bream feed in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankylot

My mate Dave and I have just been to Ireland and this year decided to try different feeds for pre-baiting and also to have bulk without emptying the wallet. We went to his brothers as he sells animal feeds and bought up a lots of 20kg bags of various stuff that had damaged packaging. We had 12 bags for 35. The swim we filled in first we put in a soaked bag of pasture mix and in the second swim a soaked bag of baileys meadow sweet and honey. The results the next day made it clear that the pasture mix because of its variety of content such as maize, barley, wheat etc had clearly outperformed the bailey's mix. The next day we pre- baited with the bailey's stallion mix in one swim and tally ho farm competition mix in the other and there was a complete turn around with the tally ho mix and it's low oil, low protien and 7.5% ash content getting a 173lb bag of bream and hybrids for Dave.[:D] The third day the weather beat us as it was red hot and flat calm but the perch seemed fond of honeychop plus herbs which was high in fibre and sugars. Summing up i would next time look for feeds with good bio-proteins, lupins and prairie meal and stay away from palm kernels and high protien soya mixes. If anybody else has experimented with anything like this please let me know. We are going back in september and will let u know how we get on.

dpw62

what a good article john i remember these experiments well and we were very unlucky not to have caught a lot more but as you said the weather being so hot and flat calm eventuatly beat us.but you forgot to mention the 4th day when we used mare and foal mix in one swim and mollases 'super boost weight gain' in the other swim i am sure some of the fish we caught on day 1 and again on this day had put weight on after all it does what it says on the bag ! tight lines cant wait to try the 'super rip your rod of the rest mix 'we have formulated for the cootehill trip in september available at 69.99 a 25 kilo bag please feel free to place orders with myself or lankylot minimum order 10 bags,delivery is free tight lines

Billy Bongo

Site Supporter
Hello guys, very interesting "field study" there. Would just like to know which one of you wears the big red nose and which one of you has the baggy trousers and the extra long boots?

Butch

Account Locked
Sow Weaner and Calf Nuts are what we always use to pre-bait. The Sow weaner can be used in feeders, either uncut or better 50/50 with brown crumb. We also take a load of Pearl Barley with us and use this as particles along with corn in our prebaiting, with a touch of Brasm of course...........

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by lankylot

Summing up i would next time look for feeds with good bio-proteins, lupins and prairie meal and stay away from palm kernels and high protien soya mixes. If anybody else has experimented with anything like this please let me know. We are going back in september and will let u know how we get on.

John we found, last year, that the most effective feeds were those containing high proportions of pine nut kernals, citrus oils and alfalfa blend chaff (as in the Donkey & Ass mix).
Soya's ok providing you use the Brazilian rather than Argentinean which is considerably lower in protein value.
Bulking the mixture out with linseed, Digest Plus prebiotic and Yea Sacc proved to be a false economy.
I think we'll be using a load of ass this year [:p]

Simon

DerekG

My mate Dave and I have just been to Ireland and this year decided to try different feeds for pre-baiting and also to have bulk without emptying the wallet. We went to his brothers as he sells animal feeds and bought up a lots of 20kg bags of various stuff that had damaged packaging. We had 12 bags for 35. The swim we filled in first we put in a soaked bag of pasture mix and in the second swim a soaked bag of baileys meadow sweet and honey. The results the next day made it clear that the pasture mix because of its variety of content such as maize, barley, wheat etc had clearly outperformed the bailey's mix. The next day we pre- baited with the bailey's stallion mix in one swim and tally ho farm competition mix in the other and there was a complete turn around with the tally ho mix and it's low oil, low protien and 7.5% ash content getting a 173lb bag of bream and hybrids for Dave.[:D] The third day the weather beat us as it was red hot and flat calm but the perch seemed fond of honeychop plus herbs which was high in fibre and sugars. Summing up i would next time look for feeds with good bio-proteins, lupins and prairie meal and stay away from palm kernels and high protien soya mixes. If anybody else has experimented with anything like this please let me know. We are going back in september and will let u know how we get on.

Interesting read. I've been looking into doing something similar on my next trip out. Do you really feel that feed made a difference or is it just that the fish will try anything tasty thrown at them? What percentage species did you catch on the better mixes? And finally, how did you mix them together to get them out in your swim? Cheers![;)]

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by DerekG
And finally, how did you mix them together to get them out in your swim? Cheers![;)]
I can answer the last bit Derek 'cos they used the same method we used at Crom last year - soak it and then tip it over the edge of the boat[:D]

Simon

lankylot

Simon u make it sound so simple but a lot of hard work went into putting 140 kilo's in plus 200 tins of corn plus 20 kg of groundbait. How many days now mate

Simon R

Site Supporter

Simon u make it sound so simple but a lot of hard work went into putting 140 kilo's in plus 200 tins of corn plus 20 kg of groundbait. How many days now mate
John - still a damm sight easier than knocking 500 balls of groundbait up, cattying it all into the river and getting WhopperDropper knuckles[:p]

Oh and its 63

Simon

cess monkey

Calf nuts, weaner meal and cracked or flaked maize and a bit of strawberry flavouring

Simonspotatoes

All we used in Ireland this year is brown and black bread crumb bought cheaply in 20 kg bags, and added liquid mollasses bought at 5 per gallon, and netto sweetcorn at 18p per tin, and the results were excellent.

2ts

Site Supporter
sow weaner, cheap as chips, binds like glue, best cut with plain brown crumb or vitalin.
hope this helps
regards 2ts.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
corn,corn corn and more corn.They love it and its a laxative so they never get full on it.

Simonspotatoes

I get the mollasses from an animal feed merchants in York. It comes in a 5 litre white plastic container. Its used supplement food for horses, so it should be available all over.

BIG ASH

lankylot & dave i think if you mixed 50% tally ho competition mix & 50% mare & foal mix you would have the bream jumping out of the water. it could be worth a try in september...

BIG ASH

dave can you do the 'super rip your rod of the rest mix ' any cheaper if i collect it...

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by BIG ASH

dave can you do the 'super rip your rod of the rest mix ' any cheaper if i collect it...
Just texted him to find out Ash - sez he'll knock you you a fiver a bag off the price - it's a bloody bargain now [:D][;)]

Simon

dpw62

Originally posted by BIG ASH

thanks for that simon. are you thinking of making a similar purchase...
i think we could manage a deal ash if a bulk purchase was made.the contents remain strickly secret though after all we dont want everyone getting there rods pulled in as it could get quite exspensive !

Status
Not open for further replies.