Brafferton To The Rescue

Simon R

Site Supporter
The second match of our much disrupted and rearranged season should have been at Grange Farm Pond near Thirsk and should have been our float-only contest, however although open for pleasure fishing they’d cancelled the match bookings for the time being so I needed to find another venue and after calling a couple of local spots and getting no joy I tried Brafferton and was pleased they were able to accommodate us on Spring Lake – which is probably my personal favourite of the four lakes here anyway. Since we were due to fish at Brafferton back in May when the match was cancelled I switched the trophy to that one and we’ll hold the float only contest at a later date.

We had pegs 1-23 down the left-hand side of the lake booked and since we had 14 fishing I positioned the requisite number of pegs so everyone had a feature of some sort to fish too (even if only a clump of reeds in the margin). Talking to Chris in the tackle shop the day before he’d been down mid-week and mentioned that permanent peg eight was currently a bit of a snag pit so I missed that out too.
Image00022.jpg

I pulled peg 22 out of the hat, which was our end peg – I’d left 23 out as it’s right in the corner and wouldn’t give an angler drawing it a lot of actual water to fish in. I had no features in front of me but there was a big bush in the corner (thirteen and a bit metres away) and a small clump of reeds in my right-hand margin. There was also some fairly copious weed growth along the left-hand margin so I rigged up my 10m Edge Master as well as my standard pole just in case I needed to drag any hooked fish out of the weed.

Image00011.jpg Image00006.jpg

After plumbing up I settled on just four lines – straight out at 10m, the bottom of the marginal shelf (basically 2+2), the right hand margin and the bush in the corner. Normally the fish in this lake aren’t shy so after an initial feed I wasn’t going to waste a lot of time under the bush unless I saw some fish movement.

Starting on the 2+2 line with maggot on the hook saw, as expected really, a couple of small silvers enter the net. I was just pinging 4mm feed pellets at the float, constant feeding normally being the way to go on this lake. I really wanted to fish a little further out but despite being the most sheltered of the lakes the wind was really swirling about and my loose feed was going all over at anything much over 6m. I picked up an F1 about a pound and a couple of hand-sized skimmers but it was a bit slow. I had a look under the bush but that only produced small roach and it’s a bit of a chore shipping back and forth to 13m for fish of less than an ounce.

Image00002.jpg Image00003.jpg

I stretched my legs after a couple of hours to see what else was getting caught, it was mainly F1s and odd carp getting caught but nobody was bagging until I got down to peg one. Rob had drawn this peg for the second time and I fully expected him to win the match – put a decent angler on a decent peg and there’s only usually one outcome. He was fishing the tip over towards a bush at the end of the reed beds and losing rather more gear than he was happy with due to sizeable carp bolting back under it as soon as they got hooked – a switch to pellet waggler out into open water – where many sizeable carp were cruising about reduced his losses.

Image00023.jpg

After grabbing more pellets from the car I returned to my peg and persevered on the same line, getting a couple more F1s and small skimmers. Steve to my left hadn’t seen a sign of a carp until a brief encounter with one left three feet of overstretched elastic dangling from the end of his pole. I foul-hooked something sizable too but it came adrift almost immediately – the scale I retrieved demonstrating where I’d hooked it.

Image00016.jpg
Normally I would bank on mugging a fish or two on this lake – I had two for about 15lb when I fished here a month ago but compared to the top end of the lake which resembled an aquarium there weren’t many fish venturing down my end of the lake and those that did were well outside pole range. The margins can be very productive on this lake so I dumped a pot of chopped worm in, looking for a big perch or two and dropping half a dendrobena into the same spot I got an immediate response and landed one – unfortunately very much of the junior variety. I got a few more perch but nothing over 4oz.
Image00012.jpg
I stayed in the same area for the last hour. I fed heavily, hurling the bait at the water to make a commotion resembling an angler packing up and chucking away the last of his bait – a sign that I’m sure the fish recognise as being a period when they can feed close in without getting caught. It kind of worked – I soon had a couple of carp nosing around the margins and kicking up clouds of silt but they weren’t quite so keen on swallowing the baited hook and when I accidently draped the line across one of their backs they spooked and bow-waved across the lake.

