Brand Loyalty?

Foul hooked

Reading through a thread on what old kit people still have it made me think about how much emphasis people put on brand loyalty these days when choosing new kit. Many of us are fiercely loyal to particular brands when making purchase decisions, especially big ticket items such as cars etc (my last three have all been from the same marque) but does this extend to our fishing tackle?

I must admit that at one time i would rarely look past Diawa for any new stuff as my local tackle shop at the time was a Diawa dealership and well respected and trusted being run by top anglers of the day.
These days though a rummage through my tackle reveals Rods from Abu, Maver, Shakespeare, Mitchell and a couple of Diawa whips, Reels by Shimano (2) Abu and Diawa, Drennan keepnets, Guru Landing net and pole, all carried in a Diawa rigid seatbox and Drennan rod bag. As i get older, i am more discerning and buy what i think will be best suited for the job and my budget and tend to look past the name (although i still only buy Maxima line and Kamasan hooks).
I still see some anglers on the banks completely kitted out, including sometimes their clothing, from a single manufacturer so brand loyalty is obviously still strong for some so wondered just how big a factor it is in modern times, especially with so much being bought untried on-line etc (must admit that i still prefer to try things out for feel at the local tackle shops, but where not possible, then i would definitely pick a brand that i know and trust).
How much of your kit is mix and match or do you stick with one brand for everything? I certainly have favourites for certain items (Shimano reels for eg) but not others

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Brand loyalty is certainly a thing among a lot of Anglers. Not so much Carp Fisherman from what I've seen but is a big thing among commie Anglers. I know people who don't buy anything other than Guru and another who doesn't purchase other than Preston. I'm not so much into 'Brand loyalty' but I do colour code my kit to the best of my ability. At the end of the day though, If I find a good deal on something I won't hesitate to buy it based on the fact that it's not the right brand or colour.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Doesn’t bother me. I’ve a maver pole, map seatbox, Preston rod holdal and dawia carryall. Nufish roller and side tray. If the price is right and it does the job I’ll have it. Currently looking at nufish roller bag, others are cheaper but this looks better for storage.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends what it is really as different brands make different kit better than others. Just a case of getting the best thing I can for the budget.

My primary natural venue set ups are save for the mainline all drennan but that's purely because I think they do the best stuff for that job, although buying local has a little bit of added attraction. But generally speaking my gear is a right old mish mash of stuff. Without going into all the luggage, nets, floats, feeders, weights, hooks, lures and all other terminal tackle and what not for rods and reels alone I've got stuff from drennan, cadence, korum, Leeda, Shakespeare, tfgear, Shimano, daiwa, pflueger, Garbolino, penn, Abu, finnor, okumu, rovex off the top of my head.

Line Clip

Preston Innovation logo on everything other than
1. Daiwa TDR reels
2.Guru Hybrid feeders (because preston don't do one ) WHY ?
3. Guru QM1 hooks

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Doesn’t bother me. I’ve a maver pole, map seatbox, Preston rod holdal and dawia carryall. Nufish roller and side tray. If the price is right and it does the job I’ll have it. Currently looking at nufish roller bag, others are cheaper but this looks better for storage.
Have a look at the Daiwa Tournament double roller bag. Brilliant piece of kit.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It doesn't bother me about brand loyalty, I buy what I think does the job I need it for best, the only proviso I will put on that is that nearly all of my reels have a Daiwa badge on for no other reason than I am more than happy with the performance and they seem to sit better my hands better than others. Apart from a lightweight packable water proof suit even my fishing clothing does not match

alsur

Site Supporter
No brand loyalty here luggage a mixture of Maver, Preston Matrix and Drennan, Rods Preston, Shimano, Daiwa and Drennan, Map pole. Pretty much same with rest of kit.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Not been fishing long enough to have developed brand loyalty.

Matrix pole and seatbox, Maver and Drennan rods, Preston reels, MAP rollers, Matrix luggage, loads of different terminal tackle, Daiwa waterproofs, Matrix hoodie, a mishmash of other clothes both fishing and non-fishing brands.

I buy the best I can afford to do the job I need it to do.

davepellet

I don't suppose it will come as much of a surprise to some people, but I am very brand-loyal
whatever I'm looking for, the first thing I look at is the Drennan option in that category

All my higher-usage rods, poles & my whip are Drennan, likewise my luggage & I also have a couple of the reels.. all my hooks, most of my floats & feeders, reel lines, pole lines, hooklength lines... landing nets/keepnets... yeah, pretty much everything, but I do also have kit from other brands... just struggling thinking of it! pole elastics, some line, shot, home made pole floats, seatbox (although I do have a bespoke Matchbox canal stool done out in the Drennan Team England colours & with the logo)

I think part of the reason for this is the knowledge that everything I buy with that name on is going to be a quality item, precision manufactured to very stringent design & QA spec's and I also know if I have a problem with any item it will get resolved quickly and with no fuss...

Not saying Drennan are the only brand of this quality, but why look elsewhere when I'm happy with what I've got?

Suppose I just reacted against the majority of anglers round here, who were all Team Daiwa'd up to the hilt... Tourney Pro's lined up as far as the eye could see... that most of them couldn't afford... just never wanted to follow the crowd

and as I've found excellent quality elsewhere I've never had cause to even consider the Daiwa alternative

Northantslad

'Any indications?
With you on the need to see it and take a proper look before buying, so tackle shop 99% of the time for me.
Bit of mixture for me, overall it has to do its job and i buy on that basis, but if it does its job and is from the same range even better. I do have a liking for kit to match, certainly luggage wise at lease. Trouble is, i have a shadow these days i have to be careful of influencing too much in my tastes, but its too late. Match kit i like Drennan luggage matching, he did similar and went Maver, what with my aqua colouration and his lime green everywhere you know we are coming.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Poles whips and rods, mainly Daiwa

reels, cant beat a Shimano

Drennan for bits and consumables

seatboxes, nothings ever come near a good old Boss

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
No brand loyalty for me, I buy what I like from each Brand, used to like the look of some of the maver seat boxes but the garish green put me of Maver stuff.

Paul.P

Love my tricast rods & poles, also have matrix rods, reels are shimano, daiwa, preston & abu, box is Octbox, various guru bits, luggage is mosella, so quite varied, i'd like to think i buy what i consider is best for me, & not necessarily whats in fashion at the time. Ain't really bothered what it looks like as long as it does the job.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Reels - Mitchell, Okuma, Daiwa, Shimano, Lewtham & J W Young.

Poles - Drennan, MAP & Tricast

Rods - Nash, Wychwood, Daiwa, TFG, Garbolino, Tricast, Drennan, Leeda, Maver, Okuma, Greys, Shakespeare, Shimano, Simpsons of Turnford & North Western.

Seat box - Shakespeare, Daiwa

Holdalls - Trakker, Cult, Abu Garcia & Browning. Oh and a Sensas one I nearly forgot about.