Boring types of fishing?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
if you could catch 6oz roach every cast all the long day, you would be my hero

take a look one day at those fish that boring old git Bob Nudd catches and sticks in his net in a days angling
I never said nothing about catching a 6 ounce roach every cast and I never said Bob nudd was boring, so stop making things up

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ididnt sa
I never said nothing about catching a 6 ounce roach every cast and I never said Bob nudd was boring, so stop making things up

I didnt say you did,

I was being sarcastic over a previous poster and your reply to him

JayD

I can't understand anyone saying that they don't like 'pleasure fishing', ie, fishing for pleasure. Do they not get any pleasure from the discipline they prefer?

I've had a go at most things angling related over the years, and can say that there's been an element of pleasure in almost every one I've tried. Whether it's been trying to amass a greater weight than others, trying to catch a bigger specimen, or just chilling on the bank getting away from 'life'. It's often been a combination of all or some of them. The only time I've not been truly at peace with what I've been doing, is when it felt ethically wrong to me.

John.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've got no problem with people bashing my prefered types of angling provided they dont just make stuff up as I can see why people wouldnt like them although some seem incapable of the same attitudes with their forms, seems we should all like such forms. However implying that I fish only one style or peg when its blantantly not the case is a bit irritating. I'll freely admit that my angling has been less varied than usual this year but there has been a certain something going on in the background that does impact things a bit. Lets just leave it at that

TimFB

...any kind of elitist my type of fishing is so much better than yours magazine article involving tweed jackets or the latest must have technowizardly gizmos...guaranteed to make my eyes glaze over. Other than that i’ll Try and catch fish in a puddle and find all types of fishing interesting.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I've got no problem with people bashing my prefered types of angling provided they dont just make stuff up as I can see why people wouldnt like them although some seem incapable of the same attitudes with their forms, seems we should all like such forms. However implying that I fish only one style or peg when its blantantly not the case is a bit irritating. I'll freely admit that my angling has been less varied than usual this year but there has been a certain something going on in the background that does impact things a bit. Lets just leave it at that
I’ve got no problems with people bashing mine , what gets my goat is when for some reason they think they are purists and I’m just an oik, co I fish commercial venues....I’m 50 + years old now, I was brought up on canals and rivers,reservoirs, and I’ve done my fair share of trotting,and feeder fishing rivers, both pleasure and matches, now I do something different

alsur

Site Supporter
Pete , since moving to Oxford from Warrington 14 months ago I have pole fished once, due to lack of nearby commercials and decent canal.Whereas in north west commercials were a plenty and a couple of good canals,
I am now doing more feeder fishing ,and pellet waggler fishing or wag n mag for silvers on a couple of waters I fish down here, I will use a margin pole on them .
Not many anglers use a pole on these due to the size of the carp swimming around.
I find i am enjoying the rod and line approach again, even did a bit of swingtipping a few weeks ago.

What about Oxford Canal haven't fished it for years but it used to be very good.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"There are proper commercials like say docklow"

I have come to the conclusion where Commercial Fisheries are concerned you are commenting on things you actually know little about.

During the 80's and early 90s I was part of a works club that was run by a friend of Mick Bozward.
At this time there was only the pool that was converted into the Micky Mouse pool and we helped MB develop the fishery.
There were a lot of fish put into all the pools over the years and the stocking,numbers increase and growth levels of these fisheries fall into the "overstocking" category some are complaining about.
The pools still have to be regularly thinned out.

Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
What about Oxford Canal haven't fished it for years but it used to be very good.
I have fished it a few times , first time some years ago when I used to come down to fish round here on outskirts of Banbury were good.
I have fished the stretches around Godstow rd and Kidlington , full of bits,also can be feast or famine on there. It's similar in size to a canal I fished up north, the Shropshire union canal in cheshire,that's good fishing, my main canal up there was the Bridgewater Canal around Warrington areas.

