Bream fishing in Yorkshire.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Never fished castle Howard but on Monday I was talking to our coal man who used to. He said the bailiff/fishery manager got caught selling bream so the estate decided to do away with anything angling related.

Bream, tench and pike were included in the rumours I heard. I've never really understood why they canned fishing, except for those on the caravan site. It strikes me that they are just encouraging those that care little for rules to chance their arm. I would be fascinated to know where the fish ended up.

Regarding selby three lakes there isn't a massive head of bream in there it's just when you find them they run from between 6 and 9lb.

I fish a Yorkshire water that has produced a 14lb 8oz bream. There are up to ten other confirmed doubles, including another at around the 14lb mark. However, the overall number of bream seems rather low. We also have some decent tench, as well as the unavoidable and inevitable carp. Despite the good bream and tench, we struggle to attract folks with much interest in anything other than carp.

This is the fish (at 11lb 8oz in 2014) that has since come out at 14lb 8oz.
2014-08-3-11lb8oz.JPG

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Never fished castle Howard but on Monday I was talking to our coal man who used to. He said the bailiff/fishery manager got caught selling bream so the estate decided to do away with anything angling related.
Regarding selby three lakes there isn't a massive head of bream in there it's just when you find them they run from between 6 and 9lb.
Nicky its sods law when asking for help about bream fishing in the Yorkshire area that something crops up on the doorstep, one of the Ulley res match anglers had a red letter day on my local River Don about 2wks ago, the area he targeted for bream is less than half mile away from where i live, i was totally surprised to read in the local press he had took 10 bream for a weight of 42lb which included a pb of 9lb....the story plus photos can be veiwed on Ravenfield Ponds facebook site, the reason being that the club owns the stretch where he fished. These days i prefer stillwaters but im tempted to go and investigate once we get rid of the flood waters.