Bread punch fishing

Dek

Hi Zerkalo
Difficult to get hold of squatt at the moment, was catching quite well on Maggot/casters in summer but the interest in those baits tailed off as the weather cooled, tried pinkie but not great hence turning my attention to the punch, never been prolific on this canal, some good days some not so good and the latter being the trend of late, as i say it has had a few issues over the years and i suspect this has impacted the fishing, did spot a shoal of bream on the surface in summer on a scorching day, around 30 in the shoal between 2 and 4 pound mark and caught lots of small Roach and Perch on occasion so bodes well for the future.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Faced with your venue I would have a session with a few lines to see if anything responds.
Punch line down the track, a bit of dark groundbait and pinkie line plus a chopped worm and caster line all separate and spaced apart.
If nothing responds to any of these then there cant be much swimming around.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Alongside fishing the punch I also fish a "perch" line. Bear in mind I am on the GUC Leicester arm. I will plumb up at topkit+2 straight in front of me. four inches overdepth. Then I add a section and find the same depth still with 4 inches over to either left or right depending on the tow of the canal. Right if the tow is left to right. Angled to the side it will not affect my bread lines ( I think/hope) that are fished straight in front.

This line is fed with a small ball of my home made "fishy" groundbait and a few pinkies. I leave it to settle for a few minutes then fish pinkie over the top. I find I mainly pick up perch on this line with the very occasional roach. It is a line I can switch to by keeping it topped up if the bread lines slow down. A quick run of perch can bump your weight up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sounds to me like you are simply in the wrong area Dek. Roach often shoal tight in the cooler months. Try in a more built up area of your canal where the temperature doesn’t fluctuate as much. Your rig doesn’t sound all bad. Personally I’d drop to a 22 or a 20 myself. Good luck. ?

adriang

Site Supporter
Couple of thoughts.. did you just fish one line in the canal? if possible, I would try several lines (especially as you mentioned the bank can be busy). Plumb up for features, as they will be holding places to fish against, but something like 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and far bank could be fishable lines, or perhaps even slightly to the left, slightly to the right.

Various schools of thought about mixing bread and maggots/squatts/pinkies, but personally I have no rules personally, but might try 'predominately' bread on one line, squats (maggots, whatever) on another line, but always chop and change hookbaits.

Chopped worm always worth a try, and can help with being an attractant to get fish into a swim and/or stimulate feeding them.

I used to mix up a touch of the sensas roach additive (the dry one) into my liquidized bread which I think helps drawing them. I tried to find some last year, and found one at the back of the shelf in my local tackle shop, so not sure if it's still available.

Rig setups, always ring the changes in regards to shotting, a bulk, strung out, a combination all have their places. I prefer a few shot that I can move around to a bulk, so gives more flexibility that just an olivette, but this does depend a little on the depth.. I think this time of year, I would be targeting fish below 2/3s depth, so I'd start with a bulk there, and then droppers below that.

Dek

Couple of thoughts.. did you just fish one line in the canal? if possible, I would try several lines (especially as you mentioned the bank can be busy). Plumb up for features, as they will be holding places to fish against, but something like 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and far bank could be fishable lines, or perhaps even slightly to the left, slightly to the right.

Various schools of thought about mixing bread and maggots/squatts/pinkies, but personally I have no rules personally, but might try 'predominately' bread on one line, squats (maggots, whatever) on another line, but always chop and change hookbaits.

Chopped worm always worth a try, and can help with being an attractant to get fish into a swim and/or stimulate feeding them.

I used to mix up a touch of the sensas roach additive (the dry one) into my liquidized bread which I think helps drawing them. I tried to find some last year, and found one at the back of the shelf in my local tackle shop, so not sure if it's still available.

Rig setups, always ring the changes in regards to shotting, a bulk, strung out, a combination all have their places. I prefer a few shot that I can move around to a bulk, so gives more flexibility that just an olivette, but this does depend a little on the depth.. I think this time of year, I would be targeting fish below 2/3s depth, so I'd start with a bulk there, and then droppers below that.
Thanks Adriang
First time out i did try adding a little Roach black groundbait(strong aniseed aroma) it turned the liccy a dull grey colour and i started to wonder if i was defeating the object and should have just put in neat, suppose when you have a bad day you begin to overthink/question everything you do. Was a respected angler who i used to know and years ago he used to say "the fish only feed twice a day on Rochdale Canal, just before you get there and just after you leave, ha ha. Thanks for the tips though can only try and see.

