Brand new to coarse fishing

Little bear

Hi folks, I've just switched over from Sea fishing and need some advice regarding rods. reels etc.

I'm after a decent pellet waggler rod and a couple of reels. Price wise i'm not wanting to spend over £200 for both. I bought a whip to start with just to make sure I enjoyed it but would like to step up with a rod and reel. I appreciate there are loads to choose from but because there is loads i'm a bit lost.

Cheers.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Perhaps ask in the local tackle shop. They often have deals. Mine is doing frenzee rod and reel deal for £70 ish. I can have a look later for you. With shopping local you also have a point of contact should there be a fault

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome to the correct side of angling :)

I can't help with rod & reel choice as my pellet waggler rod was won as a match prize and my reels cost me £10.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Noticed were you are from and decent tackle shops are a bit thin on the ground in your immediate area unless things have changed since I left the north east. My advice would be to head down to Darlington angling centre and try a few different rods and reels again its a while since I have been but they always carried a good range from a good selection of manufacturers, stick with known brands and take any advice that is given but in the end buy what feels right to you. Brands to look at would probably be Daiwa, Drennan, Maver, Garbolino for rods and for reels you won't go wrong with a Daiwa or a Shimano in either a 2500 or 3000 size, there are others out there but those are reliable brands that will have something in you price range, I would look at about £100 for a rod and £50 each for reels give or take a few quid

Little bear

Noticed were you are from and decent tackle shops are a bit thin on the ground in your immediate area unless things have changed since I left the north east. My advice would be to head down to Darlington angling centre and try a few different rods and reels again its a while since I have been but they always carried a good range from a good selection of manufacturers, stick with known brands and take any advice that is given but in the end buy what feels right to you. Brands to look at would probably be Daiwa, Drennan, Maver, Garbolino for rods and for reels you won't go wrong with a Daiwa or a Shimano in either a 2500 or 3000 size, there are others out there but those are reliable brands that will have something in you price range, I would look at about £100 for a rod and £50 each for reels give or take a few quid

There a few shops but most are split between freshwater and sea angling so not a massive selection of gear. Watched a video of Andy May and he was using a Map Parabolix whilst singing its praises (he's sponsored by them so its a given) but checked them out and everyone likes them but I cant find a stockist with them in at the moment. Thanks for the advice though.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I use a Greys TXL Specimen 11ft rod, great through action. Coupled with a Daiwa EM MS 2506 but can't get those reels cheap anymore.

Any 2500 size reel should do the trick.

nejohn

Site Supporter
There a few shops but most are split between freshwater and sea angling so not a massive selection of gear. Watched a video of Andy May and he was using a Map Parabolix whilst singing its praises (he's sponsored by them so its a given) but checked them out and everyone likes them but I cant find a stockist with them in at the moment. Thanks for the advice though.
The parabolix is indeed a nice rod but it would take up a very large chunk of your budget with the 11ft version having an RRP of £170ish so not leaving much for your 2 reels. You can get a perfectly useable decent quality pellet waggler rod for less than £100 and there are some very good bargains out there at the minute

Little bear

The parabolix is indeed a nice rod but it would take up a very large chunk of your budget with the 11ft version having an RRP of £170ish so not leaving much for your 2 reels. You can get a perfectly useable decent quality pellet waggler rod for less than £100 and there are some very good bargains out there at the minute
Yeah I've just been looking at the Map Dual which is about 80 to 90 which is a much better option for me.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You can get decent pellet waggler rods between £50 and £90 from Drennan,Matrix,Daiwa and more and spend the balance on two Daiwa Ninja reels.
A lot of the mid range tackle is in short supply at the moment but a browse around any decent tackle shop should have some or all of these brands, if you have to buy mail order speak to Gavin or Steve Hammy at Leigh Tackle and Bait who will have most of it in stock and available now.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Hull angling did have an 11’6 Daiwa pellet Waggler for £55, down from £170. Bargain if they still have them. A Daiwa 3012 reel for around £65 will do you just fine.