bream /carp conflict ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malch

last year on the water i fish i was taking on a fairly regular basis quite good bags of bream 30-60lb averaging from 2lb -4+lb each, caught on bread or pellet.early this year a few hundred small carp were intoduced and the bream catches have diminished,it seems immpossible to hold them for any length of time.i suspect it could be the small carp unsettling the swim as they can be pretty aggresive.any opinions would be much appreciated.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Carp tend to muscle in where other fish are feeding and in doing so push the others out, many a good silvers session has ben ruined by a nuisance carp moving in ([;)])

All you can do is try to feed two swims close together so that if the carp move in on one, you could switch to the other in the hope that the Bream will have too

MarkTaylor

Account locked
I have seen this happen before and the balif on one of our waters said it is because of the basic "greed" of the carp. You can also see it when you look at a garden pond with a carp in. The carp will always overpower the goldfish when it wants to and its not normally because its hungry, just greedy ;)

I think its a shame when nice bream fisheries end up like this as its rare now days that you see a nice bream fishery in england [xx(]

edge

night owl
I fished Turf Croft in the new forest last monday. It was quite hot. I was fishing the method feeder with betaine green, chopped worm and sweetcorn and didn't get a look at any carp. It was bream all day even though there are some good carp in the lake and I saw some fine specimens cruising around the margins.

Would you put this down to the hot weather or the bait I was using?

mouse77

Find out who's idea it was to stock the carp and give him/her a good kicking for spoiling the venue.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
During a match yesterday, I caught nothing but carp when I was using moistened pellets in the feeder. On half a dozen cats I used a sweet groundbait instead of the pellets, and caught nothing but bream.

I don't think it was coincidence, so maybe you just need to ring the changes with the feed. [:)]

malch

thanks for your opinions ,i'd just like to add there has always been a decent head of carp in the pool 3lb to about 18 or 19lb wich seemed to co-exist pretty well with the bream and only it seems,the introduction of these fiesty little devils has triggered this reaction.however i will certainly try another type of feed to pellets

Jolanta Nowak

I too have seen this happen before. It also happens after restocking with quite common species like roach.

Status
Not open for further replies.