braid

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectradog

Advice please.
I have recently purchased a spool of Dyneema to replace the braid I have been using for Irish trips.
Do I need backing on the reel spool or can I fill the spool right up with Dyneema?
If I use superglue to "fix" knots will it affect Dyneema?
Thanks
Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I use at least a small amount of mono backing with any braid. Stops the stuff from slipping and since you can stretch the mono and make it sit tight, I think it reduces any problems with the braid "bedding" or digging into itself.

If you don't have enough spool capacity, I suggest a couple turns around the spool with a plastic electricians tape before putting the line on.

Can't help you with the "superglue" part of the question. I stick pretty much with a palomar knot and they just do not slip. At all. Ever. With any line I've used.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 30 March 2002 12:20:34 AM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Vectra and welcome to the forum,
Sorry, cant help with this as I've not needed to superglue any braid, or use dyneema,
Hope you'll get a quick reply, but I dont remember anybody mentioning this stuff yet.

By the way, you can delete your duplicate post by clicking the bin item ,last right on tool bar.

Cya

Trev

Ziptrev ape.gif I do NOT BELIEVE it

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Dyneema is the stuff they use to make bullet proof vests. The braid needs to sit on nylon or tape. It has been known to rotate around the spool when put under tension. Why do you need to use super glue? My experience of super glue and braid is that it tends to spread thru capillery action up the braid so stiffening it. Braid does need special knots but as trev says the palomar is simple to tie and is a proven knot

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.