Bread punch fishing

Dek

Been fishing for around 40+ years now so i know quite a bit about most methods and generally do ok. Thought i would try my hand at bread punch fishing for first time and after watching several videos of the method on youtube i thought yeah seems straight forward enough, however had two fishless attempts now so either i am doing something wrong or there just aint enough roach in the canal where i am fishing. I fish the Rochdale Canal at chadderton/Middleton, average depth 4ft and very clear at the moment. Used a 0.5 gr float with olivette and droppers just touching and also just off btm, 4 and 5mm punch over a walnut size licci bread, main line 0.10 to 0.08 hook size 18. anyway had to little dips all day, any tips would be most helpful, do i need to scale down further? Notvtgectypecto give up and will continue to try and improve.

Dek

Been fishing for around 40+ years now so i know quite a bit about most methods and generally do ok. Thought i would try my hand at bread punch fishing for first time and after watching several videos of the method on youtube i thought yeah seems straight forward enough, however had two fishless attempts now so either i am doing something wrong or there just aint enough roach in the canal where i am fishing. I fish the Rochdale Canal at chadderton/Middleton, average depth 4ft and very clear at the moment. Used a 0.5 gr float with olivette and droppers just touching and also just off btm, 4 and 5mm punch over a walnut size licci bread, main line 0.10 to 0.08 hook size 18. anyway had to little dips all day, any tips would be most helpful, do i need to scale down further? Notvtgectypecto give up and will continue to try and improve.
Apologies (Notvtgectypecto) supposed to read not the type to?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Your set up sounds fine to me, but you can't catch what isn't in your peg. Do some research and find where roach are shoaling up would be my first bit of advice. In my local canal the areas around marinas or moored boats certainly hold fish better than open areas this time of year. I always start fishing the track at an inch off bottom and the method is usually pretty instant as the cloud will pull fish in if they are about. If you ain't had a bite in 15 minutes it's highly unlikely it will work. I would then explore other lines and abandon bread altogether if no indications after maximum half hour.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Normal approach would be a 22s B511 hook with 3mm or 4mm maximum size punch on a 4x10 or4x12 float strung out shot

Dek

Thanks Ian. I am limited to where i can fish as i do not drive, stretches i tend to fish are within walking distance for me, one particular stretch i fish is a short stretch between two locks and years ago you could (in warmer months) catch some decent weights.. bream/ Tench/Roach and Roach/Rudd hybreds. I used to catch some cracking Roach on hemp. Sadly certain areas have had issues with leaking and this area was drained few seasons ago and i do wonder what is in there, only a couple of mths ago though when it was warmer i was getting 50/60 Roach and Perch in a session, what is strange is that on each occasion not one Bream, not even a skimmer, anyway this is one of the areas i tried the punch with no joy, have noticed there is a few pike lurking and do not suppose that helps, even in summer it can suddenly go dead and i suspect the pike have moved on the shoal. I am aware that the guys on youtube are top anglers and are probably fishing canals that are stuffed with fish too but to catch none is a little dis heartening to say the least

Arch

Site Supporter
Strung out shot for me as well, in the last half of the rig.

Microwave the bread for 10 seconds and the roll it with a rolling pin to compress it. Punch that and it should stay on the hook better.

Dek

Normal approach would be a 22s B511 hook with 3mm or 4mm maximum size punch on a 4x10 or4x12 float strung out shot
Hi Ken, yeah gonna try and scale down and change to strung out, guessing olivettes are mainly used for deeper water?

Dek

Strung out shot for me as well, in the last half of the rig.

Microwave the bread for 10 seconds and the roll it with a rolling pin to compress it. Punch that and it should stay on the hook better.
Cheers Arch, will give it a go, another issue is that i struggle to fish right across as my pole not fit for job and heavy, need to invest in a decent pole when i have the dosh, tend to fish 4 to 6 metres and maybe 2 3rds across at best, so much foot traffic, bikers runners etc and i do wonder if the fish have shyed to far shelf.

