Brains required.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Afternoon men, PG here {trying not to get told off again}. Bought a new computer and after consulting you lot have
decided to use windows own security, anyway I want to download google chrome and I want to download the sky
sports app but the computer won`t let me because it says I need to get out of safe mode.

If I get out of safe mode does defender and the firewall still work?

Does anyone know of a s i m p l e foolproof way of getting out of safe mode, the run and `msconfig` way does not work
because the bit to untick is not ticked anyway.

I think I have windows 11 {the start button is in the middle of task bar}.

Had the computer a while but have only just started to use it, if I can`t use windows own security I shall use `avast` because
quite a few on here recommend it.

Beginning to wish I had bought a chromebook, it`salmost as if microsoft are out to get us.

I`m sure one of you Boris Karloff orangutan lookalikes can help, I would be most grateful.

FadingLikeDecay

Why are you in Safe Mode?
I’ve not used Windows 10 but I would imagine the boot process is still the same as Windows 10 i.e. to get into Safe Mode, you purposely have to interrupt the boot sequence when prompted at startup (usually by pressing F2 or delete), then choose Safe Mode from the BIOS.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I always thought `safe mode` was an option from the boot menu when in trouble but it seems it is a default thingy
now, strange. You can see why I`m confused, it doesn`t take much.

satinet

Microsoft. Words fail me sometimes.
Amazing the powers that be let them get away with it.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Thank you gentlemen, out of safe mode, google and avast installed with sky pending.

Yes even someone with my enormous brain power needs a little bit of advice from time to time.

Once again the mighty MD comes up trumps.

davylad

Site Supporter
You'll love Sky Go, until you find BT is getting more and more of the big sports events. :cry:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
You'll love Sky Go, until you find BT is getting more and more of the big sports events. :cry:
Yes see what you mean but I use my youngest`s sky/bt go for nothing. Her family use my Norfolk holiday home when they like and
I make them a big box of onion bhaji`s now and then so I reckon that`s a good trade off. Although I like watching the football along
with the cricket I wouldn`t pay sky off my own back, not when players are being paid ridiculous amounts of money along with all the
trivia and tripe that goes with the programs. I often just switch on when the game starts and have the sound off.

I`m using a small laptop at the moment for everyday usage but a larger one just for the footie and cricket. The larger one though is
years old and I have to literally thump the mouse pad and although the hinges have broken I have soldiered on with it but an exposed
sharp bit on one of the hinges has sliced through a wire so it`s curtains. Got a decent sized laptop with a pentium i3 for three hundred
quid {acer}, basically a like for like replacement so I`m happy.

Have asked this question before but can`t remember the answer, is it safe to stay logged into MD rather than in and out all the time?

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Thank you gentlemen, out of safe mode, google and avast installed with sky pending.

Yes even someone with my enormous brain power needs a little bit of advice from time to time.

Once again the mighty MD comes up trumps.
PG...all this bloomin niceness and joy this evening is wearing me out...please resume to the normal PG mode I enjoy reading !!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
And it's pointless asking me, I'm non compost mental. Or something like that.