Bread Fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
What do you reckon the buzz is about fishing with bread?
Im never happier than when Im using it. Is it because it costs literally pennies?
Is there a bit of smug self satisfaction that you have had a shedfull on 4 slices of bread and a bit of liquidised and its cost nowt?
Possibly in part for my case.
On a lot of canals it tends to be a bait for bits but on the Monmouth and Brecon it definitely sorts out the better fish.
I just like everything about it. The liquidised is sort of fluffy and clean to handle as opposed to wet and gooey. You dont handle the hook bait itself very much if you (as I do )use punches and flake punches.
I had a good 8lb of roach,skimmers and hybrids on it yesterday on the Monmouth and Brecon canal in 3 hours on a little canal waggler. I even had a ruddy great terrapin as well. Ugly sod reminded me of my mate who I fished with on Saturday [:D][:D] (I can get away with it today cos the buggers in Hungary and wont read this [:D]).
I cussed inwardly when visitors turned up and I had to stop fishing because I was enjoying myself so much and wanted to fish on into the evening.
Daft as it may seem I wouldnt have been that bothered had I been catching the same on caster or maggot.
My local club water Morgans has some superb crucians and when you get amongst them theres nothing better than getting a small Drennan flake punch on the go onto a 16s and getting my little bread float dotted down and bagging up on the white stuff.
I know Im not on my own with this bread fetish because Ive spoken to anglers many times on the bank and they have confessed to the same pleasure in using the bait.
If your catching on it and another angler passes by then invariably they will mention it and a conversation will strike up. Similarly if your the passer by and you see someone having a bread session then when you go home I bet you look at the breadbin and start itching to sort it out and get on the bank.
What is it about a bit of Mothers Pride ???

gibby

Its both economy and effectiveness mate. Rivers or stillwaters, club lakes or commercials, its rarely let me down. Its particularly good on park lakes (where lots of bread is chucked on for the ducks and the fish have become to regard it as a natural food.

I use a bog standard, own-brand supermarket sliced white, mash a few slices as groundbait ans fish flake on the hook. May use a punch if hook size is 16 or smaller, but usually pinch it straight onto the hook. Bait and
ground bait at about 40 pence - you can't go wrong.

I'm just waiting for the tackle trade to start selling its own bread (at a premium price) 'specially baked for commercial fisheries'

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I've been fishing it in the local parks last couple of weeks. Never fished liquidised bread and punch before. Absolutely love it. The roach go barmy for it, only small fish and delicate fishing but i'm pullin 'em out.

Use hardly any bread and when I get home I pop it in the freezer and use it again.

Cant have been more than half a medium sliced for half a dozen visits and theres still leftovers !

Small fish they may be but its skillfull. Just as skillfull as the 46lb of commercial carpies I had yesterday, if not more so.

Cracking bait bread. I'm a convert, its taken a while to kick my 'maggot habit'. Have decided this year to use cheap baits and all that stockpile ive got in the garage before I buy anymore.

spankysufc

S*U*F*C
would fishing liquidised bread still be effective fishing deep canal loch stretches up to about 8ft. as i have only really fished this method upto about 5ft!!![?]

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Yeah course it is Spanky as long as you take flow and tow into consideration. Ive used it on the Gloucester canal which is deeper than that and had good skimmers going loopy.
Im not saying it would be my number one choice for deeper water but there are times it certainly does work.

ott

my no 1 carp bait.the river where i fish for carp it is hard to catch fish on anything other than bread.i just use a small running sinker and a chemically sharpened no 4 hook.just take 3cm ish round bit of bread and squash it on the hook.works dynamite and i catch many carp fom 6 inches long to 15lb!

bigjon06

anyone catch the breadpunch article in last months iycf?, there was some good tips and rig ideas, i may go down the canal and see what pops up.

groundhog

Life Survivor
Never used to fish a canal without liquidised bread and my punches Barrybloke, bread is a bait that you have to have patience with, which is why a lot of anglers fail to use it, as you and I know it can produce and on it's day,there is nothing deadlier when you want to bag up.
I know there has been many a summer evening, where I've grabbed the tackle, and walking up the local canal have asked various anglers there how they were catching?, only to be told "it's dead mate" and "I would'nt bother tackling up if I was you mate", only to get to a spot and start bagging from the first put in, then getting the same anglers coming asking " what bait you using mate?", and after telling them getting the responce " I don't know how you got the patience to fish with that stuff, I have'nt".
Hence the result I am catching while they are doing poor impressions of garden gnomes holding a rod.
Tight Lines Bb
Regards G.H.
[:)][;)][:p][:D][:D]

breadflake

Site Supporter
Readily available,versatile and not to mention cheap,
i normally only use liquidised in the odd match when chub are expected. but love pleasure fishing with the flake and waggler, nip it on light and you can get it to float squeezed a little harder and it will sink very slowly or put a couple of no8s an inch from the hook and critically balance it this gives great lift bites with a fine tipped float i find the crucians especially love this presentation,sometimes i will feed half a dozen balls of brown crumb with a bit of rum flavouring but on a heavily stocked commercial fish shallow just strike the bread off the hook if not had a bite within 1 minute then back out again.
But best of all is when you wake up in the early hours at this time of year to a glorious spring morning say to yourself sod work,chuck a bit of tackle in the motor,call into the 24/7 garage get a loaf of bread 3 or 4 snickers a bottle of coke and get down to that lake.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Quote"But best of all is when you wake up in the early hours at this time of year to a glorious spring morning say to yourself sod work,chuck a bit of tackle in the motor,call into the 24/7 garage get a loaf of bread 3 or 4 snickers a bottle of coke and get down to that lake".

[;)] That sounds like good crack Breadflake. When we going Mucker??

mouse77

If its that good why do i only ever catch on it for 10 bloody minutes?

Any one out there fancy giving the worlds worst bread angler some lessons?

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
[:D] I,ll buy another pole. I will coach you on the punch and you can coach me on the B and J Mouse????
Thats something I dont understand about bread. A match situation and your hard pushed to make it last the duration and yet a pleasure session alongside other anglers and it will go all day as long as you dont overfeed it.

mouse77

Bloodworm and joker is easy, you put a pot full in then catch a roach a bung...you stop catching so you put some more in.

now breads a different matter, you catch 10 fish, re-feed, and don't get another bite whilst the bloke next to you catches a roach a bung feeding a ball a chuck.

There is just no justice.

breadflake

Site Supporter
Bloodworm?Bloodworm? who needs bleedin Bloodworm.[:)]
not very often i go anything other than a size 10 hook although it can be a medium wired one even on the pole (12 elastic 4.6 line)
have won the odd match or two using breadflake/waggler and not fed any thing apart from whats come of the hook, make em fight for it but i suppose as with anything else you need to know the venue.
Barrybloke feel sure we will meet up sometime chill out,chew the fat then catch some [:)]

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Im going to have to stop being a lazy sod and take the camera to the Mon and Brec and do a report on it.
Its a stunning canal with loads of quality fish and they love the bread.
I think it must be the most underfished canal in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.