Bread Mash - Can you Oven Bake?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been years since I've had that but it is nice. One problem I foresee with liquidised bread is that it will probably float so I'm going to have to wet it down, the mash sinks.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Been years since I've had that but it is nice. One problem I foresee with liquidised bread is that it will probably float so I'm going to have to wet it down, the mash sinks.
If you try and feed liquidised bread in any sort of fast flow it will take your fish out of the swim and way downstream.....mashed bread will also finish further downstream If the flow is too fast.

If it is for use in a weir you would be better using a cage feeder....also stick a lump of breadflake on a biggish hook rather than use a punch in flowing water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you try and feed liquidised bread in any sort of fast flow it will take your fish out of the swim and way downstream.....mashed bread will also finish further downstream If the flow is too fast.

If it is for use in a weir you would be better using a cage feeder....also stick a lump of breadflake on a biggish hook rather than use a punch in flowing water.

Maybe you will be right! I'm quite looking forward to trying this tomorrow though. Some things that I think will work in my favour although I agree with your points.

- I'm fishing in an eddy along the edge of a crease in slack water and I hope the mash and to a certain extent the liquidised will swirl round and settle where I'm fishing rather than end up downstream.
- I have just bought some new Punches size 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm so can go up to a size 12 hook if needed with the 12mm punch which hopefully will expand on the hook as usual and be a pretty big bait like Flake for the Roach and Chublets (with the hope of bonus Chub)
- I have seen good a good catch on here reported on the Severn with 6mm and 8mm punch that fills me with a bit of confidence it should work on the weir.
- I feel the small fish here are too ravenous for feeder fishing, you cast out, get a rattle on your tip almost on the drop and the bait has been shredded.

All good points though the above we will see tomorrow if it goes to plan! I have maggots and casters for back up so... (y)

William hurst

Site Supporter
I've just had delivery of 4 loaves of 39p a loaf sliced white bread for making some bread mash. I want it to dry out so I can mash it up, but of course before it goes mouldy.

What's the best way to dry it out? Last time I was in a hurry so spread the slices all round my kitchen and it still took a few days, something to do with the bread these days. I try to buy from the reduced section of bread near its use by date but that's not always an option. So I'm wondering, can you oven bake it on a low heat just to dry it out?

2020-08-26 10.49.20.jpg

Also when it comes to mashing, I have done it by hand before but I've heard it might be better to use a food processor?

Cheers
I put it in the grinder then put in a pillow case and put on the radiator to dry

William hurst

Site Supporter
Yeah with the food processor I always thought that was for 'liquidised bread' which was what we used on canals. Mash I agree is more of a slop.

Do you have to have it dry to make the slop/mash? That's what I thought...

William hurst

Site Supporter
I've just had delivery of 4 loaves of 39p a loaf sliced white bread for making some bread mash. I want it to dry out so I can mash it up, but of course before it goes mouldy.

What's the best way to dry it out? Last time I was in a hurry so spread the slices all round my kitchen and it still took a few days, something to do with the bread these days. I try to buy from the reduced section of bread near its use by date but that's not always an option. So I'm wondering, can you oven bake it on a low heat just to dry it out?

2020-08-26 10.49.20.jpg

Also when it comes to mashing, I have done it by hand before but I've heard it might be better to use a food processor?

Cheersput in the grinder then in a pillow case and dry it on the radiator

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
In the oven that's how they make brown crumb. But don't put the oven on especially. After you or your partner has finished using the oven on an evening simply turn off and place the slices of bread in. Overnight they'll dry out. Then blitz in a food processor.

Liquidised. Buy a loaf on a Monday to liquidise on a Saturday. Me, crusts on for Bream off for Roach.

Mashed. Take the loaf with you in a bucket. Add river water. Leave for 30 minutes. Drain. Feed little and often.

Secret ssshhh. When fishing a float on a river down the nearside rip the loaf up into your keepnet. The net will 'feed' your swim throughout the session ?

Tight Lines Jonathan
The Ginger Bread Man ?
JonJoe - Yorkshire Wooden Spoon ?

William hurst

Site Supporter
Hi I put my bread in the grinder then in a pillowcase and then put on the radiator to dry .when I go fishing I just wet it .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Came up with a stodgy mix the other day by mixing both liquidised and mash. Oven baked the bread to dry it out for mash but it was still too wet, did not drain enough water out so mixed it 50/50 with liquidised bread. Not ideal but worked.

William hurst

Site Supporter
In the oven that's how they make brown crumb. But don't put the oven on especially. After you or your partner has finished using the oven on an evening simply turn off and place the slices of bread in. Overnight they'll dry out. Then blitz in a food processor.

Liquidised. Buy a loaf on a Monday to liquidise on a Saturday. Me, crusts on for Bream off for Roach.

Mashed. Take the loaf with you in a bucket. Add river water. Leave for 30 minutes. Drain. Feed little and often.

Secret ssshhh. When fishing a float on a river down the nearside rip the loaf up into your keepnet. The net will 'feed' your swim throughout the session ?

Tight Lines Jonathan
The Ginger Bread Man ?
JonJoe - Yorkshire Wooden Spoon ?
Hi I been reading you canal article it was very good can we have some more I real pick me up in the stay at home times

kenj

kenj

Back in the Day, when only 8+ inch roach were weighed in on Thames matches, my "secret" bait was stale bread from the bakers (it used to go stale in a day) torn into pieces, mixed with a handful of corn flakes (don't tell mum), then a handful of boiled hemp. This was put in a Hacks Throat Sweet tin and taken fishing. On the bank I added water from the river and mashed the lot with a short bit of broom handle. This was taken from the tin when needed, squeezed out into balls and dropped in as groundbait upstream of my swim. Float was a porcupine quill to a shop bought size 12 hook and bait was pressed cubes of crust. The float was fished over depth and held back, waiting for a bite, which was usually a few bobs, the line was released to allow the float to run, when it usually disappeared, if not held back again until it went under. I won a lot of club matches and cups, before preferring motor bikes and girls. Forward several years and I was persuaded to fish an open match and used the exact method and tackle to win the match with a couple of big gudgeon and some quality roach, again it was size limits and the maggot men had most of their fish chucked back. I now fish the punch everywhere, but I bet it still works today. Now where is that old sweet tin?

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Back in the Day, when only 8+ inch roach were weighed in on Thames matches, my "secret" bait was stale bread from the bakers (it used to go stale in a day) torn into pieces, mixed with a handful of corn flakes (don't tell mum), then a handful of boiled hemp. This was put in a Hacks Throat Sweet tin and taken fishing. On the bank I added water from the river and mashed the lot with a short bit of broom handle. This was taken from the tin when needed, squeezed out into balls and dropped in as groundbait upstream of my swim. Float was a porcupine quill to a shop bought size 12 hook and bait was pressed cubes of crust. The float was fished over depth and held back, waiting for a bite, which was usually a few bobs, the line was released to allow the float to run, when it usually disappeared, if not held back again until it went under. I won a lot of club matches and cups, before preferring motor bikes and girls. Forward several years and I was persuaded to fish an open match and used the exact method and tackle to win the match with a couple of big gudgeon and some quality roach, again it was size limits and the maggot men had most of their fish chucked back. I now fish the punch everywhere, but I bet it still works today. Now where is that old sweet tin?
I'll email you over Christmas with a winter blog. Better still I'll come down in the new year on the train for the day ? I can fit my 11' cadence #1 float rod and whips in my case ?