Flathead

Site Supporter
I have fished it a few times , first time some years ago when I used to come down to fish round here on outskirts of Banbury were good.
I have fished the stretches around Godstow rd and Kidlington , full of bits,also can be feast or famine on there. It's similar in size to a canal I fished up north, the Shropshire union canal in cheshire,that's good fishing, my main canal up there was the Bridgewater Canal around Warrington areas.
Pole fishing can be pretty good on much of the Thames round Oxford

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Pole fishing can be pretty good on much of the Thames round Oxford
I am going to give the stretch at Sandford a go, both with pole and waggler, walked along it a few weeks ago, looks a good water, I joined Littlemore Angling last year and again this years, Also Newlands Angling.
I used to fish Panshill fishery around 15 years ago, it was good, and to work at your fishing, Went last year it was like hook a duck, 30lb in less than 20 minutes, the fish are shoaled up in front of with mouths open, it was a case of drop bait into mouth of fish you wanted to catch.
I will have to find a decent commie around here,

Flathead

Site Supporter
I am going to give the stretch at Sandford a go, both with pole and waggler, walked along it a few weeks ago, looks a good water, I joined Littlemore Angling last year and again this years, Also Newlands Angling.
I used to fish Panshill fishery around 15 years ago, it was good, and to work at your fishing, Went last year it was like hook a duck, 30lb in less than 20 minutes, the fish are shoaled up in front of with mouths open, it was a case of drop bait into mouth of fish you wanted to catch.
I will have to find a decent commie around here,
Above the lock at Sandford is a nice bit of water for the pole and the stretches at Kennington....unfortunately there is often a long walk involved on much of the river......I lived in Sandford until my late teens and spent a lot of time fishing round the weirs and old paper mill.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Above the lock at Sandford is a nice bit of water for the pole and the stretches at Kennington....unfortunately there is often a long walk involved on much of the river......I lived in Sandford until my late teens and spent a lot of time fishing round the weirs and old paper mill.
Its above the lock I walked, parked on the Kings Arms pub car park .
Partners son said he fished below the weir a few times when he used to go fishing and had some good pike,

Flathead

Site Supporter
Its above the lock I walked, parked on the Kings Arms pub car park .
Partners son said he fished below the weir a few times when he used to go fishing and had some good pike,
There is a bit of everything around Sandford....the Littlemore stretch below the old Paper mill is good for Chub and Roach and a few barbel.......always used to be a lot of bream as well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
"There are proper commercials like say docklow"

I have come to the conclusion where Commercial Fisheries are concerned you are commenting on things you actually know little about.

Tbf I did pluck docklow out of thin air a bit purely as I know it as a place that isn’t all about massive carp bags. Perhaps I should have gone with a commercial I know but there’s not many I’ve fished that I’d put in the proper category, maybe cobbleacres.

I’ve got no problems with people bashing mine , what gets my goat is when for some reason they think they are purists and I’m just an oik, co I fish commercial venues....I’m 50 + years old now, I was brought up on canals and rivers,reservoirs, and I’ve done my fair share of trotting,and feeder fishing rivers, both pleasure and matches, now I do something different

Apologies if it came across that way. In your case I know you have done all sorts of angling therefore know what you are talking about. Just because I don’t personally like “some” commercials it doesn’t mean I’m knocking the anglers that fish them. The only time I’d do that is when people have never fished anything else and pretend they are the bees knees because they’ve caught well on one of the easier ones as they are just kidding themselves when every other bloke on the lake has done the same thing.

@warrington63 sandford needs some rain desperately now so you might have the right idea waiting until September as you’ve probably missed the best of its summer fishing until it rains well. I was basically only fishing the old channel in July as it holds its condition much better than the main river but even that was clear and barely flowing on my last session a week or so ago after having good flow and colour through most of July. I might have another go there on Friday after all the rain we are forecast this week but if I get out before that I’ll go medley as its always slow and clear there anyway so doesn’t effect it so much.

Last edited: