Boss Boxes

Ben Field

I almost bought one of the original ones but I bought a Brilo instead as they were a bit lighter and still very versatile
Out of interest, which Brilo box did you buy? I've 5 Boss and 4 Brilo boxes (might have a slight tackle problem!) and always find my Boss' lightest. I like the style and build of the Brilos, but thanks to that solid build, draw catches etc, they're all more weighty. Would love a super light Brilo.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Out of interest, which Brilo box did you buy? I've 5 Boss and 4 Brilo boxes (might have a slight tackle problem!) and always find my Boss' lightest. I like the style and build of the Brilos, but thanks to that solid build, draw catches etc, they're all more weighty. Would love a super light Brilo.
I had the Euro box with the original H frame, I had both a deep and shallow base plus lots of drawer units that I could take as and when I wanted, the boss wasn't quite as versitile
It was like the one in the pic below (not mine BTW stock pic, mine is tucked away in the shed in lots of part's)
586692275206cb32695f83b0.jpeg

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Hi chaps,

Anyone got one of these going spare? or perhaps have a neat recommendation for a way of fixing new handles to an old Boss box?

Al

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpg
    IMG_5151.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 30

Angler_PaulM

Any ideas where I could get a new seat for my Boss Box. Bloody mice have had a nibble over the winter, and although usable, looks very tatty. It has external legs not internal like some of the bigger Boss boxes, but any advice would be welcome as I love my boss box.

I have additional drawers from an old BTEC box so it's a bit of a TARDIS.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Any ideas where I could get a new seat for my Boss Box. Bloody mice have had a nibble over the winter, and although usable, looks very tatty. It has external legs not internal like some of the bigger Boss boxes, but any advice would be welcome as I love my boss box.

I think the external leg boss boxes were also marketed by Daiwa, so you could contact them. Or put a search in here for new seats , as there are a few companies that make them. It may be that you could just get the original base recovered.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam

you could send it off to the guy who I won my seat from

Custom seat box covers ? he made a really good job of mine

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
I won a competition on here so it was free for me

he can be contacted on 07895 338 826 if you might like a chat and quote

or lee.pickup@live.co.uk

or search Custom seatbox seats on facebook to see his work

CarpCatcher86

As much as I admire your passion Mick, I do have to question why you need five different seat boxes and how you actually plan to use them.
Do you use a different box for different locations or different styles of fishing? Do you have four now five of everything so that any one of your boxes is ready to go at a moments notice, or is everything stored elsewhere ready to be packed in to which ever box you decide you need on a given day?
I'm not having a go mate, I'm just curious.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
As much as I admire your passion Mick, I do have to question why you need five different seat boxes and how you actually plan to use them.
Do you use a different box for different locations or different styles of fishing? Do you have four now five of everything so that any one of your boxes is ready to go at a moments notice, or is everything stored elsewhere ready to be packed in to which ever box you decide you need on a given day?
I'm not having a go mate, I'm just curious.

yes and yes

I do use certain set-ups and boxes for different situations, I use different boxes on different venues, river, commercial and canal, my main go too box an 8 drawer is far to heavy to just sling over my shoulder for a tramp along the wilder stretches of my local river, so the lighter canal box option is used then, one gets used for commies on the trolley due to carrying the kitchen sink, and another is used when set up with a wheel kit for when I dont need so much, the others are sat in the tackle room, as spares

and my collecting issues arise from being poor as a child, i couldnt have things then, so I have them now

CarpCatcher86

yes and yes

I do use certain set-ups and boxes for different situations, I use different boxes on different venues, river, commercial and canal, my main go too box an 8 drawer is far to heavy to just sling over my shoulder for a tramp along the wilder stretches of my local river, so the lighter canal box option is used then, one gets used for commies on the trolley due to carrying the kitchen sink, and another is used when set up with a wheel kit for when I dont need so much, the others are sat in the tackle room, as spares

and my collecting issues arise from being poor as a child, i couldnt have things then, so I have them now
I hear that mate. Spinners and lures did it for me personally. Watching various fishing programs on the discovery channel in my youth, I was amazed by the amount of lures and spinners being used for targeting pike perch and zander. I saved up for months to buy a few "recommended" lures and spinners, to be fair I caught a lot of fish on them, not quite as many as stated but still. Now I have tackle boxes full of every size shape and colour of lure and spinner, all catch fish given the right day and conditions, although to be fair I don't believe that makes any difference, personally I think it's just a ploy to get people to buy more lures and spinners. I thought the same with yellow sweetcorn. Supposedly on heavy fished waters, carp can become wary of yellow corn and treat it with caution. To avoid that, you can either buy tubs of food dye and flavouring or you can buy sweetcorn ready dyed and flavored, which I think is a con to make people spend more money. Some of my best days fishing have been on quite heavily fished waters with nothing but a tin or two of Dynamite Baits plain yellow corn for bait, plus maybe a tin of hempseed.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Here's my beloved BOSS.

Mud feet, new side handles, lick of paint on drawer section... nowt else to do but post pics of my pride and joy :)

Attachments

• IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5363.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 38

Nicky Dodds

I always wanted a compact canal and remember drooling over one at the NEC. Head won over heart though as there just wasn't enough winder storage and ended up with a Brilo. I'd love to restore a canal compact as I still remember them as a thing of beauty.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I bought a Boss Box from Tony Troth at Tommy Pickering's first roadshow at Sandown Park, all singing,all dancing with the wheel kit. I asked if I could have it in claret and blue, "Villa fan?" he asked. I'm sorry to say my reply is unprintable.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
There’s a couple for sale on eBay at the moment, one is £100!ono-8 drawer , and one is £150,6drawer, with wheel kit etc 👍👍