At the end I reckoned I had seven or eight pounds – 6 F1s and a few bits. I was little bit out the two nets going 9lb 6oz.

Image00017.jpg Image00018.jpg

Steve never saw a carp all day but probably had the best all silver net with 7lb 2oz

Image00020.jpg

Frankie on the next peg had tipped back and George on peg 16 only had a shade over four pounds – despite his best attempts at spreading them out for the photo.

Image00009.jpg

Barry on peg 15 had caught just over the marginal shelf - using a Stillwater Blue naturally and weighed 8lb 2oz

Image00001.jpg

That just pipped Rob B. who undoubtedly had the biggest bream of the day and beat his Dad again with 7lb 13oz

Image00013.jpg

On peg 12 Kev had a mixed bag weighing 6lb 6oz

Image00010.jpg

Chris on Peg 10 and Darren on peg 10 had the first half decent weights

21lb 5oz for Chris – mainly on the pole

Image00004.jpg

And 30lb 4oz for Darren also on the pole

Image00007.jpg

Down to peg 6 and Dave pushed me back another spot with 9lb 14oz

Image00008.jpg

Steve R. didn’t have a lot with 5lb 3oz

Image00019.jpg

Bob tipped back and Tink finished tenth with 5lb 13oz

Image00021.jpg

There was little doubt about the winner though – Rob had some lumps amongst the F1s and two weighs later finished with 68lb 11oz – 15oz more than he caught from the same peg last October.

Image00014.jpg Image00015.jpg

Next match we’re at Dromonby Farm for an evening session on July 3rd – members only due to the size of the venue.

And on July 12th we return to Brafferton on the same lake and same pegs.

And this was the margins of peg 10 when I walked back to retrieve my nets - clouds of mud and tail patterns from fish ripping up the bottom
Image00005.jpg

Simon

Attachments

• Image00011.jpg
    Image00011.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 0

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The second match of our much disrupted and rearranged season should have been at Grange Farm Pond near Thirsk and should have been our float-only contest, however although open for pleasure fishing they’d cancelled the match bookings for the time being so I needed to find another venue and after calling a couple of local spots and getting no joy I tried Brafferton and was pleased they were able to accommodate us on Spring Lake – which is probably my personal favourite of the four lakes here anyway. Since we were due to fish at Brafferton back in May when the match was cancelled I switched the trophy to that one and we’ll hold the float only contest at a later date.

We had pegs 1-23 down the left-hand side of the lake booked and since we had 14 fishing I positioned the requisite number of pegs so everyone had a feature of some sort to fish too (even if only a clump of reeds in the margin). Talking to Chris in the tackle shop the day before he’d been down mid-week and mentioned that permanent peg eight was currently a bit of a snag pit so I missed that out too.
Image00022.jpg

I pulled peg 22 out of the hat, which was our end peg – I’d left 23 out as it’s right in the corner and wouldn’t give an angler drawing it a lot of actual water to fish in. I had no features in front of me but there was a big bush in the corner (thirteen and a bit metres away) and a small clump of reeds in my right-hand margin. There was also some fairly copious weed growth along the left-hand margin so I rigged up my 10m Edge Master as well as my standard pole just in case I needed to drag any hooked fish out of the weed.

Image00011.jpg Image00006.jpg

After plumbing up I settled on just four lines – straight out at 10m, the bottom of the marginal shelf (basically 2+2), the right hand margin and the bush in the corner. Normally the fish in this lake aren’t shy so after an initial feed I wasn’t going to waste a lot of time under the bush unless I saw some fish movement.

Starting on the 2+2 line with maggot on the hook saw, as expected really, a couple of small silvers enter the net. I was just pinging 4mm feed pellets at the float, constant feeding normally being the way to go on this lake. I really wanted to fish a little further out but despite being the most sheltered of the lakes the wind was really swirling about and my loose feed was going all over at anything much over 6m. I picked up an F1 about a pound and a couple of hand-sized skimmers but it was a bit slow. I had a look under the bush but that only produced small roach and it’s a bit of a chore shipping back and forth to 13m for fish of less than an ounce.

