Breaking off on the method

Silver fan 82

Well it seems Im in the minority as a fan of Drennan pre tied hooklengths, whether for the method, crumb or float

the arguement that the suns got to them, doesnt really hold water as they come in plastic slips inside a cardboard packet, unless you have the packet open on your side tray for a couple of days, there aint no way of getting sun damage, they may be on a wall in display units, but they are under artificial light and at most only one single hook shows in a cellophane window

the knots are tied on computer controlled CNC machines and are thus considerably more reliable than anything you could tie by hand, and are tested regularly in production, the fallacy of 100's of asian girls sitting tying hooks at benches is exactly that, things have moved on

there will be very little difference between drennans and any other manufacturers way of producing commercially tied hooklengths, whether thier Guru, Preston, Middy, Kamasan or A N others, so advocating one above another in the way they are made is another fallacy

then theres the newish fad of buying hooklengths made by joe soap at home on his bench, and having them custom made to your sizes and design, not only are they more expensive than the commrcially available ones, you cannot tell me that the quality control is anywhere near shop bought ready mades

Myself, If I had 8 hooklengths fail one after another in use, I would be looking at something else, and user error would be my first thought
Some good points there Mick.

John Step

Site Supporter
I dont match fish or normally fish commercials but I do use hybrid feeders on high stocked club lakes. Actually last weekends Alders was the first time I have fished a commercial.
I am not sure what size fish(carp?) are being referred to here so my tackle may seem like shark tackle to you match boys.
I have a Daiwa something or other that is quite beefy and use 10lb mainline ((Dont faint) and I buy the Guru or Korum ready tied 8s and 10 to 12lb bs 4 inch hooklinks.
I catch the carp usually just under doubles but often go to 16 or 18 lb. and do not get broken off.

I make the point that it doesnt seem to deter any smaller size fish. I caught loads on Oak with this gear which were mostly 6 to 8 lb.

I would also make the observation that last weekend was an eye opener for me match wise. I was astounded at the amount of tackle on those 4 wheel trolleys. I thought carpers took a lot of stuff!!
I hadnt realised the amount of keepnets on show on the grass prior to the off and was amazed by the big bags of maggots being carried down.
You must all be millionaires. ;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dont match fish or normally fish commercials but I do use hybrid feeders on high stocked club lakes. Actually last weekends Alders was the first time I have fished a commercial.
I am not sure what size fish(carp?) are being referred to here so my tackle may seem like shark tackle to you match boys.
I have a Daiwa something or other that is quite beefy and use 10lb mainline ((Dont faint) and I buy the Guru or Korum ready tied 8s and 10 to 12lb bs 4 inch hooklinks.
I catch the carp usually just under doubles but often go to 16 or 18 lb. and do not get broken off.

I make the point that it doesnt seem to deter any smaller size fish. I caught loads on Oak with this gear which were mostly 6 to 8 lb.

I would also make the observation that last weekend was an eye opener for me match wise. I was astounded at the amount of tackle on those 4 wheel trolleys. I thought carpers took a lot of stuff!!
I hadnt realised the amount of keepnets on show on the grass prior to the off and was amazed by the big bags of maggots being carried down.
You must all be millionaires. ;)
or poor pensioners !

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
I think you're right in using the wrong type/size for the job. 0.16mm is considered by most as too light for Method work. Generally it seems 0.20mm and above not below. I just think it's a selection of the wrong diameter and/or B/S of line. Not the type, make or brand. Maxim is not a fair comparison either as it is very thick for it's B/S.

There's nothing wrong with that make/brand of line. It's not 'old hat' as you would be told. Also another line with 'more' stretch isn't going to help as the hooklength is less than 4" of line. That bit can't stretch very much at all no matter what make or brand it is. The vast majority of nylon mono lines stretch at break at around 25%+. It's just that some stretch slooooooly and keep going to that 25% and others stretch quickly and easily but stop quickly and still get to the same 25%.

Also, to have so many of exactly the same break tells me it was the wrong combination of gear. Both using h'lengths too thin/light etc. Rather than you have the one packet of 8 hooks all tied badly. If they were that bad I am sure shops would be returning them to Drennan by the thousand. Which my local dealer says is not the case.

Plus, check your rod. Some fish with rods which are too stiff and at short distances, and especially when fish are closer, it's often a disaster waiting to happen.
I agree, I think the issue was I was fishing far too light and won't be making the same mistake again.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
I think you've answered your own question here mate. Knotless knot for your hook and a Fig8 for your loop. Get yourself a Sensas loop tyer for quick easy Fig8 loops.
Screenshot_20210804_052732_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
You sir are a legend. I ordered one it arrived today. Brilliant bit of kit! Thanks for the tip

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_201311.jpg
    IMG_20210809_201311.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 0

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ihope the Drennan hook lengths are ok, i bought some today Power bandits,because
shop was out of Guru banded hook lengths, which i have been using with no problems
so watch this space

Marker50

Site Supporter
8lb sensor main line.
Guru 14s or 12s qm1 pre tyed 4 "
Spike band or quick stop
Cant remember last snap.
Dont see point in tying my own for that price.
Guru in that size/lenth use a good line strenth.
Do my own if 6"or strate spade ete in summer as most are .17 at most and in my matches its snap time as no small where I normaly match fish.

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
Did you try changing method feeders or have a look at mould?
Suspect there is a rough or sharp edge in play.

Another point when bagging and especially on method of pellet waggler but should be done regardless whatever type of angling you are doing and I suspect the cause of thousands of lost fish -
Hooklenghts rub on landing net lips and need checking regularly for wear, abrasion, knots or kinks.
Not just hook lengths but also between 6 to 8" up from the method (ie the depth of the landing net) will also take a lot of hammer, had a rig go there after / during silly bag up sessions.