Bread punch fishing

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
In Bingley you don't (squatt or pinkie) as it's hardly fished hence they become accustomed to families feeding bread. Caster still has its day, as does worm ??‍♂️
Jonathan mate. My Christmas wish would be for the Leeds / Liverpool canal to be what it was in the eighties and early nineties for you pal. I have very fond memories of fishing at Bingley, Soltaire and Thackley. Wish I could turn the clock back. ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^:giggle: I did smile when you managed to work the above into your reply!;):ROFLMAO:

@Dek....All good suggestions above and worth trying providing you are on numbers of fish in the first place.....On the odd occasion when the fishing is really difficult I've reverted to fishing as in the video below...Be lucky...(y)

That wall he’s looking over is only four foot tall. ??.

Dek

That wall he’s looking over is only four foot tall. ??.
Thought it was funny when he said steam the bread over the kettle, no microwaves back then?, bet the kettle was a whistler too, mind you it might be better than the microwave, like the idea of drying out for extra fine though ?

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
But you must agree Tommy does/did that mostly on the Grand Union and not on the Rochdale...a different kettle of fish (excuse the pun)
Will agree that going lighter may improve results
The most I've fed is two loaves for 30lb on the cut in Winter. To say I landed on them is an under statement. I placed my box down for a recci and the water erupted in jumping fish. 0.30 NG finesse - 0.10 match team - 20 B511 on the whip. 7mm bread punch with the olivette 2" from the hook. Crude but worked! Fed every put in. Usually on the pole I'd feed one pot squeezed and another loose. Fish it out. Then feed another squeezed every 30 minutes or once bites fade.

Last edited:

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Different canals need different approaches I guess. Caster and worm were always for 'bonus' fish back when I fished them with pinkie over squatt being the mainstay. The reason I mention trying different baits is it might help to work out if doing something wrong with the punch or if there's no fish there.
I catch more Bream in summer on corn feeding liquidised frozen corn (softer) with either condensed milk or rice pudding. All blitzed together. Fed 250ml at a time. 3' - 5' depth at the most.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The most I've fed is two loaves for 30lb on the cut in Winter. To say I landed on them is an under statement. I placed my box down for a recci and the water erupted in jumping fish. 0.30 NG finesse - 0.10 match team - 20 B511 on the whip. 7mm bread punch with the olivette 2" from the hook. Crude but worked! Fed every put in. Usually on the pole I'd feed one pot squeezed and another loose. Fish it out. Then feed enough squeezed every 30 minutes or once bites fade.
sounds like the town welland or the very best pegs on the Old Nene at March!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
mention of Tommy Boyce - here's another "ex Black Horse" angler demonstrating a very different way of feeding for punch fishing

not one I'd recommend for a rock hard canal ... but you never know :p

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The most I've fed is two loaves for 30lb on the cut in Winter. To say I landed on them is an under statement. I placed my box down for a recci and the water erupted in jumping fish. 0.30 NG finesse - 0.10 match team - 20 B511 on the whip. 7mm bread punch with the olivette 2" from the hook. Crude but worked! Fed every put in. Usually on the pole I'd feed one pot squeezed and another loose. Fish it out. Then feed another squeezed every 30 minutes or once bites fade.
Did you get any pike problems Jonathan ? We do on our canal. ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
mention of Tommy Boyce - here's another "ex Black Horse" angler demonstrating a very different way of feeding for punch fishing

Great little video that NCP. Enjoyed that. ?

Dek

more like two foot! ;)

Some great footage there. Underwater camera on my canal would reveal how many traffic cones and Asda trollies are present??

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
shows that there is never just one way to skin a cat when fishing ;)

Rob's been telling anyone who'd listen to him about that method for a few years ... I wonder how many have actually tried it out!

baggy

Mark Saunders
My mate Tommy Boyce can feed up to 3 loaves. Try fishing at 4m with 0.08 - 0.06 with a 22 B511. One olivette rig no droppers (move olivette around 2" - 12"). Another rig strung out. In a tub with your liccy add some water to the corner. Feed a thumb nail of liccy every put in. It doesn't need to be too accurate either. Dips are probably small fish hence going lighter.
I used to fish a lot on the Taunton & Bridgwater Canal in the 90s and punch fishing was the main tactic but on 3, 4 & 5m whips using light crow quill wagglers. The canal had a constant flow like a slow river and most matches you would get through up to 5 loaves. Mike Stone won the Kamasan in 94 fishing this way on the T&B.

The Wagglers are ultra sensitive and you fed using a small ground bait punch to make sure the nuggets of bread were the small size

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I used to fish a lot on the Taunton & Bridgwater Canal in the 90s and punch fishing was the main tactic but on 3, 4 & 5m whips using light crow quill wagglers. The canal had a constant flow like a slow river and most matches you would get through up to 5 loaves. Mike Stone won the Kamasan in 94 fishing this way on the T&B.

The Wagglers are ultra sensitive and you fed using a small ground bait punch to make sure the nuggets of bread were the small size
I used to fish that way but with mini bodied wagglers. 2 no 6

Dek

Been fishing for around 40+ years now so i know quite a bit about most methods and generally do ok. Thought i would try my hand at bread punch fishing for first time and after watching several videos of the method on youtube i thought yeah seems straight forward enough, however had two fishless attempts now so either i am doing something wrong or there just aint enough roach in the canal where i am fishing. I fish the Rochdale Canal at chadderton/Middleton, average depth 4ft and very clear at the moment. Used a 0.5 gr float with olivette and droppers just touching and also just off btm, 4 and 5mm punch over a walnut size licci bread, main line 0.10 to 0.08 hook size 18. anyway had to little dips all day, any tips would be most helpful, do i need to scale down further? Notvtgectypecto give up and will continue to try and improve.
Well, finally found the fish today. Quite a longer hike than i would of liked but worth it in the end. The stretch i headed to is adjacent to houses and some of the properties have taken advantage of the spare land aside the canal, decking, chairs man caves etc. one householder as introduced son lillies and what looks like bamboo or very tall reeds that take up the last third of the canal, easily manageable at around 9/ ten metres.
It was obvious on arrival that i was not going to blank today as it was alive with small fish and a very large pike was amongst the reeds and kept surging at the shoal which caused the water to explode with fish.
A slight tow so decided on a 0.3 g float strung out bottom third and 0.9 to 0.7 and a 22s hook, finished up with around 40+ roach and odd skimmer on punch and pinkie, could have had more but the guy (freindly chap) who owns the house across was chatting to me most of the time which i did not mind as he enlightened me on the fishing in summer where Tench and good bream are caught, anyway my confidence is restored again, thanks for all the good tips guys.