BRAID VERSUS MONOFILAMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYJL1964

flamethrower2.gif

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY THERE IS SO MUCH FUSS RE: BRAID?

I'VE BEEN OUT OF FISHING FOR TWO YEARS OR SO AND I AM A BIT OUT OF TOUCH,

THANKS IN ADVANCE

ANDY

Andy J Lockwood

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Andy and welcome on board icon_smile.gif

Braid has the distinct advantage/disadvantage depending on how you see it as having no stretch compared to mono, this can give better bite/hook ratios and also increased control when playing a fish.
Generally the diameter of braid in relation to it's breaking strength is better than mono as it is much stronger for a given diameter.
Presentation can be greatly improved especially in the higher strengths as the braid is more supple than mono.
Many braids have a protective coating on them to help stop the line from fouling with weeds etc as braid is coarse compared to mono. This coating is removed by many on the last couple of inches near the hook to further increase suppleness.

The disadvantages are that because of the lack of stretch, it is not so forgiving when playing a fish so you need to make sure that your drag is reliable and set correctly. Some cheaper lines can collect weed, etc causing fouling. Braid in lower breaking strains tends to tangle easily especially on rivers or when using a bait that has a tendancy to spin upon retrieval ie castors.

Definately (in my opinion) a line for the larger fish hunter

Hope this helps, Dave

ANDYJL1964

Cheers Dave.

Just one more query. i read an angling report and it said that the person fishing was using 8lb B.S. mono with 14lb Braid as the hook length.
Surely this goes against all the rules i.e. your hook length should be a weaker B.S than your main-line.

Regards,

Andy

Andy J Lockwood

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now that's one that I've never understood either,

Braid hooklengths are restricted a little in their breaking strains ranges but I for one can't understand the reason for a stronger hooklength than the main line. I always thought it should be the other way around,

anyone.......icon_smile_question.gif

Dave

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet Peeps
The braid is more resistant to stones, mussles and other sharp objects on a lake bed,the way your end tackle lays.
The way braid is made up is what gives it a higher BS than mono, you can buy ultra smooth braid as well as course.like every thing in life you buy cheap you get cheap, but when you buy a good quality braid and it starts to lose its colour as it often does, take it off the spool and turn it around and you will get another season out of it.
When you first have a fish on using braid you can feel every twich something you don't get from mono.
Take it from me the first time you play a fish on a spool of braid you will not be able to run a credit card between your tightly clenched bum cheeks.

Stu

AndyA

quote:Take it from me the first time you play a fish on a spool of braid you will not be able to run a credit card between your tightly clenched bum cheeks.
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

now that cracked me up !!! icon_smile_approve.gif

angler-mark

Think I'll buy a bulk spool and tighten up a pair of old sagging bum cheeks! Even my wife wants to go fishing now!!!! icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

Tight Lines

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.