Bread Mash - Can you Oven Bake?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've just had delivery of 4 loaves of 39p a loaf sliced white bread for making some bread mash. I want it to dry out so I can mash it up, but of course before it goes mouldy.

What's the best way to dry it out? Last time I was in a hurry so spread the slices all round my kitchen and it still took a few days, something to do with the bread these days. I try to buy from the reduced section of bread near its use by date but that's not always an option. So I'm wondering, can you oven bake it on a low heat just to dry it out?

2020-08-26 10.49.20.jpg

Also when it comes to mashing, I have done it by hand before but I've heard it might be better to use a food processor?

Cheers

buygoodtackle

Take a look at this - if you want to have it not so fine leave the crusts on and don't sieve! You can freeze any you don't use.

squimp

Site Supporter
When I was a kid I put waste/cheap bread in the oven to dry it out and then made ground bait. But that was ‘real‘ bread - the modern supermarket stuff almost certainly has preservative in it.

your ‘bread’ will obviously dry in an oven - it just depends what you are trying to achieve. If it’s too dry it won’t make ‘mash’. My concept of ‘mash’ is a slop of different sized bits - so some sink to the bottom and the fine stuff drifts off downstream......

the same applies to the food processor - I use one to make liquidised bread. If you put the bread in for just a few seconds then you might get halfway to ‘mash’.

I’d be inclined to leave the bread for few days and then freeze it as it is. Then just take out what you need on the day and make it by hand.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I was a kid I put waste/cheap bread in the oven to dry it out and then made ground bait. But that was ‘real‘ bread - the modern supermarket stuff almost certainly has preservative in it.

your ‘bread’ will obviously dry in an oven - it just depends what you are trying to achieve. If it’s too dry it won’t make ‘mash’. My concept of ‘mash’ is a slop of different sized bits - so some sink to the bottom and the fine stuff drifts off downstream......

the same applies to the food processor - I use one to make liquidised bread. If you put the bread in for just a few seconds then you might get halfway to ‘mash’.

I’d be inclined to leave the bread for few days and then freeze it as it is. Then just take out what you need on the day and make it by hand.
Yeah with the food processor I always thought that was for 'liquidised bread' which was what we used on canals. Mash I agree is more of a slop.

Do you have to have it dry to make the slop/mash? That's what I thought...

Total

Site Supporter
Is liquidised bread suitable for a river or am I better off with mash, where you mix it with water and then mash up to make a slop?
You can wet down plain liquidised bread, but very, very carefully, often with an atomiser and do it in stages.....Rush it and you'll wind up with a bucket of concrete.....(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is how I've done Bread Mash before, as @squimp says, more of a slop with some bigger lumps in there.

buygoodtackle

I quite often use liquidised via a feeder. If the water is fast then a mash is better if float fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah that makes sense, thank you! This is for float fishing, stick float fishing to precise, as I've found with Bread Mash you can't throw it very far. I think what I'm going to do is try one loaf in the oven to try to dry it out and see how it goes, that way I still have 3 loaves leftover if it doesn't work.

squimp

Site Supporter
I catch most of my big river roach on big lumps of flake with liquidised bread thru a feeder, In flood conditions. In clear water conditions I catch roach on Float fished punched bread and liquidised feed - but they are much smaller fish.

‘mash‘ is more of a roving chub tactic. Read the old TonyMiles/Trevor West chub stuff - that was their standard approach.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Depends on where you trotting but I use a bait dropper with slop or liquidised, that way it gets to the bottom and on the line you want.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well one loaf came out of the oven and it's worked, bread is now dry and ready to soak and then mash but it took about 2 hours on the lowest heat setting so as not to toast it.

2020-08-29 15.50.33.jpg

So I decided to liquidise the other two loaves so I half two loaves of mash and two of liquidised and can see which works better.

2020-08-29 15.50.45.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah doing up some liquidised takes me back to canal fishing, we still have the same blender from 20 years ago. :ROFLMAO: Only time to dry out a couple of loaves for the mash though as oven needs to be used for dinner ha.