Bread Punch size

Sad Teacher

Hi Everyone, I want to try bread punch fishing on a small lake that contains a reasonable head of tench about 3lb and a lot of small silvers and even smaller perch!! i figured the small perch would not be attracted to bread as much. I like the look of the Drennan sets which comes basically in 2mm--> 7mm or 7mm plus. Question is do you think i could use the 7mm in smaller set to fish for tench as I like to fish for the silvers when tench are not biting and so smaller setis more useful.

Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have the 2-7mm drennan set. Seems the perfect sizes to me as if I need any bigger than 7mm I’d just use flake.

Silver fan 82

Hi Everyone, I want to try bread punch fishing on a small lake that contains a reasonable head of tench about 3lb and a lot of small silvers and even smaller perch!! i figured the small perch would not be attracted to bread as much. I like the look of the Drennan sets which comes basically in 2mm--> 7mm or 7mm plus. Question is do you think i could use the 7mm in smaller set to fish for tench as I like to fish for the silvers when tench are not biting and so smaller setis more useful.

Cheers
The 7mm would be suitable for Tench. I have found that sometimes Tench prefer a smaller bait but other times a bigger bait. Picky little blighters at times!
You could even try 3 or 4 discs on a hair rig.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Are you not going to get battered with the small roach choose what size bread you are trying Sad Teacher ? I’d be tempted to try a lobby injected with a bit of air to pop it up off the bottom slightly. Early morning or late evening seems the best time for me to catch Tench. Maybe Tinca Steve will want to correct me on this one. He’s more Tench than I am. Good luck. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The 7mm would be suitable for Tench. I have found that sometimes Tench prefer a smaller bait but other times a bigger bait. Picky little blighters at times!
You could even try 3 or 4 discs on a hair rig.
When I was a kid Tench bites seemed to be straight under or a positive lift bite. Nowadays they can be more finicky than crucians. Are we giving them too much bait do you think ? Back in the day I could catch maybe 12 tench in a sitting using a couple of slices of bread. Mothers pride though. No other bread came close. 😁😁😁

SeanB

Site Supporter
When I was a kid Tench bites seemed to be straight under or a positive lift bite. Nowadays they can be more finicky than crucians. Are we giving them too much bait do you think ? Back in the day I could catch maybe 12 tench in a sitting using a couple of slices of bread. Mothers pride though. No other bread came close. 😁😁😁
Did they have sliced bread that long ago 😁

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Did they have sliced bread that long ago 😁
😂😂. Cheeky young whipper snapper. 😂😂. I remember when Tench were Tench and it took three of us to haul one in. Proper fish in my day lad. 😂😂. Zerkalo was just a glint in his Dads eye and the only thing orange was a jubilee. You’re gonna have to Google jubilee now aren’t ya ? 😂😂. They tasted better when you’d rolled them around on the floor for five minutes. That’s all the clues you’re getting. Sodding kids. 😁😁😁

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
😂😂. Cheeky young whipper snapper. 😂😂. I remember when Tench were Tench and it took three of us to haul one in. Proper fish in my day lad. 😂😂. Zerkalo was just a glint in his Dads eye and the only thing orange was a jubilee. You’re gonna have to Google jubilee now aren’t ya ? 😂😂. They tasted better when you’d rolled them around on the floor for five minutes. That’s all the clues you’re getting. Sodding kids. 😁😁😁

Can't remember the last time I fished Bread. Think the only time I've fished it is flake for Chub or punch on the canal (to mixed results when we used to mostly catch Gudgeon) when I was a real whippersnapper. Does sound deadly for Tench though, I might have to try it next time I fish my Tench water instead of maggots.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The trick with bread is keeping it on the hook and feeding it. I’m ok with it punched with it liquidised as feed but I’m not that good with flake or balls just got no confidence it’s still attached unless I can see it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The trick with bread is keeping it on the hook and feeding it. I’m ok with it punched with it liquidised as feed but I’m not that good with flake or balls just got no confidence it’s still attached unless I can see it.
The more you use it the more confident you will become. Just be a tad careful feeding it. It fills your fish quite quickly and they’ll soon move on if you’re not careful. 👍

Silver fan 82

I don't know mate, maybe sometimes we are over feeding? I do know that what can work wonders one day may not the next lol!

Rick123

Site Supporter
Are you not going to get battered with the small roach choose what size bread you are trying Sad Teacher ? I’d be tempted to try a lobby injected with a bit of air to pop it up off the bottom slightly. Early morning or late evening seems the best time for me to catch Tench. Maybe Tinca Steve will want to correct me on this one. He’s more Tench than I am. Good luck. 👍

Hay! syringe, air, getting a bit too high tech this guys. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: What happened if you inject yourself?:eek:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
mostly dobbing for me so use my large bread punches and then my meat punches for larger sizes