Dek

Sounds to me like you are simply in the wrong area Dek. Roach often shoal tight in the cooler months. Try in a more built up area of your canal where the temperature doesn’t fluctuate as much. Your rig doesn’t sound all bad. Personally I’d drop to a 22 or a 20 myself. Good luck. ?
Think you may be right Mick, Got an area in mind where more built up and may give it a go, how does all the leaf fall on the bed in the more rural areas affect the presentation/ feed, often wondered

Dek

Alongside fishing the punch I also fish a "perch" line. Bear in mind I am on the GUC Leicester arm. I will plumb up at topkit+2 straight in front of me. four inches overdepth. Then I add a section and find the same depth still with 4 inches over to either left or right depending on the tow of the canal. Right if the tow is left to right. Angled to the side it will not affect my bread lines ( I think/hope) that are fished straight in front.

This line is fed with a small ball of my home made "fishy" groundbait and a few pinkies. I leave it to settle for a few minutes then fish pinkie over the top. I find I mainly pick up perch on this line with the very occasional roach. It is a line I can switch to by keeping it topped up if the bread lines slow down. A quick run of perch can bump your weight up.
Cheers Neil, good info mate?

Dek

Faced with your venue I would have a session with a few lines to see if anything responds.
Punch line down the track, a bit of dark groundbait and pinkie line plus a chopped worm and caster line all separate and spaced apart.
If nothing responds to any of these then there cant be much swimming around.
Cheers Ian
Even if not acgood head of fish all this info is really helpful and can only improve my fishing going forward

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Think you may be right Mick, Got an area in mind where more built up and may give it a go, how does all the leaf fall on the bed in the more rural areas affect the presentation/ feed, often wondered
We tend to fish punch dead depth or an inch off Dek. Unlike your canal our Aire & Calder canal is between 7’ and 10’ deep. We either bait dropper our feed in or mix our liquidise bread with marine gravel / oyster shell grit. Personally I prefer using a bait dropper as our canal often runs off hard. Your canal at 4’ and especially if it doesn’t move so much I’d be tempted to cup my liquidised bread in in small balls plus a tiny bit of gravel. Try opening two lines up and experiment. Once the roach turn up in numbers you’re in for a cracking days sport Dek. Nothing as enjoyable as a decent net of silver bars. ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
it doesn't sound like you're doing it massively wrong, so more likely the fish are either not there or not feeding.

Lot of good advice above .... I’d agree with the advice of lighter shouting and a smaller hook (22 to 0.06 is a starting point on canals)
with low boat traffic the track or very bottom of the far shelf are good areas to target.
but also ... with very few boats that kind of stretch can really switch off in winter. I used to fish a stretch in Birmingham that produced double figures in the summer ... but rows of blanks in the winter.

a few nuggets from my experience on narrow canals (mainly Grand Union)
1. 4mm is the most consistent punch size for roach, 5 or 6mm for skimmers, but sometimes you have to drop to a 3 or even 2mm punch to get proper bites (not just tiny fish either).
2. punch is not always instant ... especially if fish are moving around. I've sometimes caught on punch after 90 minutes to two hours.
3. if it's shallow and there is no tow or drift, it can sometimes work to cup in the feed loose so it forms a cloud from the surface down
4. a fluoro pinkie on the hook can sometimes work over bread feed
5. there are some days when you can only catch on bread and some where you can only catch on squatt/pinkie. I like to feed both, at different places in the swim - to hedge my bets.
6. the Tommy Boyce style "give them 3 loaves" does not work for everyone. I'm inbetween - in that I'll feed two hen's egg size to start and then top up with similar every 30-40 mins

Dek

We tend to fish punch dead depth or an inch off Dek. Unlike your canal our Aire & Calder canal is between 7’ and 10’ deep. We either bait dropper our feed in or mix our liquidise bread with marine gravel / oyster shell grit. Personally I prefer using a bait dropper as our canal often runs off hard. Your canal at 4’ and especially if it doesn’t move so much I’d be tempted to cup my liquidised bread in in small balls plus a tiny bit of gravel. Try opening two lines up and experiment. Once the roach turn up in numbers you’re in for a cracking days sport Dek. Nothing as enjoyable as a decent net of silver bars. ?
Here's hoping Mick?

