Bread Mash - Can you Oven Bake?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been years since I've had that but it is nice. One problem I foresee with liquidised bread is that it will probably float so I'm going to have to wet it down, the mash sinks.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Been years since I've had that but it is nice. One problem I foresee with liquidised bread is that it will probably float so I'm going to have to wet it down, the mash sinks.
If you try and feed liquidised bread in any sort of fast flow it will take your fish out of the swim and way downstream.....mashed bread will also finish further downstream If the flow is too fast.

If it is for use in a weir you would be better using a cage feeder....also stick a lump of breadflake on a biggish hook rather than use a punch in flowing water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you try and feed liquidised bread in any sort of fast flow it will take your fish out of the swim and way downstream.....mashed bread will also finish further downstream If the flow is too fast.

If it is for use in a weir you would be better using a cage feeder....also stick a lump of breadflake on a biggish hook rather than use a punch in flowing water.

Maybe you will be right! I'm quite looking forward to trying this tomorrow though. Some things that I think will work in my favour although I agree with your points.

- I'm fishing in an eddy along the edge of a crease in slack water and I hope the mash and to a certain extent the liquidised will swirl round and settle where I'm fishing rather than end up downstream.
- I have just bought some new Punches size 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm so can go up to a size 12 hook if needed with the 12mm punch which hopefully will expand on the hook as usual and be a pretty big bait like Flake for the Roach and Chublets (with the hope of bonus Chub)
- I have seen good a good catch on here reported on the Severn with 6mm and 8mm punch that fills me with a bit of confidence it should work on the weir.
- I feel the small fish here are too ravenous for feeder fishing, you cast out, get a rattle on your tip almost on the drop and the bait has been shredded.

All good points though the above we will see tomorrow if it goes to plan! I have maggots and casters for back up so... (y)