BRAFFERTON Hints and Tips Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulHarrison999

Hey guys,

ive got a match on Brafferton F1 lake this sunday , anyone got any gud hints and tips on how to fish it, wat baits, methods etc...

Paul

paulod

Site Supporter
Fished it a couple of times recently. It seems a bit peggy to me. Productive methods seem to be pellet tight over, (and I mean REALLY tight over), loose fed maggot shallow about 2/3rds across, paste down the track and, if you're lucky, pellet down your near shelf. It's deep too, 6', and you do get carp down there. They must be lost. Take plenty of bait just in case you're on them, but take it easy to begin with.

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
In opposition to Paul[:0] PILE IT IN and keep it going in by spraying pellet at the far bank. Fish TIGHT as Paul said but don't be afraid to come off the island using the same rig and you'll pick up a good few fish shallow as it shelves off quickly and coming off a foot from the island will put you very under depth.

Paste line at base of shelf at your feet but angle 5-6m down the bank BOTH sides and you can pick up fish from one then switch to the next.
BEWARE of gudgeon!! They will terrorise you, hence keeping the feed going in to feed them off. If they really batter you, switch to corn or meat as at least it doesn't strike off so easy.

paulod

Site Supporter
Well, I too was told to feed heavily on my first visit: it didn't work for me or anybody else for that matter. I tried again, spraying across on my second match, and again it didn't work, (and again, too, it didn't work for anybody else). When I did catch it was by bog-standard pole cup etc.
Then again, I've only been twice, so I'd always defer to experienced locals. [;)]

methodgob

yoda
Don't follow Cybermancs advice!!
Ok...you can get to pile a load of bait in,but,find out if you can first!you can't take it out.Also if all the pegs are in then you will not be on a bagging mission.Take it easy to start with.Fish a lot of lines and 1 or 2 will produce for you.Stick to those.You'll catch in different places on different pegs.

Pellet or 4mm cubes of meat have been working lately.Our local tackle shop has matches on there just about every week.Apparently it didn't fish well this weekend,but there were a few 70lb weights.
The week before that our lots weds match was won with 150 odd pound with at least 3 more weights over 130lb!

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
Quiet MethodGob!!!

In the Teeesside League this year the regular winners and placers (unfortunately Chin was one lol)[:p] piled it in regularly to keep interest. This was when it was FULL on the lake and in the later weeks when it was spaced pegs.

Getting near autumn now so the big feed is due!

BAZZA

Account Locked
If the lake is busy with every peg occupied you will struggle, if you have plenty of room fish double maggot tight across and feed heavy with maggot, 1 cup full every half hour and a large toss pot full every put in, they will turn up eventually trust me Chin said so.

methodgob

yoda
As you've said Cybermanc "In the Teeesside League this year the regular winners and placers (unfortunately Chin was one lol) piled it in regularly to keep interest"
because they could!!It's a gamble.If it pays off all well and good,but you look a right pratt if it backfires!!
Far better to feel your way into a match on a new venue and see what's happening round you, than just to throw caution to the wind.
It'll only take 10/15 mins for you to know how it's going to fish.Then you can feed accordingly.

What were the backing weights like on the Teeside league?

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
Pretty poor.............. all the guys who dribbled feed in couldn't cope lol[:p]

Another good tip if you draw the end of an island (the better pegs) is to kill off the guy next to you[}:)] Find the mid point between the two of you and PILE in with big balls of groundbait. Any fish that come round the island past you get to that bait and back off and come back to you. Dirty but VERY effective hehehehehe

paulod

Site Supporter
I'm all for piling it in on carp venues as a rule, it's my usual approach at Woodlands with meat, occasionally pellet, and I put nearly five pints of maggot at The Oaks a couple of weeks ago and got 2nd. I'm just telling what happened in the two matches I fished. from what I'm reading it might be an option to feed heavily on just one line initially, leaving the others as rescue options if it fails. Best of luck Paul !![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.