Image00002.jpg Image00003.jpg

I stretched my legs after a couple of hours to see what else was getting caught, it was mainly F1s and odd carp getting caught but nobody was bagging until I got down to peg one. Rob had drawn this peg for the second time and I fully expected him to win the match – put a decent angler on a decent peg and there’s only usually one outcome. He was fishing the tip over towards a bush at the end of the reed beds and losing rather more gear than he was happy with due to sizeable carp bolting back under it as soon as they got hooked – a switch to pellet waggler out into open water – where many sizeable carp were cruising about reduced his losses.

Image00023.jpg

After grabbing more pellets from the car I returned to my peg and persevered on the same line, getting a couple more F1s and small skimmers. Steve to my left hadn’t seen a sign of a carp until a brief encounter with one left three feet of overstretched elastic dangling from the end of his pole. I foul-hooked something sizable too but it came adrift almost immediately – the scale I retrieved demonstrating where I’d hooked it.

Image00016.jpg
Normally I would bank on mugging a fish or two on this lake – I had two for about 15lb when I fished here a month ago but compared to the top end of the lake which resembled an aquarium there weren’t many fish venturing down my end of the lake and those that did were well outside pole range. The margins can be very productive on this lake so I dumped a pot of chopped worm in, looking for a big perch or two and dropping half a dendrobena into the same spot I got an immediate response and landed one – unfortunately very much of the junior variety. I got a few more perch but nothing over 4oz.
Image00012.jpg
I stayed in the same area for the last hour. I fed heavily, hurling the bait at the water to make a commotion resembling an angler packing up and chucking away the last of his bait – a sign that I’m sure the fish recognise as being a period when they can feed close in without getting caught. It kind of worked – I soon had a couple of carp nosing around the margins and kicking up clouds of silt but they weren’t quite so keen on swallowing the baited hook and when I accidently draped the line across one of their backs they spooked and bow-waved across the lake.

At the end I reckoned I had seven or eight pounds – 6 F1s and a few bits. I was little bit out the two nets going 9lb 6oz.

Image00017.jpg Image00018.jpg

Steve never saw a carp all day but probably had the best all silver net with 7lb 2oz

Image00020.jpg

Frankie on the next peg had tipped back and George on peg 16 only had a shade over four pounds – despite his best attempts at spreading them out for the photo.

Image00009.jpg

Barry on peg 15 had caught just over the marginal shelf - using a Stillwater Blue naturally and weighed 8lb 2oz

Image00001.jpg

That just pipped Rob B. who undoubtedly had the biggest bream of the day and beat his Dad again with 7lb 13oz

Image00013.jpg

On peg 12 Kev had a mixed bag weighing 6lb 6oz

Image00010.jpg

Chris on Peg 10 and Darren on peg 10 had the first half decent weights

21lb 5oz for Chris – mainly on the pole

Image00004.jpg

And 30lb 4oz for Darren also on the pole

Image00007.jpg

Down to peg 6 and Dave pushed me back another spot with 9lb 14oz

Image00008.jpg

Steve R. didn’t have a lot with 5lb 3oz

Image00019.jpg

Bob tipped back and Tink finished tenth with 5lb 13oz

Image00021.jpg

There was little doubt about the winner though – Rob had some lumps amongst the F1s and two weighs later finished with 68lb 11oz – 15oz more than he caught from the same peg last October.

Image00014.jpg Image00015.jpg

Next match we’re at Dromonby Farm for an evening session on July 3rd – members only due to the size of the venue.

And on July 12th we return to Brafferton on the same lake and same pegs.

And this was the margins of peg 10 when I walked back to retrieve my nets - clouds of mud and tail patterns from fish ripping up the bottom
Image00005.jpg

Simon
Great report ,well done to you all ,a very hard day but I hope you all enjoyed it.