Breaking PBs (and other things)

Foul hooked

Those who saw my first post on here will know that i am a "born again" angler having returned to the sport only recently after a lengthy hiatus.
Since getting back onto fishing properly again this year i have surprisingly been doing quite well in some respects but disastrously in others.
Returning to a local lake i used to fish many years ago i was hoping that i might persuade a few Crucians, probably my favourite fish, into the net. After a couple of sessions with plenty of fish but no goldies i decided to change tactics. A small cube of luncheon meat was attached to a size 18 hook and fished tight up against the reeds in the margins. after a couple of smallish Rudd and a carp around three pound my float lifted slightly then sank halfway down the tip, just the sort of bite i was hoping for. As soon as i hooked into the fish i knew i was into my target as it jerkily ran around in circles under my rod tip and a couple of minutes later i had a new PB crucian of 1LB 6oz on the bank. Now this water used be brimming with small Crucians up to the 3/4lb mark but they seem to have become much scarcer, but of a better stamp in the twenty odd years since i first fished there.
My next two trips resulted in two more PBs at 1lb 14oz and eventually, the holy grail for me a fish that tipped the scales at exactly 2lb.
As the cold weather started to creep in, i decided it was time to tackle the river again, and after a couple of sessions with a few decent roach and small perch, i suddenly hooked a fish that stormed off briefly but then revealed itself to be a very decent looking Perch. Having never caught a member of this species over about half a pound before, i knew i was looking at my second species PB of my return to the fold. again the scales tipped in at exactly 2lb and the fish was in prime condition and beautifully coloured.
To cap off this run of good fortune, back at the local lake i also recorded a third PB in the form of a half pound Rudd (OK i know its not massive but when the majority that i have caught have been around half that size or smaller it was a nice fish for me).
This fishing lark seemed to be alot easier than i remembered it and i was beginning to feel rather smug with myself, but Karma is a bugger!
Next outing things did not quite go to plan. Having drawn a blank after a few hours on the river, i decided that a swim change was in order so being somewhat lazy, i folded down my landing net pole and stuck it into my rod holdall with net still attached, poking out the top. Needless to say, it got caught on an overhanging branch as i walked along the towpath with the result that the net was now at a jaunty 90 degree angle to the pole and unsurprisingly as i tried to bend it straight the frame snapped. with that i decided it was time to go home for my tea. Two days later, i was back at the scene of the crime and decided that it was time to try and see if i could still fish a pole. Now my pole is rather old, cheap and nasty so when fished at anything beyond about 6m it weighs a ton and sags like a grandmas t*ts. undeterred, i was determined that there were Roach or Chub to be found lurking under the bushes on the far bank. after a couple of missed bites with very sucked maggots the swim went completely dead. Ten minutes later i hooked and landed a jack pike of around 2lb. I decided that now said pike was removed from the swim i would persevere. next put in my float sank and i was well and truly snagged. As the elastic was now at full stretch i was fully expecting it to snap. Instead of the twang of breaking elastic or rig line however, what i got was a sickening crack and broken top section.
So three PBs broken, two bits of kit broken. Next time out i am hoping that i can avoid the rule of three!
On the bright side, my pole was rubbish so i now have an excuse to put in a request for a new one to Santa!

Last edited:

Foul hooked

on balance definitely so. not so keen on breaking the kit but all in a days fishing and as i said, there's always a silver lining. Been out to look at ashiny new MAP pole today ?

CarpCatcher86

Welcome back to the fold mate. Sounds like you need to upgrade to some newer modern gear. As has probably been said, things have probably moved on a lot since you last went fishing.

rudd

Site Supporter
Good work - fishing has not changed - fish are fish, plenty of new methods/baits but keeping it simple is still.the best method!