Border Fisheries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'm fishing the Angling Times Supercup Northern Semi-Final this weekend at Border Fisheries (Meridian, Match and Robbie's Lakes)

Due to it being a 300 mile round-trip from up here in the deepest, darkest north-east, we haven't done a lot of practicing, so if anyone has any up-to-date information (especially regarding bait) i'd be very grateful.

Actually any information at all would be useful!

Stu Dav

Davi
Simon

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell you that I won a 40 peg club match last sunday on the canal 2nd June

Heres what did it for me.
There was a stern wind blowing from left to right as you stand in the carpark and look at the island, an easterly a think,sory the sun didn't shine much that day.
Now I must admit that I did draw the "flier" peg 34 on the far side of the island,thats what the guy who runs the place said anyway.
It screams pole at 12m across to the reeds and you could see plenty of activity from mooching carp all over the place,but that wind was a nightmare for me and I couldn't hold it still enough for long enough.
I think I swore at one point and then threw the bl**dy thing up the bank after an hour(diaflash not that lite or stiff).
So I dug my waggler rod out and that was another disaster.
Bare in mind I have fished down the side on many occasions so I pegged my keepnet out tight to the bank on my left off the bottom !
Fish back from the edge from the start just in case.
Well its a good 2 foot deep at the edge here, but I know its not that deep all the way round gradually sloping to some 7 feet down the middle,fishing quite lite 2lb bottom 20s carbon barbless with a tiny float and single maggot and 14s elastic it took a good while to get my first bite.
feeding maggot (red) quite often , a good pinch every minute(say 20).
first fish was a carp 2lb.
Trick number one hook a fish and shipout INSTANTLY even if it turns out to be small,you've got to get the fish out of the feeding zone and into mid water at all costs, one fish hooked and charging about under your feet will bugger it up in seconds.!!!!
Now the fish are not massive but shipout to much and they'll have you in the reeds on the other, one or two were touching 4lb.
trick no two keep feeding constantly every minute same amount even whilst playing a fish ,keep the ones that are still there busy and ready for your next dob in.
Trick number three fish over depth with the float dotted and I mean dotted,and drop it in and let the rig settle and then pull it back slowly so you actualy pull the bait up the shelf,you may get false bites at first until you get "tuned in".
Feed man you forgot to feed man !.
Trick number four put a few grains of corns in now and again (6 or 7)
and then try it on a bigger hook tipped with red maggot,this was thee bait.
Get tuned in, you fish that close in with one section the float can nearly touch the wood but the bait is slightly away and 'crouch'over like a coiled spring,the bites are vertualy non existant and the
float just moves or it can just dissapear.
You wouldn't belive how close in they are, but they are.
oh yeah casters just feed casters with the corn as they didn't seem to like it on the hook.
used about 4 pints of red maggot 1/2 caster and 1/2 a tin of corn.
Any form of pellet or paste in not allowed and they religiosly check every single angler for barbed hooks don't even take any just in case.
The very least you won't wiegh in,and you might even be asked to leave
There will be spells when you won't get a bite for a while but keep the bait going in and they'll come back.
keep realy still and you can feel em knocking against the wood,its weard.

Ended up with 42 lb of carp tench and big roach.Drew 65 quid
back up wieghts were 38 35 and 27 I think.

You may get carp right across but there in the reeds in a second and you will loose more than you get in.
Anyway that should give you some idea,watch for tiny bites of big fish keep the feed going in and get ready to shipout rapid.

Match Lake
My head may be swelling got second with the same set of lads on the Match lake the week before on mag and wag lots of chub under a pound with the odd carp.
wieghts were down 22 lb for second again feeding all the time even if the bites died off.
That should get you thinking .Champion.
Its my birds time for a go of this box of tricks so bye for now
Away the Lads

Stu dav

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Christ!

I got tired out reading that!

That's some active form of fishing stu!

Well done and the spaces are spot on!
Over to you Simon!

Speed? ecstasy?

Good Luck mate!
Chit forgot to feed again LOL

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Cheers Stu - some excellent info

My one practice session down there was on Meridian and I know exactly what you mean about the carp getting into the far-bank reeds, I got the first three out and thought "this is easy" - then proceeded to lose the next five!

I've been out with the rest of the lads in the team tonight and it's been decided that i'm fishing robbie's (Whether or not the above performance has anything to do with that i'm not sure).

Presumably it'll be similar tactics on there?

What about fishing chopped worm?
Reading Angling Times today it appears a number of the winning weights were caught with a caster / chopped worm approach.

Also I think pellets will be allowed for this match - but only if you buy them on-site (nice little earner!)

I think we're gonna need a minor miracle to qualify for the final, but any little bits of info are much appreciated.

Oh - you can skip the 'Away The Lads' - I'm from Middlesbrough not Newcastle icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Simon

Stu Dav

Davi
yeah Simon

No probs mate, Nice one ar kid.
If I ear owt ellss al let tha naw
Av a top match an gud luk
Sorrtid.

A know yur a fussy lot up ther a shudda known bettar,Sorry :)

Top !

Stu Dav

Status
Not open for further replies.