bream...off the top???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggy

St Ives Fishing
went fishing the other day, as you do, it was hot and sunny and so i could see a large shoal of nice roach and rudd cruising around so i fished the oldest darkest castors i could find and bagged about 30 to 1.5lb, then after a few hours i could just see some large shapes moving around in my swim, ah ha! BIG roach! proper huuuuuuge buggers, brilliant, and within 5 mins i'd hooked into 1, but there was something very wrong with the fight on this "roach" stuck the net under it lifted it out and thought thats a very funny looking roach...well thats because it was a bream! and for the rest of the thats all i caught...off the top! then a VERY strange thing happened, i caught a tench off the top too! has anyone else ever experianced out like this or am i special? lol i didnt even think bream could feed off the top due to there mouth shape and they wernt breaching the surface like carp do and sticking there heads out or anything like that so all i can think even though it sounds mental is that they were swimming upside down and sucking the castors under like that...[:0]

Benji

Account Locked
I have caught bream from a foot deep, in my local pond, they have a habit when hooked that close to the surface of launching themselves out of the water, the first time it happened it shocked the hell out of me, couldnt guess what was on the end of the line. Never caught a tench up top, but have seen it on a Bob Nudd DVD.

sburton1

I've caught both bream and tench whilst floater fishing with biscuits. I suppose all fish will go where the food is if they fancy it. I've even seen an eel taking insects/snails from underneath lilly pad leaves in daylight.

zak70

if you fish shearwater lake on the longleat estate the best way to catch the bream is shallow! i fished it a couple of weeks ago and had over 200lb of slabs just spraying pellet and fishing a foot deep on the pole,the poor old carp i was going for didnt get alook in as every time i dropped in the laccy would shoot out and another bream would hook it self, crazy!!

barders

Fished shallow (18 inches) at Barford Lakes, Norwich the other year, feeding pellet, fishing corn for the usual Carp, inbetween the Carp had 11 Bream between 2 -3 lbe plus one we weighed at 7lb.

Once the Carp moved in the Bream dissapeared, it seemed to depend on the rate of feeding.

Haven't had that happen since!

Chin

i had 4 tench shallow on the pellet wag last week, very strange! literally a foot deep in 4 foot of water

i see it all the time bream and tench off the top a key place for that is Coppull ring mill you can hammer them off the top in the summer months

leejmar

plenty of time when fishing shallow i have had tench, bream, barbel even the odd gudgeon. just goes to show there are no rule for the fish, if they want it they will have it

Ady

Formerly Adymon
I was down the canal last week and a lad id met at a venue a week earlier was fishing on the top, he said im going for Carp, fair enough i said. Caught anything? Yeah mate was the reply. Opens the Keepnet to show me 4 bream over 4lbs, he then releases them and throws the net back out, i couldnt believe it, he then had another one but smaller, apparently his Grandad has had them over 6lbs off the top!

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Me too. Sozz Mucker. Ive had bream and tench up in the water plenty of times.
If you were to go on Peterstone syndicate lake in Newport you would also be very surprised to catch gudgeon a foot deep in 14 ft of water.
See us anglers think we got it sussed but them thur fish knows better mate.[;)]

Ricky24

Rich
Bream and Tench feed of the top usually when fishing commercials because the competition for food is so high on the bottom and they have to feed off the top for food.

DerekG

I was just about to ask that very question... Are all these "top" catches in commercial fisheries?

Bill G

Grandad
on one of our club waters you can catch bream and tench up in the water [18 ins deep in 8ft of water] no carp in the lake[8D]

midge99

I have over the years caught loads of bream shallow, last week I caught a barbel at about 1ft, it must have been swimming upside down

Simon R

Site Supporter
The tench in my garden pond take pellets off the top quite happily - although they have too else they'd probably starve to death [:p]

Simon

Stewart Bloor

Floater fishing for carp once I caught both a tench and a bream. Just small fish though, and I certainly wouldn't target them off the surface.

Ducktape

When they are tolling in shallow water, they'll take almost anything, and I've had one take a surface lure designed for Pike.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Originally posted by midge99

I have over the years caught loads of bream shallow, last week I caught a barbel at about 1ft, it must have been swimming upside down

Ive had a few Barbel at around 18 inches too, from the island on worm on the drop ha

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
Funny this should be posted now as only yesterday I had a couple of skimmers off the top and was pretty suprised by it... having read this thread it obviously isn't as unusual as I thought... perhaps more unusual by the sounds of it, is the fact that in 34 years of fishing I dont recall it ever happening before.

Status
Not open for further replies.