp so seems maggot is the safe bet whilst it's cold. If I fish it when it warms up I might try hemp as if that doesn't pick out better roach that would probably confirm my suspicion that they aren't in there. It's probably got the smallest stamp of roach of anywhere I've ever fished yet (on the previous sessions) probably the best stamp of skimmers 🤔

Last edited:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Nice one mate, another good result considering the weather. What’s the name name of this commercial? I’ll add it to the list for more normal times 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice one mate, another good result considering the weather. What’s the name name of this commercial? I’ll add it to the list for more normal times 👍
Thanks mate, reckon could have blanked most places today let alone bagged up so was really nice 👍🏻

Tbh I'm not entirely sure what it's called as it doesn't really have much of an official presence. Easy to find though as its on a farm just outside of fritwell.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Thanks mate, reckon could have blanked most places today let alone bagged up so was really nice 👍🏻

Tbh I'm not entirely sure what it's called as it doesn't really have much of an official presence. Easy to find though as its on a farm just outside of fritwell.
Good to know cheers. I’ll bare that in mind if/when I fancy somewhere new 👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Was back out with my grandad today on our local commercial that’s been the scene of our recent sessions over the last few weekends. Was certainly a different prospect today as whilst the previous sessions had seen air temperatures of 11-12 degrees and water temperatures 7-8 degrees both only hovered around the 6 degree mark today. But it was sunny and calm again so worth a go we thought. Seemed others had been put off by the cold as the place was deserted so we picked the same sunny swim of last weekends sessions as with the cold you needed all the sun you could get! The cold certainly slowed things up in the morning but normal service was resumed in the afternoon so was another good session.

Started fishing about 9 and fished about 4 and in that time I had 10 fairly typical commercial carp, 8 decent skimmers, 6 small perch, 2 small rudd and I’d guess about 45 respectable roach. Despite the silvers being slightly smaller and a fair fewer in numbers than my previous sessions the fairly plentiful carp added to them would have seen me clear the 40lb mark again so a pretty good result again.

Tackle was the same as the last couple sessions of the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the 2500 shimano Sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon set up at roughly dead depth in just over 5ft of water. Hook bait again was a single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots over frenzied hemp groundbait.

The temperature drop seemed to effect grandads peg more than mine as he didn’t experience the afternoon increase in bites that I did. Still he slogged it out for 3 carp, 3 skimmers, 3 perch and probably 30 odd roach for probably over 15lb.

All in all it was a bit of a shame that the silvers were a smaller and fewer than they had been on previous sessions but I still had plenty enough of them to be busy and the carp filled in for them well when they woke up in the afternoon after being absent in the morning. Certainly a better result than I expected given how much colder it was this week. That said it was still very comfortable in the afternoon sun so with plenty of fish thrown in it was another very nice day. Weather looks wet and windy next weekend so not sure when I’ll next be out but hopefully won’t be too long!

Few pics of the swim and a skimmer, a roach and a carp that were all roughly of the stamp.
1615138513204.jpeg
1615138530429.jpeg
1615138541855.jpeg
1615138556448.jpeg
Cracking days fishing ,wow .... could not get carp to feed where i was 🥲🥲🥲

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cracking days fishing ,wow .... could not get carp to feed where i was 🥲🥲🥲
Thanks mate 👍🏻

The carp always seem to feed at this place, mostly come the afternoon but weirdly you often get one within the first 10 minutes before not getting any more of them until it warms up.

Tried triple maggot ,hard pellet ,janers,and expanders ,gudgeon loved them all lol
This place used to have gudgeon when I fished it as a teenager but they seem to have gone now. It's changed a lot since then mind you don't recall it ever having roach and bream back then either plus the greenery has matured a lot. Very different fishery to 10 years ago definitely better now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have you tried using bread there?
Yes tried punch a couple sessions ago. Just brought the same stamp but slower plus the liquidised feed soon brought a lot of tiny Rudd in so rather back fired! Think it could worth with more refinement though. Used to catch loads of carp on flake there years ago which I'm sure will still work once it's warmed up.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Have you tried using bread there?
I didnt take bread but a fisherman came for a wander and said that people were getting the odd carp on bomb and bread discs on really light tackle on the weeks before . Ofcourse i didnt take any ,looked at it this morning and thought no . I was wrong lol ,i think maybe a bit of bread dobbed might have got one or 2 .

baggy

Mark Saunders
Looks like a nice day. I have admit I’m dying to get out, fish a waggler and blast casters for silvers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looks like a nice day. I have admit I’m dying to get out, fish a waggler and blast casters for silvers
Thanks mate 👍🏻 it's been a godsend to have just down the road whilst we are under these restrictions as always seems to produce.

Waggler for silvers is my favourite method whether it be Stillwaters or rivers. Love the stick too but there's just something about the simplicity of the waggler 🙂