Bread press

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
A few days ago I was looking on ebay at used fishing tackle and come upon a Lesney bread press.
I have never come across one before and have quesions to ask on here.
1. apart from the obvious answer whats it for?
2. when would you use it?
3. why would you use it?

Would it be worth me making one do you think, it looks a nice simple piece to make. I get great pleasure out of making as much as I can having a centre lathe etc and am a retired mech eng so no problem.
If I make a piece of fishing tackle I get twice the pleasure, the pleasure of using it and hopefully catching on it. :)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
if you want to make something then go for it, personally i have my thumb to compress bread

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Purely a guess but it could be for making damp crust.

The old method was to cut the crust off a loaf leaving just a small layer of white on and wrap it in a damp tea towel. With a board on top to spread the weight you then pile a few bricks on and leave overnight.

The crust will absorb water and compress so that when hooked it will sink. The crust would be cut into squares for the hook.

I assume the press replaced the bricks.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Purely a guess but it could be for making damp crust.

The old method was to cut the crust off a loaf leaving just a small layer of white on and wrap it in a damp tea towel. With a board on top to spread the weight you then pile a few bricks on and leave overnight.

The crust will absorb water and compress so that when hooked it will sink. The crust would be cut into squares for the hook.

I assume the press replaced the bricks.
Wet Bread!

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
A few days ago I was looking on ebay at used fishing tackle and come upon a Lesney bread press.
I have never come across one before and have quesions to ask on here.
1. apart from the obvious answer whats it for?
2. when would you use it?
3. why would you use it?

Would it be worth me making one do you think, it looks a nice simple piece to make. I get great pleasure out of making as much as I can having a centre lathe etc and am a retired mech eng so no problem.
If I make a piece of fishing tackle I get twice the pleasure, the pleasure of using it and hopefully catching on it. :)
If you're board why not make some lidded bread boards like the old Brilo ones 🤗