Bream Feeder Rod

Bigtonyd

Evening everyone. As the title says I am after a feeder rod for bream/skimmers. Will be used for medium to long range. Suggestions? Open minded from cheap to acolyte etc.

Tony

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
11ft acolyte ultra does the job for me. Have had bream of all sizes from an ounce to over 6lb on it from rivers and reservoirs.

davepellet

Depends what you mean by medium to long range. The 11ft acolyte is a beautiful rod up to around 40 yards

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah yeah by medium to long I was thinking 40-60 yards would certainly need 12 plus to go further.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Preston distance master 80 gram,, preston supera 80 gram, shimano x7 90 gram, all beautiful rods

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I have the Preston Distance Master 100gm (4meter version) which will certainly do that. I also have the Browning Black Viper Mk 3 12ft (3 piece) which is ok to around 60 meters which I was using yesterday. Both rods I am very happy with. Browning also do longer rods which will cover greater distances to well over 100 meters, The Browning rod range has more sensitive tips than the Preston Distance Rod which would not be perhaps so useful at extreme ranges. Also Daiwa's Cast'izm range (if you can get one as they've been replaced by NZon) have a good selection of distance rods. My 12'6" version will chuck a method feeder to around 80 meters. Again this has a great through action as do my other bream rods. My Cast'izm rod's most sensitive tip is 1.5oz. Both Daiwa and Browning do a range of rod tips which are interchangeable within that rod range. Brownings do more sensitive tips I find. The Acolyte Ultra rod which is another great rod is supplied with the same minimum sensitivity as The daiwa rod I have, but you can order an additional lighter tip for that range to 1oz sensitivity. What I did with my acolyte Plus 11ft rod was to order two extra tips for 1, and 1.5oz (the Plus of that length comes with a lowest tip of 2oz ) Again all Acolyte rod tips are interchangeable within that range. The Ultra range is much better I think for Bream, skimmers, and roach than the Plus which works really well with carp and larger fish

Plenty to choose from at around the £200 mark. Browning's sphere range of rods are a little more expensive, and the Guru Aventus range - more than that, as are Daiwa's SLR

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
I use the Acolyte Ultra 12' for everything up to 40m or so - beautiful bream rod
The Acolyte Plus in 12' has a bit of a strange action - I was going to get one to replace my 12' IM8 but decided to hang on to the latter and use that for the 30-50m sort of range.
For bigger chucks I invested in the Acolyte Distance Feeder - an awesome bit of kit which can chuck a bomb so far you struggle to see it land - what Drennan have done is combined casting ability (which isn't difficult to do - Preston did it years ago with the Dutchmaster) with sensitivity - so you know you're winding in a 2oz roach and can actually feel the difference - with some of the old casting sticks that wouldn't happen.

To be honest if I was limited to one rod I'd use the IM8 - just because it's so versatile.
Having said that the Distance Feeder is perfectly usable for shorter chucks but does feel a bit overgunned if you're just chucking 20m or so.

Simon

Bigtonyd

Thank-you for the replies. With the acolyte is the ultra the softest then the plus and the stiffest the distance? The distance is not to stiff for skimmers etc?

Total

Site Supporter
Thank-you for the replies. With the acolyte is the ultra the softest then the plus and the stiffest the distance? The distance is not to stiff for skimmers etc?
The order you have above is correct...Basically the further distance out you fish the stiffer the rod needs to be to cope with bigger feeders, distances you need the rod to cast, the accuracy/repeatability of your casts and the stiffer/bigger size of quivertip (ounce rating) will need to achieve those things just mentioned....

This has to be balanced against the size of the fish your catching, venue, depth of water, prevailing weather conditions, whether you need to fish with braid to achieve said distance for skimmers, if your venue(s) allow the use of braid or only allowed mono'.....As you can see/appreciate the list is endless....And finally, how deep your pockets are!

It's nightmare/minefield to work through, but it can be done with careful choice and parameters set by yourself on spending and the venues you fish....There is not a one rod scenario that satisfies each and every condition.....Then you've got the reel choice to consider!....That's for another post....:giggle:

I wish you well with this 'journey' and your fishing results....Be lucky...;)