Bread Punches

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersuperleeds

Couple of questions for the bread fishing experts.

Are the bread punches worth the money or is it just as good to mold bread around the hook?

Also can you punch luncheon meat with a bread punch and again is it worth it?

Cheers in advance[:H]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Yes to all the above!
I am no bread fishing expert but have used it quite a lot over the years.
I bought a set of 4 bread punches from my local tackle shop and use them more for luncheon meat than bread. A change in size of pieces of meat can sometimes make a real difference.
If using bread for Roach etc. it can help to flatten the bread with a rolling pin the night before and punch out the bread, on the bank, using a tile or other hard surface. The bread then swells in the water. Can be a great way to fish, especially when used with bread crumb.

wokkie

Riccardo El Paxo
Also can you punch luncheon meat with a bread punch and again is it worth it?
Not really.All bread punch are very shallow,so that it can compress the bread to sink.If you use that for meat,it will break the meat unless it's a very thin slice.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
The bread punches I bought are like a tube, the bread just pops out of the other end.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The best bread punches on the market are the;

Drennan Brass Head punches,

these come in 2 different size sets, small covering the sizes, 2.5 mm to 6.00mm, and large covering the sizes 7.5 mm to 11.00mm

they retail around the 8.00 mark though can be picked up cheaper on ebay

they cut the bread cleanly, which is not the case with some other brands and compress it well,

the innovative slot cut in the side of the brass cutting head allows you to hook the punched bread cleanly without the struggle to get it out the head without tearing,

you need a good bread as well, something like the matchmans favourite, Warburtons thick sliced, the bread has a slightly sticky texture and compresses really well, it can be used straight off the loaf with no soaking, pressing or preperation required

the other major requirement a small stiff hard board to cut the bread on, I use a 8 inch plastic cutting board I got from "Wilko's" for 99p bargain, just fits the bread slice nice

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Bread punches are not really suitable for meat, but punched Bread used with Liquidised Bread can be a deadly bait on it's day,a good set of punches are well worth having, I still use a set that my father made for me when I was a teenager,they were andstill are better than most of the marketed one's.[:T]

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

The bread punches I bought are like a tube, the bread just pops out of the other end.

Brian
think you will find they are meat punches [:T][:T][:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
There are basically two types of punches. The small ones up to 5mm or so are designed purely for bread and are normally used on canals. They will be useles with meat. You can get bigger punches that are for bread or meat. These are normally tubes like an apple corer with a section cut out of the side wall so the punched meat or bread can be removed easily.

One point about the Drennan punches. I found the handles too short so I bought some biros and glued the brass head into these so they are easier to handle, particularly on winter days.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
then all you need to do is find an image bread punch box a top bit of kit, cant believe they stopped making them.

cess monkey

Seymo make a floating bread punch set, mine`s done me proud over the years.
http://www.ibstocktackle.co.uk/seymo---bread-punch-1680-p.asp

griff06

Site Supporter
Iuse different pieces of an old no2 section ,i cut them about 3in long ,push them in the bread,then you can blow the piece of bread out,fold the bread over a bit ,squeeze and hook it on ,stays on well if your using waggler.

adrian john tas

Site Supporter
as has been said i have a image bread box and a set on image bread punches which i picked up at a car boot sale for the grand total of 2 image bread boxes are like gold dust to find so was well chuffed to find one at any price next best punches you can get are made from old car aerials with dowel glued inside to make area to compress bread you can then play with them to get the diameter and compression to your liking in as many sizes as you require

nutmeg

Site Supporter
used to make bread punch's from old biros, they worked a treat

gillm

This is what you want, it punches bread, meat and paste:

http://iansfishingtackle.co.uk/images/bait_punch_set.jpg

I got mine for 4.99, it has 4 different sizes and the instructions are on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.