adriang

Site Supporter
Thanks Adriang
First time out i did try adding a little Roach black groundbait(strong aniseed aroma) it turned the liccy a dull grey colour and i started to wonder if i was defeating the object and should have just put in neat, suppose when you have a bad day you begin to overthink/question everything you do. Was a respected angler who i used to know and years ago he used to say "the fish only feed twice a day on Rochdale Canal, just before you get there and just after you leave, ha ha. Thanks for the tips though can only try and see.
Overthinking vs experimenting is always a balance.. During the summer, I started using darker groundbaits on the Glos canal, the thinking being that it didn't stand out like the proverbial dogs.... In regards to punch fishing, the additive I used was a creamy white colour, so my mix was still very obvious when falling through the water (smaller canals that the Glos, and also rivers)..

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Do you catch on squatt or pinkie? I never had as much success with punch on canals as I'd like purely because where I used to fish there weren't that many Roach about and so Gudgeon and Perch were the target. Shame really as all the books say it should be instantaneous.
In Bingley you don't (squatt or pinkie) as it's hardly fished hence they become accustomed to families feeding bread. Caster still has its day, as does worm ??‍♂️

G20

Site Supporter
My mate Tommy Boyce can feed up to 3 loaves. Try fishing at 4m with 0.08 - 0.06 with a 22 B511. One olivette rig no droppers (move olivette around 2" - 12"). Another rig strung out. In a tub with your liccy add some water to the corner. Feed a thumb nail of liccy every put in. It doesn't need to be too accurate either. Dips are probably small fish hence going lighter.
But you must agree Tommy does/did that mostly on the Grand Union and not on the Rochdale...a different kettle of fish (excuse the pun)
Will agree that going lighter may improve results

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In Bingley you don't (squatt or pinkie) as it's hardly fished hence they become accustomed to families feeding bread. Caster still has its day, as does worm ??‍♂️

Different canals need different approaches I guess. Caster and worm were always for 'bonus' fish back when I fished them with pinkie over squatt being the mainstay. The reason I mention trying different baits is it might help to work out if doing something wrong with the punch or if there's no fish there.

Total

Site Supporter
We tend to fish punch dead depth or an inch off Dek......

^^:giggle: I did smile when you managed to work the above into your reply!;):ROFLMAO:

@Dek....All good suggestions above and worth trying providing you are on numbers of fish in the first place.....On the odd occasion when the fishing is really difficult I've reverted to fishing as in the video below...Be lucky...(y)

Dek

it doesn't sound like you're doing it massively wrong, so more likely the fish are either not there or not feeding.

Lot of good advice above .... I’d agree with the advice of lighter shouting and a smaller hook (22 to 0.06 is a starting point on canals)
with low boat traffic the track or very bottom of the far shelf are good areas to target.
but also ... with very few boats that kind of stretch can really switch off in winter. I used to fish a stretch in Birmingham that produced double figures in the summer ... but rows of blanks in the winter.

a few nuggets from my experience on narrow canals (mainly Grand Union)
1. 4mm is the most consistent punch size for roach, 5 or 6mm for skimmers, but sometimes you have to drop to a 3 or even 2mm punch to get proper bites (not just tiny fish either).
2. punch is not always instant ... especially if fish are moving around. I've sometimes caught on punch after 90 minutes to two hours.
3. if it's shallow and there is no tow or drift, it can sometimes work to cup in the feed loose so it forms a cloud from the surface down
4. a fluoro pinkie on the hook can sometimes work over bread feed
5. there are some days when you can only catch on bread and some where you can only catch on squatt/pinkie. I like to feed both, at different places in the swim - to hedge my bets.
6. the Tommy Boyce style "give them 3 loaves" does not work for everyone. I'm inbetween - in that I'll feed two hen's egg size to start and then top up with similar every 30-40 mins
Thanks for that mate, certainly not one of the easiest canals to fish, nowt like a challenge though eh?

Dek

^^:giggle: I did smile when you managed to work the above into your reply!;):ROFLMAO:

@Dek....All good suggestions above and worth trying providing you are on numbers of fish in the first place.....On the odd occasion when the fishing is really difficult I've reverted to fishing as in the video below...Be lucky...(y)

Cheers Total, will check it out

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

My angling has always outperformed my grammar Mark. Example ..... School or fishing ? Witch ya fink eye choooooosed ? ??