Bream fishing in Yorkshire.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Hoping to get out and do quite a bit of bream fishing this coming season and im looking to spread my wings a little and venture further afield, so would be gratefull for any info on venues outside of South Yorkshire, allready got Southfield Res. on my bucket list, so any M.Ds secrets would be welcome, not interested in commies, bigger lakes and naturals are what im looking for. Thanks in advance.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think it's on the Leeds book now but, my favourite bream water of all time is Wintersett reservoir, Ryhil, I used to fish the middle and biggest reservoir in the area they call the half moon. Pre baiting helps. You would need a 70g feeder rod and clip up around 65m. If the boaters don't come out to play and the bream get their heads down expect anywhere between 60 and 150 pound. Oh ! And there are some big angry carp in that can strip 100m of line in seconds. Good luck ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think it's on the Leeds book now but, my favourite bream water of all time is Wintersett reservoir, Ryhil, I used to fish the middle and biggest reservoir in the area they call the half moon. Pre baiting helps. You would need a 70g feeder rod and clip up around 65m. If the boaters don't come out to play and the bream get their heads down expect anywhere between 60 and 150 pound. Oh ! And there are some big angry carp in that can strip 100m of line in seconds. Good luck ?

Some very nice Tench too.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Some very nice Tench too.
Yes mate. Around the other side there is a big weed bed next to the outfall which goes into the lower reservoir. I've had some good days there using an open end feeder and bread flake on a size 12. I've had them up to 6.5lb there but, I bet there's some in a lot bigger.

biggsy

Site Supporter
Leeds don't have it now Mick, last I heard it was run by some facebook group and day tickets were available from Mccolls in Ryhill.
Lots of big pike in there as well

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Will make a note of that one Mick even better if day-tickets can be purchased. Cheers (y)

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Hoping to get out and do quite a bit of bream fishing this coming season and im looking to spread my wings a little and venture further afield, so would be gratefull for any info on venues outside of South Yorkshire, allready got Southfield Res. on my bucket list, so any M.Ds secrets would be welcome, not interested in commies, bigger lakes and naturals are what im looking for. Thanks in advance.

Could try Countersett

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Starcarr lakes at Brandesburton looks to have some decent bream fishing from looking at their Facebook page.

fadgewacker

Yes mate. Around the other side there is a big weed bed next to the outfall which goes into the lower reservoir. I've had some good days there using an open end feeder and bread flake on a size 12. I've had them up to 6.5lb there but, I bet there's some in a lot bigger.
11lb 6oz came out in 2008!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If numbers are required, rather than big fish, Semerwater might be worth a look. It can be rather hit and miss, but get things right and it can do good bags of bream. It was part of my regular match circuit back in the nineties. The two bream venues were Semerwater and the much lamented Castle Howard Great Lake. What a venue that was on its day. I can't think of much else for a match style bream venue in the more northerly parts of Yorkshire.

I do know of a few spots with fewer, but much bigger, bream.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If numbers are required, rather than big fish, Semerwater might be worth a look. It can be rather hit and miss, but get things right and it can do good bags of bream. It was part of my regular match circuit back in the nineties. The two bream venues were Semerwater and the much lamented Castle Howard Great Lake. What a venue that was on its day. I can't think of much else for a match style bream venue in the more northerly parts of Yorkshire.

I do know of a few spots with fewer, but much bigger, bream.
Yes Sam. And the scenic view at Castle Howard was very nice on a warm summer 's day wasnt it ? I remember a lot of pole and feeder caught skimmers with the odd 5lb bream thrown in. It was good fishing.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Yes Sam. And the scenic view at Castle Howard was very nice on a warm summer 's day wasnt it ? I remember a lot of pole and feeder caught skimmers with the odd 5lb bream thrown in. It was good fishing.

My main memory of it was always drawing on the fringes of the bream shoal. If they turned up properly, they usually covered 3-5 pegs. The guy in the middle would win with 50-80lb if he was any good. The pegs to either side would get 10-30lb less in increments. I never drew on them. The nest I managed was five or so pegs from the epicentre. Luckily, on that day, I got into the tench. Still got beaten by the three on top of the bream, but I was happy getting close with a bag of lumpy tench.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It depends on how far you want to travel. Selby three lakes has a head of good Bream in it. I've had them out to 9lb.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My main memory of it was always drawing on the fringes of the bream shoal. If they turned up properly, they usually covered 3-5 pegs. The guy in the middle would win with 50-80lb if he was any good. The pegs to either side would get 10-30lb less in increments. I never drew on them. The nest I managed was five or so pegs from the epicentre. Luckily, on that day, I got into the tench. Still got beaten by the three on top of the bream, but I was happy getting close with a bag of lumpy tench.
Bang on Sam. Like you I sat and watched anglers in the distance land decent fish while I was getting roach and perch. Strangely enough most of our matches were in flat calm conditions. Just coincidence I guess but, rare we even had a ripple on. Another memory was the rabbits. The place was over run with the things. ?

Nicky Dodds

Never fished castle Howard but on Monday I was talking to our coal man who used to. He said the bailiff/fishery manager got caught selling bream so the estate decided to do away with anything angling related.
Regarding selby three lakes there isn't a massive head of bream in there it's just when you find them they run from between 6 and 9lb.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Never fished castle Howard but on Monday I was talking to our coal man who used to. He said the bailiff/fishery manager got caught selling bream so the estate decided to do away with anything angling related.
Regarding selby three lakes there isn't a massive head of bream in there it's just when you find them they run from between 6 and 9lb.
Never mind posting on here you. Get your sons house painted and then we can go fishing. And if you don't hurry up Im going to eat your chocolate young man. ???