Braid Diameter Question

CarpCatcher86

I recently bought a spool of Spiderwire Dura 4 braid, 64lb 0.30mm diameter. The Stradic FL 5000 reel I have is supposed to hold 175 meters of 0.35 line. After filling the spool with a few meters of 10lb mono to give the braid something to grip, the spool only took about 100m of the 150m spool, based roughly on the reel having a retrieve rate of 1.1 meters per handle turn.
My question is, is the stated line capacity wrong or is the stated diameter of the braid wrong?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Braid is soft so it compresses when measured by normal means which explains why some very low diameters are stated plus it can be difficult to load braid under the same tension as you can nylon.

CarpCatcher86

Braid is soft so it compresses when measured by normal means which explains why some very low diameters are stated plus it can be difficult to load braid under the same tension as you can nylon.
I did think that. But then I have never had any problems with 30 and 50lb braid of the same brand. The only difference being that the 30 and 50lb braid I bought is being used on a stradic 4000 CI4 reel instead of the FL 5000.
If the braid had compressed, surely it would take more than the stated required capacity rather than less.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Actual braid diameters - don’t go there, it is a minefield, especially in the stronger stuff.

I do quite a bit of topwater fishing and jigging for GT, Yellowfin tuna, Dogtooth tuna etc using braids from PE3 to PE8 (c.30 to 100lb). There are endless debates about the subject on the various sportfishing forums and all conclude that stated diameters are generally horse?, whether you are buying cheap Chinese stuff or Varivss GT Max at $100 a spool.

Then there is the fact that the same line will be marketed with a completely different breaking strain and diameter depending on whether it is being sold in Europe or the US.

Rant over....

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I did think that. But then I have never had any problems with 30 and 50lb braid of the same brand. The only difference being that the 30 and 50lb braid I bought is being used on a stradic 4000 CI4 reel instead of the FL 5000.
If the braid had compressed, surely it would take more than the stated required capacity rather than less.
What I was getting at was that if you do not spool the braid under the correct tension,most do it to loose which will add to the problem you have but the main cause is what is says on the packet being wrong

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
When spooling up with the proper stuff, if your arm isn't falling off then you're not winding it on tight enough :ROFLMAO: