Boring types of fishing?

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
This post just proves what a wonderful and varied sport fishing is. There's something for everyone even though you'll get pelters for admitting to it on MDers? Clonker, don't they 'ang on! ?

Silver fan 82

Same here, and some of them are proud they only had one bite and missed it.
I really think that you either "get" speci fishing or not.
It's the challenge of catching big, usually hard to catch fish maybe from low stock waters.
For example round my way and probably most of the country really this time of the year the banks are rammed with carp anglers, cone October / November no one about.
Last winter set myself a target of catching a winter carp, with quieter banks and freedom to move perfect! Session after session I blanked, the carp in most of the places I fish aren't particularly easy anyway, even harder in winter. But a change of tactic and a mild spell saw me net one. Not the biggest fish in the venue but I've never been more happy to catch a fish!
I think it depends on your motivation really?
But for me setting challenges is what makes me happy in my fishing.

rudd

Site Supporter
This post just proves what a wonderful and varied sport fishing is. There's something for everyone even though you'll get pelters for admitting to it on MDers? Clonker, don't they 'ang on! ?
In a week or so will be freelining a size 12 with a sliver of power isome in rockpools for gobies and blenies!
Will also run some small lures off the rocks for wrasse, mackerel or any thing that takes it.
May also fish a light drop shop or caroline rig for mini flatfish.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Matchfishing.
Get up,travel to small intimate venue,fish for Carp despite other species being present,rinse,repeat. Zzzzzzzzzz
Good banter though and good friends.

rudd

Site Supporter
I really think that you either "get" speci fishing or not.
It's the challenge of catching big, usually hard to catch fish maybe from low stock waters.
For example round my way and probably most of the country really this time of the year the banks are rammed with carp anglers, cone October / November no one about.
Last winter set myself a target of catching a winter carp, with quieter banks and freedom to move perfect! Session after session I blanked, the carp in most of the places I fish aren't particularly easy anyway, even harder in winter. But a change of tactic and a mild spell saw me net one. Not the biggest fish in the venue but I've never been more happy to catch a fish!
I think it depends on your motivation really?
But for me setting challenges is what makes me happy in my fishing.
Some days I like to be active and will fish float, feeder, pole, whip or lure rods.
Some times just want to sit by lake and do very little - just relax, catching a big fish becomes a bonus.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
This will upset a few but, to me, Pole fishing. Give me the control of rod and reel any day...proper fishing.
Pete , since moving to Oxford from Warrington 14 months ago I have pole fished once, due to lack of nearby commercials and decent canal.Whereas in north west commercials were a plenty and a couple of good canals,
I am now doing more feeder fishing ,and pellet waggler fishing or wag n mag for silvers on a couple of waters I fish down here, I will use a margin pole on them .
Not many anglers use a pole on these due to the size of the carp swimming around.
I find i am enjoying the rod and line approach again, even did a bit of swingtipping a few weeks ago.

Silver fan 82

Matchfishing.
Get up,travel to small intimate venue,fish for Carp despite other species being present,rinse,repeat. Zzzzzzzzzz
But what I don't get is alot of the match anglers that target the carp but knock carp anglers?
Some days I like to be active and will fish float, feeder, pole, whip or lure rods.
Some times just want to sit by lake and do very little - just relax, catching a big fish becomes a bonus.
Absolutely mate! 9 times out of ten I'll have a rod out for the larger fish and float fish or fish the feeder or even whip fish.
I done the whole speci fishing with two rods but can get boring, even soul destroying at times lol!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In a week or so will be freelining a size 12 with a sliver of power isome in rockpools for gobies and blenies!
Will also run some small lures off the rocks for wrasse, mackerel or any thing that takes it.
May also fish a light drop shop or caroline rig for mini flatfish.

There’s a little pier in Portsmouth harbour where I love doing that sort of fishing. Either Ragworm or isome sometimes mackerel strips under a float, on a jig head, a basic bottom rig etc and just fish for what comes along for a couple hours. The fish tend to average under a pound but on a light lure rod wrasse, pollock, pout, mackerel, Bream etc don’t half pull even at that size let alone when you get a few pound plus ones.

rudd

Site Supporter
There’s a little pier in Portsmouth harbour where I love doing that sort of fishing. Either Ragworm or isome sometimes mackerel strips under a float, on a jig head, a basic bottom rig etc and just fish for what comes along for a couple hours. The fish tend to average under a pound but on a light lure rod wrasse, pollock, pout, mackerel, Bream etc don’t half pull even at that size let alone when you get a few pound plus ones.
Yes its all about a bit of fun.
Unfortunately to many anglers lost this ability to have this years ago.

