Bream Groundbait

NickNewman

No vouches for Van Der eynde supercup? I understand it's not entirely bream focused but seems to bring them in for me

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
After a bit of experimentation fishmeal groundbaits and pellets works for me. Bream see so many pellets at a lot of places now this is all you need, although sweet mixes probably still work.

SeanB

Site Supporter
My best bream catch came when I used green lipped mussel groundbait, but that could have been a lucky coincidence.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
No vouches for Van Der eynde supercup? I understand it's not entirely bream focused but seems to bring them in for me
Allways done better for bream with V.D.E Vijver or as its now its called super lake (I think vijver means lake in Flemish but not 100% sure). Super cup and super match in various proportions with secret to help bind in deeper venues or stronger flows.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I've been experimenting a bit on some good bream waters, my findings so far
1kg Sonubaits Thatchers dark
2kg Sonubaits F1 Dark
or F1 Green
or 50:50 Method paste green
250g Sonubaits Crushed hemp
The crushed hemp can be left out if you want a less active mix. I always mix mine the night before, l add a pint of water per kg and leave it. My crushed hemp is soaked seperately and usually kept in its own tub and added as per loose feed.
Riddle the mix and pop it into an polly bag with a damp towel. This is a heavy groundbait and will get to the bottom, if you want to leave a trail through the water coloumn switch to a cage feeder and very gently nip the g/bait in.
If l can refrain from adding choppy, deads and casters l will, preferring to add micros, 4mm's, corn and hemp, nothing worse than a 50yard cast and hauling back a 2oz deep hooked perch☹

Simon R

Site Supporter
Bream Fishing and ground baits....tried what feels like millions over the years.....have come to the conclusion its the particles you are feeding and the accuracy you are casting the feeder that counts for so much more than the ground bait type.
100% agree
Other in the winter when the fish aren't really feeding and a strong-smelling, low feed groundbait is all that's necessary, you won't hold a shoal of bream (or skimmers either) in your peg for long with groundbait alone.
Add casters, corn, squatts, hemp, pellets - even in waters where they may not have seen them before they'll still eat pellets - chopped worm etc.
Add vitalin or horse feed to the groundbait for balling in - depending how much you add you can make balls like concrete - ideal for prebaiting in deep water
It all helps to keep them grubbing around in your peg - regular casting if fishing the feeder will keep the feed going in or potting in a ball full of particles on the pole.
Plain brown crumb mixed 50/50 with any of the fishmeal groundbaits will suffice for most purposes.

Simon

Silver fan 82

On the subject of Bream groundbait would a method groundbait be very effective if used with an open ended or cage feeder in deep water (12 ft at deepest).

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Ground Vitalin is an excellent binder for rock hard balls when balling it. Thousands of tiny particles for the fish to grub around on.

Silver fan 82

Ground Vitalin is an excellent binder for rock hard balls when balling it. Thousands of tiny particles for the fish to grub around on.
I've not used it myself but seen some people use it on its own with particles etc added, or is it best mixed with a gb?

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I've not used it myself but seen some people use it on its own with particles etc added, or is it best mixed with a gb?
It can be used as it is straight out the bag and l have used it like that. However, l much prefer to whiz it through a food processor to a fine powder and add it to groundbait.

Silver fan 82

It can be used as it is straight out the bag and l have used it like that. However, l much prefer to whiz it through a food processor to a fine powder and add it to groundbait.
What about particles? I was thinking of pigeon conditioner for Bream. I've read that some use it as it is for Bream. I would have thought that adding it to a groundbait would be better?
Not overly experienced with Bream, I've not really targeted them specifically before but recently after catching a few decent sized ones seen them in a different light.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
What about particles? I was thinking of pigeon conditioner for Bream. I've read that some use it as it is for Bream. I would have thought that adding it to a groundbait would be better?
Not overly experienced with Bream, I've not really targeted them specifically before but recently after catching a few decent sized ones seen them in a different light.
I wouldn't know about pidgeon conditioner, never used it. I can see how using something like vitalin for pre-baiting a swim the night before a session would be cheap and effective, chuck in a tin of hemp and a couple of tins of sweetcorn with a small bag of vitalin, 5kg l think, and you would have a big bed for them to graize over.

Silver fan 82

I wouldn't know about pidgeon conditioner, never used it. I can see how using something like vitalin for pre-baiting a swim the night before a session would be cheap and effective, chuck in a tin of hemp and a couple of tins of sweetcorn with a small bag of vitalin, 5kg l think, and you would have a big bed for them to graize over.
That would work I would have thought.