Bream Set Up

corbyclubman

Have been putting some thought into buying a decent distance feeder rod and reel that will handle long chucks and the feeder, prob spool up 150m 0.10 braid, with backing.
Leaning towards the Map competition dual 12 ft 9 feeder
For reel ultegra 5500 xtd
Want to keep under 300 and can grab the above for 280
I’ve seen all the threads but can anyone else put a better combo together for the price? Cheers

grey

Site Supporter
Like the look of the rod, I don't know it, but looks ideal for bream.

Will the reel fit on it? You need an oversized first guide to accommodate a 5500 otherwise you tend to suffer from frapping whenever you push the cast - esp with braid.

corbyclubman

I’m not sure about the guide mate, but you’d think so wouldn’t you? After all it’s been made for similar purpose to the rod surely , copied the below from the site

A minimal number of oversized guides ensure casting is made easy, and its home casting up to 120g with ease. A must for any angler who require a distance feeder rod.

Has any one had any experience with tackle uk? My missus gets a discount on her blue light card 😃

grey

Site Supporter
I would definitely swap the shimmy 5500 to the preston intensity reel, but I don’t know much about the rod 👍
I would too. Ideally, I think the 5500 may be too clumsy and industrial for what looks like a very elegant distance feeder with 1 to 2oz tips.

Given the choice, I'd be reserving the 5500 for cranking in huge weights on very heavy duty feeder rod, whereas you're probably unlikely to be cracking in feeders much over 40g

corbyclubman

Good points! I did see that one when looking, leaning towards it now, do you think do you think theres much difference between the 620 and 720 versions asides from line capacity and retrieval rate 💁‍♂️

adriang

Site Supporter
Cadence distance feeder is worth considering. Its been well thought through with the choice of the Fuji K-series guides and towards the tip they are slightly oversize to cater for braid to leader knots. Only thing I don't like about it, is that it is a little 'blingy' with the finish.

corkycat

It might just be a personal thing, but the key point for me when I'm bream fishing at distance is the size of the guides on the tip. The eyes on the Preston tips are wide enough to allow a shock leader and knot to slide through unhindered. If I were choosing a new rod I would consider the guides alongside everything else.

grey

Site Supporter
It might just be a personal thing, but the key point for me when I'm bream fishing at distance is the size of the guides on the tip. The eyes on the Preston tips are wide enough to allow a shock leader and knot to slide through unhindered. If I were choosing a new rod I would consider the guides alongside everything else.
I agree.

Small tip guides do sometimes jam on the knot.

I tend to use only the FG knot, which takes the worry away, but I can't tie it on the bank though, so any problems and I have to resort to the waterknot and thread the whole leader through 3x !!!

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
If you can use braid, go with it direct to your rig, there’s nothing worse than a knot, rattling through the rod rings, it creates tip bounce, and hinders your distance and accuracy

corkycat

If you can use braid, go with it direct to your rig, there’s nothing worse than a knot, rattling through the rod rings, it creates tip bounce, and hinders your distance and accuracy
I agree, but I am put off by the probability of the braid wrapping round the tip and breaking it. I admit it is up to me to check for wrap-rounds before casting. I suppose it comes down to the old shock leader debate.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
One of the aspects often over looked is the stretch factor a maxima shock leader can offer which adds that bit of forgiveness to the set up. It's not detrimental to indication and adds that little bit of forgiveness that can make a difference to bumping or bouncing fish off on the way in. I've also never found a shock leader to impact accuracy as you still use the same far bank marker and hit the clip when casting consistently.

corbyclubman

Ended up with the map rod and Preston intensity reel, got decent distance feeders, shock leader, fluorocarbon the lot so now ready to rock and roll once it all arrives