Breaking Boundaries

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called: "Breaking Boundaries - The Science of our Planet" - Presented by David Attenborough.

It detailed the 9 'boundaries' within which we must live in order to continue to survive on this planet. (Ozone depletion, Climate change etc.)
It also detailed how many of these we have already broken through, in some cases probably irrevocably.

It tried to carry an upbeat tone by insisting that it isn't too late to fix things. But at the same time it explained that in order to do so we would
need fast and drastic measures such as world co-operation to stop deforestation, pollution etc., and a massive move towards vegetarianism.

It is an excellent watch and I recommend it to anyone who has Netflix. But I couldn't help coming away with the overriding feeling that there
is no way world governments and rulers are going to get anywhere close to what is required, (If they even try at all).

To quote Private Fraser from Dad's Army; "We're all Doomed! - DOOMED I TELL YOU!" - But I'm genuinely not joking.

bluemack

Site Supporter
This is why i avoided watching it i would get really down and depressed knowing nothing would be done about it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If it wasn’t for David Attenborough I could have watched that. I find him extremely hypocritical. For a man who has spent all his working life jetting around the world for his job to now start spouting that we must not drive, take a plane journey, not eat meat …. Nah, he’s not for me. Although I do agree with the above and have now started eating two steaks a week instead of three. 🤣🤣

nejohn

Site Supporter
My big gripe about all of these documentaries about the state of the planet is that they all avoid addressing the big elephant in the room that is over population, even if we stopped all pollution today and all stopped eating meat the planet can not possibly support the current worldwide population growth and until someone has the balls to actually stand up and address this then we will always be fighting a losing battle. We are getting to the point now where we need to seriously think about limiting reproduction especially in areas that are not capable of sustaining high levels of population

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It bugs me when these on telly bang on about diets and getting your '5 a day'. Sorry to say but I'm not cutting my meals down to 5 a day for nobody.
You a ‘ grazer ‘ Peter ? That’s what my misses calls me. 🤣🤣

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
If it wasn’t for David Attenborough I could have watched that. I find him extremely hypocritical. For a man who has spent all his working life jetting around the world for his job to now start spouting that we must not drive, take a plane journey, not eat meat …. Nah, he’s not for me. Although I do agree with the above and have now started eating two steaks a week instead of three. 🤣🤣
Everything about our lives is a compromise. Surely the amount of good he has done in highlighting nature and its surrounding problems is greater than the harm he has done "jetting around the world." Also take into account that when he first started the danger was not realised.

Would you refuse to drive someone to hospital because it would pollute the atmosphere?

PS. I didn't realise that he said we must not eat meat, or drive, or take a plane journey. Are you sure about that?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My big gripe about all of these documentaries about the state of the planet is that they all avoid addressing the big elephant in the room that is over population, even if we stopped all pollution today and all stopped eating meat the planet can not possibly support the current worldwide population growth and until someone has the balls to actually stand up and address this then we will always be fighting a losing battle. We are getting to the point now where we need to seriously think about limiting reproduction especially in areas that are not capable of sustaining high levels of population
Why did I read that and think of Barnsley ? 🤣🤣🤣

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Planet needs less people, pretty simple really.

If we continue with reckless breeding like it's a god given right then we're all doomed.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Yes and to be utterly brutal, the way Covid has been handled is detrimental to the species as a whole. It's the unpleasant truth, but can't be ignored forever, although it will be, because any elected politician who took it on wouldn't remain elected very long (minus dictators like Bolonsaro who actually has this pegged correctly in my view - but little else he does, I must add).

Covid has contributed to the deaths of thousands of people. It has caused heartbreak, sadness, economic loss, all manner of problems. The fact remains, as viruses go, it's relatively mild, which is one of the reasons why it's so successful. However, the hysteria it's caused makes me honestly believe that if a truly devastating virus emerged, or a virus with visibly grotesque symptoms, the world as we know it would decend into anarchy and chaos, dog eat dog. It will happen, it's a mathematical certainty, it's just a question of when.

It's just not possible to fight nature and regardless of whether or not this emerged from a lab initially, the subsequent evolution of the virus has been entirely natural since then. This needs to be taken as warning shot to humanity about over population, but will it be?

NickNewman

You are all ignorant to the fact that we can change things whenever we want to, we just don't do it. It's absolutely disgraceful to suggest that over population is the cause and not discuss further how we can change the situation and address population increase at the same time when there is empirical and scientific evidence that provides us with significant insight into how we should change things. This is not a woke call or a tree hugging fad claim. The irreversible changes have been made by the past generations, charges need to be implemented now. Past generations need to accept responsibility for their ignorance and push for real change, not unreachable goals or unrealistic unaltered future changes. It's pretty dispicible I no o and ignorant on the part of all of society.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I watched something about climate change last night. How we must do this and that etc. Then a thought struck me, what melted the last ice age? CFC's weren't about, man made destruction wasn't about, no factories etc. So that leaves just one thing...Nature. Yeah, people go on about fixing the planet, greenhouse gasses, global warming and other such stuff, but in the end, nature will win just like it did during the last ice age. You can't fix nature.

Pigmeal

Attenborough is another doom and gloom merchant .very few qualifications to back up his claims .holidays alot though and spouts tripe.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Werner Herzog described Attenborough's documentaries as 'like looking at the moon through a telescope'.