Brand Loyalty?

mbuna_matt

Try to keep some consistency, luggage (generally Preston Monster Hardcase of varying sizes) my wandering stuff is old MAP STI layflat (only as it didn't sell at club auction and I refused to bin it, or leave unused)

Rods, the most used are Drennan, reels Diawa (still water) or ABU (old 501's for running water..)

Seat box - MAP H30 lite, but brackets etc all Preston - as they have the widest range of modular widgets

Pole - MAP

Floats and other bits, whatever seems likely to work / catch fish best (and usually doesn't!)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Do you end up in tangles and in trees every session? If so, then it’s entirely possibly 😂😉
I don’t think I’ve ever been fishing and not had at least one minor tangle and hooked at least one piece of vegetation and at least one piece of clothing. Usually more than one occurrence of each with some of the tangles not so minor!

mbuna_matt

In my case I always hook one article of clothing I can't reach without taking the damn thing off. ;-) Why is it always in the jumper / jacket between shoulders......

The Landlord

Site Supporter
At the Alders fish-in, within seconds of the all-in, I hooked a skimmer that leapt out of the water & shed the hook. As I shipped back in, I hooked my keepnet & wasted ages, pulling it back out, retrieving the hook & putting the net back :rolleyes:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One day, I went down folkestone pier with my old Dad and my brother

now I normally fish two rods if Im sea fishing, so got both out, put em together and leant the 2nd rod up against the railings at the back, while I tackled the first up

first one ready, baited up and set steady for a cast out, leant back, hoofed it to buggery and somehow mid cast, got the lead wires caught in a ring of the second rod behind me

What a chuck that was, lead went flying out with the second rod doing a bloody good impression of Fatima whitbreads spear

a Daiwa paul kerry supercast beach rod went about 75 yard from the pier straight into the oggin

cue, massive laughter and merriment from the old boy and my younger brother

reeled back in and attempted to cast over a hook the rod which was floating towards the end of the pier,

no chance, last seen heading towards Dover in the tide run !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just shown a bit of tackle tartness/OCD and lack of brand loyalty myself.

Have been for the last couple years or so using a drennan 7 series float reel on my 13ft acolyte, despite it being probably not being as good as my Shimano Sahara, due in part to me liking having the rod and reel the same brand. But just got a 14ft acolyte for my birthday so went to order another 7 series reel only to find they've been discontinued so instead bought another Sahara as if the rod and reels can't match then the two outfits will have too match when on the bank together! When just using the 13ft on stillwaters I'll still pair it with the drennan reel but when both the 13ft and 14ft are set up together for the rivers they'll both have the Shimanos on the them 👍🏻😅😉

Did have to buy more line due to the Shimano's cavernous spools, shallow spools being a benefit of the drennan, but bobco were doing the reel cheaper than most other places to the extent that the line essentially only cost a few quid 👌🏻

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Having just purchased a few accessories I feel compelled to contribute to this thread... I've just realised that all but one of my box accessories are Preston (exception is my brolly arm, which is Maver). I don't think it's a particular brand loyalty, more that I feel pretty confident that the stuff is more or less bullet (and 8yr old boy) proof! Having said that, I also have a Preston margin pole :oops:

mbuna_matt

When it comes to "boy" proof I have to say hats off to Drennan - when I think back to what my lad did with his S7 Margin pole I shudder. But it's still going strong and is still his go to pole / method some 10 years or so later.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
When it comes to "boy" proof I have to say hats off to Drennan - when I think back to what my lad did with his S7 Margin pole I shudder. But it's still going strong and is still his go to pole / method some 10 years or so later.
I had to take the wet and dry paper to the ends of my Sensas pole at Christmas time. A year of being dropped/banged on concrete had left a few chips (might be "boy" proof, but clearly not 44yr old man proof :ROFLMAO:)

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I tend to stay loyal on poles so have always bought Garbo....my new box is also garbo but I have preston supera luggage.
Pole rollers are Maver, rods are mainly cadence but I do have MAP & Drennan.
Reels also a mixture, 6 Cadence; 3 Matrix; shimano and some really nice (3) Shakey Mach 3 2 x RD, 1 x FD)

feeders and end tackle tend to be guru and line is a mixture of N guage and Accu Power for pole rigs
Reel line is Daiwa Sensor.

I am fiercely loyal to my own pole floats......;):p

The reality is I look for VFM with quality making sure the product is fit for purpose.

Total

Site Supporter
I tend to stay loyal on poles so have always bought Garbo....my new box is also garbo but I have preston supera luggage.
Pole rollers are Maver, rods are mainly cadence but I do have MAP & Drennan.
Reels also a mixture, 6 Cadence; 3 Matrix; shimano and some really nice (3) Shakey Mach 3 2 x RD, 1 x FD)

feeders and end tackle tend to be guru and line is a mixture of N guage and Accu Power for pole rigs
Reel line is Daiwa Sensor.

I am fiercely loyal to my own pole floats......;):p

The reality is I look for VFM with quality making sure the product is fit for purpose.
You must qualify for being a Cadence Ambassador now! :whistle:;):ROFLMAO: