Braid users ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
A modified version of the knot used by beachcasters which is a figure of 8 knot with a whip knot in the braid behind it ot the two or three turn water knot which is the same knot tied by the Daiwa tool, The FG knot is fine too but a little difficult to tie on the bank in the wind and rain.

TimFB

I have used braid for all sorts of sea fishing and lure fishing for many years and when it comes to knots, and particularly leaders knots, the thing I’d say to add to Kenthepacman’s comments about knot strength is that very few knots that work with mono work with braid or will result in very weak knot strength or slippage.

The only one I have found to be reliable and strong in braid for attaching things like swivels is the uni/grinner knot, and you must tie it with a double length of braid and must use at least 5 turns for it to be effective.

When it comes to leader knots the FG knot is an amazingly strong knot and can be used with just about any strength of leader. I regularly join 30lb braid to 80-100lb rubbing leaders at one extreme to 10- 20lb braid to 15lb fluoro at the other with it. It casts like a dream. The other one that is very effective is a double uni/grinner. Just remember to make the braid half in doubled over line and use at least 5 turns. It isn’t a smooth thru the rings as a FG knot, but is effective and strong.

PS the easiest way to tie the FG knot is this way. When you get the hang of it you can tie it in about a minute...even on a rolling boat!

Hope that helps.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
thats
I have used braid for all sorts of sea fishing and lure fishing for many years and when it comes to knots, and particularly leaders knots, the thing I’d say to add to Kenthepacman’s comments about knot strength is that very few knots that work with mono work with braid or will result in very weak knot strength or slippage.

The only one I have found to be reliable and strong in braid for attaching things like swivels is the uni/grinner knot, and you must tie it with a double length of braid and must use at least 5 turns for it to be effective.

When it comes to leader knots the FG knot is an amazingly strong knot and can be used with just about any strength of leader. I regularly join 30lb braid to 80-100lb rubbing leaders at one extreme to 10- 20lb braid to 15lb fluoro at the other with it. It casts like a dream. The other one that is very effective is a double uni/grinner. Just remember to make the braid half in doubled over line and use at least 5 turns. It isn’t a smooth thru the rings as a FG knot, but is effective and strong.

PS the easiest way to tie the FG knot is this way. When you get the hang of it you can tie it in about a minute...even on a rolling boat!

Hope that helps.

a new knot for me, cheers

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@Ken the Pacman I found the Daiwa Sokkou Knot Tool videos on YouTube but was wondering if you knew of a video showing your knot. No stress if there is no such thing. YouTube is a mind field of different knots!
The FG looks better to travel through rings but what do you thing about the GT Knot Lads?
Seemingly 100% Strength!

TimFB

Not much difference between the GT and FG knot. Both are claimed to be 100% strength. The FG knot is much easier to tie.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
practiced tying this knot this morning

6 times, got it spot on now

as an aside, has anyone ever shrink wrapped it or slid a piece of silicon tube over it ?

JLK

Why mess around with all these fancy knots when all you need to do is tie a loop on the main line and attach the braid using a 5/6 turn half blood knot?

TimFB

practiced tying this knot this morning

6 times, got it spot on now

as an aside, has anyone ever shrink wrapped it or slid a piece of silicon tube over it ?
I sometimes put a blob of superglue on it if i tie it at home - it stops it fluffing up when you are casting repeatedly, but other than than, does nt make any difference...you’ll hardly notice it going thru the rings so no need for silicone or anything like that