boronze maggots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
hi all mds
i went to buy some bronze maggots today and the guy said that he wouldnt touch them. so i ask him did have any.(thinking that he didnt)he said yes i have bronze maggots if you want them you can go and do them yourself so i asked why. the reply was that the additive that add to them had the word cacer with it . is this true about the additive?????? made me abit wary. i didnt get any bronze/i got red and white.

poleroller2003
flagwave.gif chris the name fish the game

SteVeC

The dye used to colour bronze maggots is normally the same stuff used in the paper industry to colour brown paper (Chrysodine, or something like that) and is a known carcinogen. Much like the red dye used to make sweets red or farmed salmon pink. It is supposed to be safe in small doses, although the EEC recently reduced the allowable levels, I believe.

Cheers

SteVe

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
thanks steve

poleroller2003
chris the name fish the game

scouse

'River Man'
hi pr
chyisodine is banned
as a angler died
using it
but there is another scare
about the dye they are using now
the tackle shop i use has stopped doing bronze
maggots instead they do yellows

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
im glad i didnt do them myself then. also i was thinking of my family to. as i do stick my maggots in the fridge with food.
got to be safe than sorry

poleroller2003

SteVeC

The use of Chrysoidine Y (correct name) as a dye is not actually banned, but some clubs have banned the use of maggots dyed with it. It is linked with bladder cancer. It is recommended that you use gloves when handling maggots dyed with Chrysoidine. See the following for a recent, dated 9-2-02, news article on Chrysoidine coloured maggots, http://www.anglerstimes.co.uk/glynwilliams09022002.htm

Personally I never found bronze maggots to be any more affective then red or yellow maggots.

Cheers

SteVe

ren180

Bronze maggot is a killer bait especially on rivers.
I always asked for bronze when fishing a river but have'nt
Done so for about two years, since I got into pond and
Lake match fishing. When I bought them I did notice depending on
Where I got them from, some stained my hands badly others
Not at all. As if certain shops cheaply applied bronze dye
To white maggots. (Which I avoided.) Where others were internally
Dyed like red maggot.
Is that still the case and can you still buy internally
dyed bronze[?]
As I'm starting to miss the stick float.....Thanks..Ren.

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
thanks steve very helpful thanks mate.
ive been fishing for 15 years now and this is the 1st time in my life i had heard of this. this scared me to be honest. dont get me wrong i have used bronze maggots and have had a good sport with them. sometimes better than red /white. i wish i knew this a few years ago. they say you learn somthing new everyday. well i just did. never look at them again.another reason i asked is that i own a fishing video and they reccomend bronze maggots for match fishing highly recomended by them. i just killed 2 birds with 1 stone lol. i appreciate all the advice .
thanks very much
nb: happy maggot drowning.

poleroller2003

mike s

I don't know of any maggot suppliers who still use Chrysoidine. To the best of my Knowledge all bronze maggots these days are coloured using Annatto, which is a common colourant in human foodstuffs.
Chrysoidyne is not classified as carcinogenic to humans-probably due to the small number of possible cases.
PS Yellow maggots used to be produced using Chrysoidine as well!
If you want to know more, then type "Chrysoidine" ( that's the correct spelling)into your search engine-eg. Google.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Red maggots used to be coloured with a substance called Rhodamine (excuse the possible dodgy spelling) which is from the same family of dyes as Chrysodine I believe.

The big difference is that its very hard to get maggots to 'take' Rhodamine as a surface dye, so it has to be introduced to them whilst they are still on the meat - they therefore end up being coloured on the inside too.

This means that the dye will not 'rub off' as was the problem with bronze maggots which were invariably coloured once off the meat and hence the dye would come off all over your fingers, face etc etc.

Tight Lines

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
Another thought thats just occured to me - coloured maggots are banned in Holland. I wonder why??

Simon

SteVeC

Yellow maggots are feed Annatto, it's used to make cheap butter more yellow and sometimes feed to hens to give a deeper yellow yolk. About thirty years ago there was a series in Angling Times by Ivan Marks, about breeding maggots and I obtained some annatto, it came in a block. When the maggots were still small you had to spread the annatto on the pigeon carcass, or what ever, the maggots would eat it and turn a lovely shade of yellow. Unfortunately my mother eventually objected to me breeding my own maggots and it had to stop. I'm sure my catch rate went down after that.
In the old tackle shop I used to get my bait from everybody called yellow maggots 'annattos'.

Cheers

SteVe

mike s

Red maggots are coloured with a surface dye called "Oil Tax Red". The name comes from the fact that the dye is used in Deisel fuel not intended for road use & therefore exempt from excise duty.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.