Braid users ?

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Berkley big game braid, low vis green

anybody ever used it ? do believe its an american import ?

10lb, but it says on the spool, 300 yardsof 2lb test diameter, what does that mean ?

intend on using it for the feeder on medium distance 50 yardchucks, but would like to know a bit more before I load the spools

cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve used various Berkeley braids for sea fishing although can’t recall the particular lines but most are good stuff and 10lb should come out with a diameter somewhere around what a 3-4lb mono would be of that helps. I guess if that particular one is super high tech (I don’t think it’s one I’ve used) then it may well have the diameter of 2lb mono but sounds like thats pushing it to me.

TimFB

Use lots of braid for sea fishing, lure fishing - but don’t use it for coarse as i’ve no need for it.

Have used lots of Berkeley braids - they are all very reliable. The others I like are Power Pro in 4 and 8 strand and Sufix 832. The Sufix is an 8 strand super thin, soft braid and is my favourite. The only drawback is that abrasion resistance isn’t as good as the others, but I am always using mono/fluoro leaders of between 7 and 15ft, so it doesn’t come into it. With braid, you don’t always get what you pay for...you can pay ludicrous money for some of the Japanese 8 strands, and they don’t exactly help you catch any more fish :rolleyes: best to stick to the well known ones that are more affordable and tend to be more reliable in my experience.

Ps to answer your question, all American braids state both a breaking strain (10lb) and the equivalent mono line diameter (2lb) so that your average American realizes that 10lb braid is thinner than 10lb mono:ROFLMAO: the main thing with American braids is that they have a habit of the stated breaking strain being a bit out...usually understating them, so it isn’t an issue unless you are into line class records...

Last edited:

davylad

Site Supporter
I've been using Dyneema Saratoga, I think 10lb is 0.14, absolutely no issues with it at all. You can pay a lot more and get a thinner diameter, I use it for beach fishing, and if you need to cast a long way, it's imperative you spool it up right. I pay around a tenner for 500m.

checker45

Like TimFB I use braid regularily for Bass lure fishing and also a fan of Sufix 832.
I like SpiderWire as well. Only one that has given me trouble was Daiwa JBraid though some people seem to like it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I like spider wire and a few of the Berkley offerings. I’ve used suffix but never bought it myself as it tends to be too expensive for the use I’d get out of it.

checker45

Sufix used to be cheap via Poland I think on ebay, if I had to use just one now it would be Spiderwire.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I would think most of them would be given in the light breaking strains they’re designed to be used for casting rather than dropping over the side of the boat. I personally couldn’t get on with braid for coarse fishing as it was almost too sensitive for the relatively short ranges I was using it for in that the tip constantly moved and I felt I was getting more hook pulls than mono but I would be prepared to give it another go if I ever did distance fishing.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
They’re are braids specifically designed for feeder fishing long range , that’s all I meant , there are better options

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Staff member
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Use lots of braid for sea fishing, lure fishing - but don’t use it for coarse as i’ve no need for it.

Have used lots of Berkeley braids - they are all very reliable. The others I like are Power Pro in 4 and 8 strand and Sufix 832. The Sufix is an 8 strand super thin, soft braid and is my favourite. The only drawback is that abrasion resistance isn’t as good as the others, but I am always using mono/fluoro leaders of between 7 and 15ft, so it doesn’t come into it. With braid, you don’t always get what you pay for...you can pay ludicrous money for some of the Japanese 8 strands, and they don’t exactly help you catch any more fish :rolleyes: best to stick to the well known ones that are more affordable and tend to be more reliable in my experience.

Ps to answer your question, all American braids state both a breaking strain (10lb) and the equivalent mono line diameter (2lb) so that your average American realizes that 10lb braid is thinner than 10lb mono:ROFLMAO: the main thing with American braids is that they have a habit of the stated breaking strain being a bit out...usually understating them, so it isn’t an issue unless you are into line class records...

cheers for the explanation, though looking at it and a length of 2lb mono, the braid is thicker, looking more like something nearer 4 or 5lb line, (without getting the micrometer out)

its going to be used on a medium distance chuck on the feeder, in the pursuit of roach on a local lake, will be using a shock leader

JLK

Browning black magic gold is a great product. Sinks very well and cheap as chips.
Maver Stone River is another one. Re-released due to popular demand.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Braid compresses if its a woven product so the diameters are usually understated, the material does not like knots and it is common for a loss of strength at the knot of around 50% even with good knots so if it says 20lb breaking strain expect a realistic 10lb. Some braids used to allow for this and 40lb braids were sold as 20lb or a separate knot strength quoted but this applied mainly to Fireline which is a fused braid as opposed to a woven product.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use braid where allowed and have done for 30+ years. You cannot measure it with a micrometer. I use the FG knot to tie my leader on as it's the strongest and thinnest knot .
To use it you need either a soft tipped rod or a soft wrist when holding the rod, ie when the fish is close in you don't allow the rod to lay along the arm but only held by the hand.
All indications are magnified on either the tip or the bobbin, so you have to forget all you know about fishing with mono and learn all over again how to fish with braid. That means NO striking, no heavy handedness, also braid twists under pressure and untwists when the pressure is released, whereas mono only does a little due to ineffective bale arm rollers or bad use of the reel.
Do not use chrome rings as the braid will cut them very quickly, you must use lined rings throughout the rod.