Arch

Site Supporter
Maybe, but down the middle is always good if boat traffic isn't too bad. You may need to mix some aquarian stones into your feed to get it to sink quicker.

Dek

yeah i used the b511s but do need to get some smaller. Liquidised some cheaper bread riddle it through pinkie riddle then freezed and liquidised again, really fine stuff, used warbies as advised for hook, microwaved an rolled lightly, i do wonder why some anglers take so much liquidised though when they say put a walnut sized and do not feed unless you have to. Maybe it is just a poor venue, however if the same anglers on you tube came and sat next to me and bagged up then i would worry?

Dek

Maybe, but down the middle is always good if boat traffic isn't too bad. You may need to mix some aquarian stones into your feed to get it to sink quicker.
Yeah, just bought some gravel but guy at local tackle shop said only mainly used on deeper waters, would not do any harm though, boat traffic is few and far between even in summer

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The depths you are fishing generally under 5 foot dont need any special approach for feed or hookbait but try and put your hookbait in to mimic the liccy you have fed by holding back the float as it settles then letting it follow the flow if any as naturally as you can.
The "bagging" approach you have watched does not apply to hard North Western canals.

Dek

The depths you are fishing generally under 5 foot dont need any special approach for feed or hookbait but try and put your hookbait in to mimic the liccy you have fed by holding back the float as it settles then letting it follow the flow if any as naturally as you can.
The "bagging" approach you have watched does not apply to hard North Western canals.
Cheers Ken, wiil do. Did suspect that the canal is probably harder than the norm, fish a lot of commercials in the summer but get just as much satisfaction from catching a few Roach and Perch from canal in winter so will stick with it and if it does not happen then will try the squatt/pinkie and worm for perch although it appears a few tackle shops are struggling with the squatt local to me.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
It could be the pike have herded the roach to one end. They have done this on the River Freshney in Grimsby at present. Great if you are on them. Mate had 90 roach this afternoon but all fish are in a 10m stretch

Dek

yeah, thats the issue with canals sometimes, on really long stretches you never quite know where the fish are. Obviously features and water depths can come in to play. Used to be matches on the canal but not for a long time now and even pleasure anglers a rare, apart from die hards like me, used to rake and pre bait years ago in the summer months to encourage fish to feed.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
yeah i used the b511s but do need to get some smaller. Liquidised some cheaper bread riddle it through pinkie riddle then freezed and liquidised again, really fine stuff, used warbies as advised for hook, microwaved an rolled lightly, i do wonder why some anglers take so much liquidised though when they say put a walnut sized and do not feed unless you have to. Maybe it is just a poor venue, however if the same anglers on you tube came and sat next to me and bagged up then i would worry?
My mate Tommy Boyce can feed up to 3 loaves. Try fishing at 4m with 0.08 - 0.06 with a 22 B511. One olivette rig no droppers (move olivette around 2" - 12"). Another rig strung out. In a tub with your liccy add some water to the corner. Feed a thumb nail of liccy every put in. It doesn't need to be too accurate either. Dips are probably small fish hence going lighter.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My mate Tommy Boyce can feed up to 3 loaves. Try fishing at 4m with 0.08 - 0.06 with a 22 B511. One olivette rig no droppers (move olivette around 2" - 12"). Another rig strung out. In a tub with your liccy add some water to the corner. Feed a thumb nail of liccy every put in. It doesn't need to be too accurate either. Dips are probably small fish hence going lighter.

I have a PDF of an article Tommy did in the January 2011 edition of Pole Fishing magazine. If anyone wants a copy then PM me an email address.

It is Tommy I reference in my blog on the subject. My way with punch has been influenced by what Tommy has told me.

Zerkalo

Do you catch on squatt or pinkie? I never had as much success with punch on canals as I'd like purely because where I used to fish there weren't that many Roach about and so Gudgeon and Perch were the target. Shame really as all the books say it should be instantaneous.