Brand Loyalty?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I use old reels occasionally for the sake of it and an ABU closed face on the river but everything else is 2500 rear drag shimano`s. These
reels are brilliant and despite being small have plenty of both capacity and cranking power. Also the spools are interchangeable, I can`t
see me ever changing.

matt

Site Supporter
No brand loyalty from me for coarse fishing gear....... I just buy whatever I believe to be the best suited to what I want to use it for.

Having said that though, i’ve just thought about my fly fishing gear and realised that all my rods and reels are Hardy, apart from one Lamson reel, so I suppose I am a fly fishing brand tart! :ROFLMAO:

violator

My box and all of my luggage are Maver, and I do prefer Sonubaits products. But my rods are a mixture of Drennan, Garbo, Daiwa, Shakey, Korum and Wychwood, and my reels are Daiwa, Korum and Mitchell

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I have one brand that I unfairly dismiss out of hand. There are a few that I've never owned, but that's usually down to exceedingly high prices or lack of availability. Beyond that, I'm not remotely loyal to brands. I have rods and reels from loads of different brands. I really don't care what the brand is, if I feel that it's the best I can get/afford, I'll buy it.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Like others, I just use what I think is best for job. My pole is Daiwa but my rods are made up of normark‘s, Milo, Preston, maver, frenzee, drennan, matrix and cresta! My luggage is mossella, browning, cresta and nu-fish.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have Browning poles, but no Browning rods. My rods are Drennan, Daiwa, Preston, Normark, Harrison, Garbolino and Dave Harrell. Oh and a Tony Ford Barbel rod. Reels are Shimano, Daiwa, Preston and Abu. Boxes are Boss , Sensas and Rive. Luggage is Browning and Preston.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Bits of everything for me. Mixture of Daiwa, Garbolino & Maver luggage. Sensor pole, Shimano reels. Unbranded clothing. If I like something, I'll buy it but I'm a bit of a skinflint when it comes to large tackle items. I'll spend any amounts on terminal tackle though & do like Preston and Guru hooks/hooklengths & line.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Not brand loyalty, but I do like the preston attachments, on my matrix box, I use matrix, drennan and frenzee luggage,, rods are, preston, daiwa, drennan, maver,, frenzee,, and cadence, reels are, preston,, cresta,, shimano and cadence,, I have tried daiwa reels,, but I can’t get on with the round grip, on the handles,,

Silver fan 82

My coarse fishing gear is a right mish mash of brands. I buy whatever is in my budget and will do the job. Brand loyalty is not something that is important to me. The fish don't know or care what make my tackle is 🤷‍♂️

Silver fan 82

Brand loyalty is certainly a thing among a lot of Anglers. Not so much Carp Fisherman from what I've seen but is a big thing among commie Anglers. I know people who don't buy anything other than Guru and another who doesn't purchase other than Preston. I'm not so much into 'Brand loyalty' but I do colour code my kit to the best of my ability. At the end of the day though, If I find a good deal on something I won't hesitate to buy it based on the fact that it's not the right brand or colour.
Trust me carp anglers are really fussy about what brands they use.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Only rods and poles - I've used largely Tricast since they first came out. Local company, great customer service and availability of spares long after a model has been discontinued.

DavC1h

Site Supporter
Same as most others really, buy what suits the need best. Having said that, love my Shimano reels, do have others though. Only have Map poles. Strangely, i will not use Daiwa at all, over priced and even more so, over-hyped, IMHO of course.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Never really thought about it, but I can see now that my allegiance has changed over the years.
1960's - Allcocks
1970's - ABU
1980's and 1990's - Daiwa
2000's, 2010's - Drennan
2020's - Allcocks, Aspindale, Millwards, Chapmans, Hardy, Youngs ...

Like @Sam Vimes, there are certain brands that I will not touch with a bargepole, with no justification.
I once had a catapult which broke the first time I used it.
I've since handled some rods which were lovely to use, but oh no, they had that same brand name on them, so they were no good.

R0B

I'm loyal to whatever brand makes the product which is best suited to purpose, pleases my eye, is within my budget and preferably with some credentials - like being a British company that supports the sport in the UK. Not direct from Aliexpress, which although staggeringly cheap, doesn't contribute to the UK angling economy.
I prefer the workhorse feel of Shimano reels over Daiwa - though also have two Daiwas. Coarse rods and pole are all Drennan - this is a hang over from when they first started making them as they were something special and outside the scope of my schoolboy pocket money. I've got 5 of them and the next rod will be a 9ft feeder, though probably not a Drennan. Maybe a Preston??
Matrix box with a mixture of preston and matrix attachments - whatever works especially if I can get secondhand as that sh*t gets expensive. I am not a sponsored angler, nor do I work in the tackle industry (although I have done) so it would be foolish to limit myself to one brand.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I don't have brand loyalty, I löök for what I think is the best bit of kit and buy it to meet my fishing requirements. But each to their own. :)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I dont have any brand loyalty - these days my kit is just whatever i can afford as i need it or as it becomes available.

Doing OK on it though :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use what I feel comfortable with and what to me does the job.
What I will not do is come out on parade looking like a walking advert for a brand.