Breaking off on the method

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
Evening all. Tried my hand at the method today for the first time. I enjoyed it but I have never broke off so many times ever!

I fished 6lb guru pulse line. 15g method feeder to a drennan carp bandit. 5lb 14 hook 4 inches long.

First break was definitely my fault. I struck and shouldn't. It broke at the HL straight away.

2nd one was play a small carp, snapped at HL again.

I adjusted my drag In case I had bullied it although I don't think I did.

Next fish same again, and again on the next. I lowered the drag to the minimum. It was pulling line just on the retrieval to re cast.

I got through a full pack of 8 hooklinks. I've never had this happen before. I made a HL using 4lb diawa sensor and landed a carp around 5lb no probs.

I never buy pre tied rigs but thought I'd give them a try as I haven't used the method before or banded pellet

Can anyone offer any advice as I really don't want a repeat of this.

Tia

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Evening all. Tried my hand at the method today for the first time. I enjoyed it but I have never broke off so many times ever!

I fished 6lb guru pulse line. 15g method feeder to a drennan carp bandit. 5lb 14 hook 4 inches long.

First break was definitely my fault. I struck and shouldn't. It broke at the HL straight away.

2nd one was play a small carp, snapped at HL again.

I adjusted my drag In case I had bullied it although I don't think I did.

Next fish same again, and again on the next. I lowered the drag to the minimum. It was pulling line just on the retrieval to re cast.

I got through a full pack of 8 hooklinks. I've never had this happen before. I made a HL using 4lb diawa sensor and landed a carp around 5lb no probs.

I never buy pre tied rigs but thought I'd give them a try as I haven't used the method before or banded pellet

Can anyone offer any advice as I really don't want a repeat of this.

Tia
I have had problems with the drennan hooklengths myself, 0.22 or 0.23 snapping at the net . They seem brittle to me and i purchased loads ,i now stick mostly with guru or preston.

satinet

Site Supporter
I find pre-tied hook looks are often weak. I generally don't bother with them.

Even so as Neil says the normal hook length rules don't really apply to mentod fishing.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Tbh I bet 6lb Maxima is a stronger line than 0.17 high tech mono.
It depends on what you mean by "stronger". It will certainly be tougher, or the other way round, less brittle. In a steady pull test as will be done to establish BS the 0.17 will be "stronger" though more easily broken by a sudden shock loading. I explain this in my blog on commercial feeder fishing.

"Hooklengths & Mainline
One thing newcomers to fishing this type of feeder find confusing is that the hooklength is often stronger than the main line. That goes against everything you have been taught. But there is logic behind it.

Hooklength line will tend to be a high tech (pre-stretched) line while the main line will be traditional (unstretched) mono. The pre-stretched line while finer for the same breaking strain is somewhat brittle and thus can break when subjected to a shock loading as when a fish bolts when it first feels the hook or when it shakes its head close in. On the pole this is countered using elastic. On the feeder we use a stronger breaking strain hooklength and the stretch in the main line, the rod's action and probably a baitrunner facility and/or reel drag to cushion the initial bite and lunges under the rod tip.

For casting purposes we want a mainline with a balance between strength and thickness. The strength to withstand the casting shock and lunges of the fish, the thinner line to aid distance. Once the feeder has been cast there will be enough stretch in the line for it to withstand the initial shock of a bite. So while we may use, say 6lb main line the hooklength could be 7, 8 or even 10lb. Even when landing the fish there is enough combined give in the line, rod and reel so that even double figure fish present no problem on 6lb mainline."

OldTaff

Site Supporter
For m method work I’m on (self tied) QM1’s to 0.19 n-Gauge and 8lb Drennan ledger mainline

Other than getting duffed up on snags I’ve yet to have a breakoff

Maybe it’s the batch of pre-tied hooks? Possibly they’ve been subjected to prolonged daylight and it’s made them brittle ?

Cut off the line and re-tie them yourself so you can be confident that’s not an issue

You don’t say what feeder or quick change beads you are using - maybe there’s a rough edge somewhere nicking the hook lengths ??

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Now that the carp have woken up properly my standard method set up is 10lbs Daiwa Tournament ST line which has a stated diameter of 0.26 and an actual diameter of 0.24. Hook length is either 0.19 or 0.21 preston power line noting they actually mic up at 0.21 mm and 0.23 mm respectively.

When coupled with a size 14 or12 Preston MCM-B hook to a 6mm pellet it sounds over gunned and crude however what many fail to understand is that it's a crude method and if you're going to catch 200lbs on the method, the tackle has to be up to the repetitive strain that comes with it.

I used to use 8lbs Shimano Black Technium for a long time without issue, (it was Steve Ringers go to line before he went to Daiwa), however after a couple of main line breakages recently either due to age or constant strain I stepped it up.

The one thing I will say in this and any other type of fishing is that you have to have confidence in both your ability and what you use. I've found no detriment to bites or catch rate and I take no prisoners having caught some very big carp on this set up while catching 1-2 lbs fish the next put in. If you read Steve Ringers posts on FB he's another that fishes heavier rather than lighter when it comes to carp and commercials. The key is knowing what you can get away with and exploiting it to your advantage.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
It goes against all logic but you need a stronger hooklength than mainline. 7-8lb would be my choice, I use Reflo Power 0.17 thast is near 8lb BS with 6lb Maxima on the reel.
It's a strange concept to have a stronger hooklink but I can understand why. I'd be concerned of losing my rig though and possibly tehtering a fish

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
I have had problems with the drennan hooklengths myself, 0.22 or 0.23 snapping at the net . They seem brittle to me and i purchased loads ,i now stick mostly with guru or preston.
I thought of giving the Guru ones a try. A few folk have recommended them. I've never used pre tied before and going forward I'll prob stick to making my own as my first attempt failed miserably.

Having said that I'll definately try again before banishing pre tied.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
Tbh I bet 6lb Maxima is a stronger line than 0.17 high tech mono.
I've always used Diawa sensor on the reel and Maximia for HL and never broke like I did today. The guy in the tackle shop said those are old lines theres better now! Hence I have Guru pulse and these pre tied. To be Honest I'm not that impressed with the Pulse, maybe it'll grow on me

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
It depends on what you mean by "stronger". It will certainly be tougher, or the other way round, less brittle. In a steady pull test as will be done to establish BS the 0.17 will be "stronger" though more easily broken by a sudden shock loading. I explain this in my blog on commercial feeder fishing.

"Hooklengths & Mainline
One thing newcomers to fishing this type of feeder find confusing is that the hooklength is often stronger than the main line. That goes against everything you have been taught. But there is logic behind it.

Hooklength line will tend to be a high tech (pre-stretched) line while the main line will be traditional (unstretched) mono. The pre-stretched line while finer for the same breaking strain is somewhat brittle and thus can break when subjected to a shock loading as when a fish bolts when it first feels the hook or when it shakes its head close in. On the pole this is countered using elastic. On the feeder we use a stronger breaking strain hooklength and the stretch in the main line, the rod's action and probably a baitrunner facility and/or reel drag to cushion the initial bite and lunges under the rod tip.

For casting purposes we want a mainline with a balance between strength and thickness. The strength to withstand the casting shock and lunges of the fish, the thinner line to aid distance. Once the feeder has been cast there will be enough stretch in the line for it to withstand the initial shock of a bite. So while we may use, say 6lb main line the hooklength could be 7, 8 or even 10lb. Even when landing the fish there is enough combined give in the line, rod and reel so that even double figure fish present no problem on 6lb mainline."
That explains a hell of a lot for me actually. Thanks for that.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
For m method work I’m on (self tied) QM1’s to 0.19 n-Gauge and 8lb Drennan ledger mainline

Other than getting duffed up on snags I’ve yet to have a breakoff

Maybe it’s the batch of pre-tied hooks? Possibly they’ve been subjected to prolonged daylight and it’s made them brittle ?

Cut off the line and re-tie them yourself so you can be confident that’s not an issue

You don’t say what feeder or quick change beads you are using - maybe there’s a rough edge somewhere nicking the hook lengths ??
I checked the feeder and even changed it thinking there might be a sharp spot or something. All the breaks came at either the loop knot or the hook, nothing in between

satinet

Site Supporter
Daiwa sensor is way under rated. 6lb sensor is 0.24mm. 8lb is 0.28. they both fish like it. Personally tend to go on diameter as I feel that's more realistic.

There's no point fishing light on method/hybrid/pellet feeders because the hook link is basically hidden. Put it like this the fish off happy to chow off a plastic feeder they probably aren't that bothered about another fraction of line diameter.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
Now that the carp have woken up properly my standard method set up is 10lbs Daiwa Tournament ST line which has a stated diameter of 0.26 and an actual diameter of 0.24. Hook length is either 0.19 or 0.21 preston power line noting they actually mic up at 0.21 mm and 0.23 mm respectively.

When coupled with a size 14 or12 Preston MCM-B hook to a 6mm pellet it sounds over gunned and crude however what many fail to understand is that it's a crude method and if you're going to catch 200lbs on the method, the tackle has to be up to the repetitive strain that comes with it.

I used to use 8lbs Shimano Black Technium for a long time without issue, (it was Steve Ringers go to line before he went to Daiwa), however after a couple of main line breakages recently either due to age or constant strain I stepped it up.

The one thing I will say in this and any other type of fishing is that you have to have confidence in both your ability and what you use. I've found no detriment to bites or catch rate and I take no prisoners having caught some very big carp on this set up while catching 1-2 lbs fish the next put in. If you read Steve Ringers posts on FB he's another that fishes heavier rather than lighter when it comes to carp and commercials. The key is knowing what you can get away with and exploiting it to your advantage.
My inital thoughts were to step it up, which I will do next time round.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Site Supporter
Daiwa sensor is way under rated. 6lb sensor is 0.24mm. 8lb is 0.28. they both fish like it. Personally tend to go on diameter as I feel that's more realistic.

There's no point fishing light on method/hybrid/pellet feeders because the hook link is basically hidden. Put it like this the fish off happy to chow off a plastic feeder they probably aren't that bothered about another fraction of line diameter.
Your spot on there. I'm going to step it up for round 2 next week

Griffo

Site Supporter
Throw another one in what hook knot are you using, for years I used spade end hooks tied myself, I now only use eyed and the knotless knot because there is zero risk of that last bit of friction when you tighten the finished knot, on short hook lengths like the method I found I was snapping a few hook-lengths not had the issue since changing to eyed and knotless knot a few years ago