Bread on the top .

BarryS

Gone fishing
How do you hook your bead on ? What bread do you use..........and what size hook. Freeline or controller float ? Looking forward to the answers.

Total

Site Supporter
can of worms.jpg

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Traditional unsliced loaf, cut a section out to the size you want, hooked twice through the crust so the hook point is in the white part, as big a hook as necessary to suit the size of the bait, no problem with a size two if needed, free line unless the distance requires a controller, dunk the bait in the water prior to casting to add weight and use the lightest line you can, say 8lb subject to snags etc.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My local club has banned floating bread as a bait saying it is dangerous to the fish and waterfowl. I`m not convinced, why
haven`t we got piles of dead ducks?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Size 10 or 12, unsliced bread, undershotted straight waggler laid flat on the surface or a tiny straight dumpy waggler, 5-8lb mainline and 4-6lb hoooklength depending on the size of the fish.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That cheese bread and a size 10 or 12 Kamasan Animal, controller float.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I always freeline (it’s amazing the distance you can get with a dunked piece of bread), always sliced bread with a small piece of the white part squeezed hard onto the shank of a 10 or 12 animal hook.

Arcane

Generally I fish floating bread as a spare of the moment thing so I’ll take the drop shot off the waggler line and position the waggler about 18inches from the hook; usually a size 10…

I’ll then simply squeeze a piece around the line/hook leaving a good fan shaped piece of the bread behind the hook that stays buoyant. Seems to work fine and the waggler gives you a bit more chuck if you need it.

Had a few doing this…

booboo

Site Supporter
My local club has banned floating bread as a bait saying it is dangerous to the fish and waterfowl. I`m not convinced, why
haven`t we got piles of dead ducks?
As the fish get more clued up they tend to avoid floating bait in open water more, then anglers end up casting on/in pads etc which can lead to fish damage. Wildfowl tend to become floating bait enthusiasts too, and inattentive/irresponsible anglers end up catching more ducks than carp. Seen all of the above in a place I fish, and glad the club have banned floating bait. It's a thrilling way to catch but a few dicks can spoil it for everyone.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Bread left over is poor stuff for Ducks and other waterfowl. It has zero nutritional value and just fills them up.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Bread left over is poor stuff for Ducks and other waterfowl. It has zero nutritional value and just fills them up.
Its not that good for humans either!

With crust if you carefully take a piece along with a good tail of flake, hook through crust dead centre, give flake a gentle kneed then lower so only tail gets wet - when cast out it will sit with hook looking like a mast- keeping a few inches of line off the water.
Close in its possible to keep all line off the water.