Silver fan 82

See now this kind of sea angling appeals to me!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yeah I’m a bit the same. My sessions fit in with 6-7 hours somewhere between 7 ish to 3 ish so no super early mornings and back in time for tea ??

My issue with the bivying as much as not catching much is the hygiene, I simply cannot go more than a day without a shower couldnt go to bed or wake up all stinky and uncomfortable!

Can’t really comment on pole fishing as never done it but does look boring I have to say.
Pole fishing boring ??????

squimp

Site Supporter
If I was an out and out carper I could maybe understand doing a campaign on a water for a particular fish but as someone who mainly does lure , barbel and chub , trout and salmon , trotting with a bit of carp and sea fishing I couldn’t think of anything I’d like to do less than just go to the same water on the same few pegs and blank after blank after blank for years . Got to admit that my patience with salmon fishing is wearing a bit thin aswell . As much as I enjoy the casting I’m just not getting any rewards other than the odd suicidal brownie for the time I’m putting in and with dwindling numbers I think this will be my last season chasing them

You have reminded me that I keep telling my mates that “salmon fishing is rubbish”.

they persist in going to Scotland/Wales, Norway etc etc and cast all day with massive heavy rods, nearly drown themselves in fast, cold rivers and they catch very little.

And most of it is ‘blind’ fishing, as in cast out, swing it across the river and hope for the best.........

having said all that, Scotland has a bit of a salmon revival this year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Pole fishing boring ??????

As I say I’ve never done it but shipping in and out a drain pipe all day without the joys of striking and casting doesn’t look much fun but I could be wrong.

Its not all winches and cranes!
Ironically as coarse gear has got heavier (3lb rods, big pit feels etc), sea fishing has got lighter!

Lrf/ Perch kit: HTO Rockfish Revolution

Yeah it’s not all heavy gear is it. Even when boat fishing I never fish heavier than a 12-20lb in this country. You still see some people fishing with right broom handles and tow rope but with today’s blanks and braids you don’t need to and you see and feel so much more on lighter gear. Boat rods are bit like float rods you do have to spend a fair bit to get a decent one but it is worth it as it completely changes thee experience.

My favourite sea fishing is flats fishing in the US though. 4-6ft of clear water, float or lure on a medium action spinning rod, 3500 reel with 10lb braidband off you go, can be almost a bite a chuck at the right times. The fish aren’t big, maybe 1-7lb for the actual fish and 5-15lb for the sharks, but they don’t need to be big on such gear as everything there fights like stink. When they are coming frequently it’s quite a work out. Commercial anglers would love it as it’s similar numbers and sizes of fish and gear to their favourite venues!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As I say I’ve never done it but shipping in and out a drain pipe all day without the joys of striking and casting doesn’t look much fun but I could be wrong.

Yeah it’s not all heavy gear is it. Even when boat fishing I never fish heavier than a 12-20lb in this country. You still see some people fishing with right broom handles and tow rope but with today’s blanks and braids you don’t need to and you see and feel so much more on lighter gear. Boat rods are bit like float rods you do have to spend a fair bit to get a decent one but it is worth it as it completely changes thee experience.

My favourite sea fishing is flats fishing in the US though. 4-6ft of clear water, float or lure on a medium action spinning rod, 3500 reel with 10lb braidband off you go, can be almost a bite a chuck at the right times. The fish aren’t big, maybe 1-7lb for the actual fish and 5-15lb for the sharks, but they don’t need to be big on such gear as everything there fights like stink. When they are coming frequently it’s quite a work out. Commercial anglers would love it as it’s similar numbers and sizes of fish and gear to their favourite venues!
So now as well as all fish in commercial venues being tame, pole fishing is boring , I bow to you’re wealth of knowledge, I’ll have to start waggler fishing the same swim , for 6 ounce roach every day, must be so interesting, if everything else is boring ?

squimp

Site Supporter
So now as well as all fish in commercial venues being tame, pole fishing is boring , I bow to you’re wealth of knowledge, I’ll have to start waggler fishing the same swim , for 6 ounce roach every day, must be so interesting, if everything else is boring ?

nice one Chef. Nobody can say you are boring !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not all I never said all! There are proper commercials like say docklow and not proper ones like say panshill. And I'm just guessing on the pole, just doesnt look fun could be completely wrong. And if its boring to some of us it doesnt mean it is to others. When did everyone get so touchy lol

I dont know where you've got this one swim thing from the only place that I've fished only one swim across multiple sessions is fernhill. I even fished two swims in one session on thursday ?

Not sure when I said everything else is boring either, I've tried just about every sort of fishing and liked all but a handful of them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

if you could catch 6oz roach every cast all the long day, you would be my hero

take a look one day at those fish that boring old git Bob Nudd catches and sticks in his net in a days angling