Bread Flake / Middle Severn

Northantslad

'Any indications?
and him and Mick pulling out a ton of Barbel rob, never been envious of that, not at all and in the post boom days too. Sorry Zerk, am on them again. As you were...

Zerkalo

I watched a couple of good Matt Hayes video courtesy of a kind poster on here yesterday. He was right in my neck of the woods, on the middle Severn at recognisable places including pegs I've fished myself and on the Worcs Stour at an unidentified location. Has really wet my appetite for the coming season, but it seems so far away at the moment, it will come round in no time.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Bread is pretty much an instant bait. Also get into the habit of striking it off at the end of a run.
So true, every match on the middle Bristol Avon (20/30 years ago) you started on a liccy bread feeder with a large lump of flake for a chub, it only worked in the first 15 minutes

Zerkalo

I'm going tomorrow. I couldn't wait. I've decided it's within lockdown restrictions as I'll only be going somewhere 15 minutes away. (y) I don't expect to catch much but if I do I think it will be down to swim selection, so I'm prepared to move if I don't catch as I can't see it being busy at the moment, and forecast drizzle for tomorrow morning. The river is low as well, so not sure whether to start on the usual peg or go for a deeper one.

I've just bought 4 cheap loaves of bread and one Warburtons for the hook though only needed to liquidise 3 as mixed with groundbait I've got tons of bait. Lots of nice big bits in there probably down to the age of my blender but the groundbait is Dynamite Caster and together with the bread it smells spot on. Will add a bit of water and some more groundbait to it tomorrow morning.

2021-03-02 15.58.27.jpg

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I'm going tomorrow. I couldn't wait. I've decided it's within lockdown restrictions as I'll only be going somewhere 15 minutes away. (y) I don't expect to catch much but if I do I think it will be down to swim selection, so I'm prepared to move if I don't catch as I can't see it being busy at the moment, and forecast drizzle for tomorrow morning. The river is low as well, so not sure whether to start on the usual peg or go for a deeper one.

I've just bought 4 cheap loaves of bread and one Warburtons for the hook though only needed to liquidise 3 as mixed with groundbait I've got tons of bait. Lots of nice big bits in there probably down to the age of my blender but the groundbait is Dynamite Caster and together with the bread it smells spot on. Will add a bit of water and some more groundbait to it tomorrow morning.

2021-03-02 15.58.27.jpg
Where you going?

Zerkalo

That's a deep peg isn't it mate? I'm definitely going to be in that second meadow. You can see the shallow riffles just above that peg. My usual one is the one with the steps, second one you come to in that meadow, but I have a feeling I'll be better off walking just that bit further to the deeper pegs as the river forecast looks low.

Zerkalo

Actually might be looking at it wrong and that's the third meadow in your pic?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Second meadow, it's about 4ft I think with 1 metre on,don't quote me though, it's perfect for running a stick through in between 2 lots of trees.

Zerkalo

I think I remember when I first posted that video you called me a peg thief so makes sense lol. I will probably aim for that peg tomorrow. (y)

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I had a couple of Chub, 5lb a piece and a few bits on caster last time I float fished it, not a bad barbel peg either.

Zerkalo

I had Bleak and Perch if I remember right haha. Will see how I get on tomorrow. Going to be taking pellets and a Barbel rod but hopefully if the Bread works I won't need it. Can't really see it fishing that well tomorrow at all though so not really got my hopes up.

Zerkalo

"Low and clear" I said. Goes to show just how far wrong I can be sometimes. I read it as the level was 1m but it was up 1m. Damn statistics! :LOL:

I got to the river early this morning and driving over the bridge in Bewdley looking at the river was my first inkling that something wasn't right. Then I got to Arley and saw my usual peg with the steps underwater. I walked along to the next peg, the one in the pic and video above, and that one was a mudslide. So I had to go for the next peg, the wide open one with a gap where a pipe used to flow to the right side. Usually it's elevated above the water a bit but the river being high meant it was within easy reach.

I started on bread flake under a 4 SSG Loafer float. Did not expect to catch much so when the float buried after 45 minutes I was very pleased with a 3lb Chub. That proved to be the only fish of the day though, as I fished the float for about 3.5 hours and then chucked out a Barbel rod. The peg was at least 8 foot deep, bit of a hole on inside I think. I don't usually rate it as a Barbel peg in summer but thought there might be some fish there this time. The Chub on the float was a nice confidence booster though and I can see this tactic working well on its day.

2021-03-03 16.29.27.jpg