Bomb Hooklengths

Maverick

Need to tie up some new hooklengths for fishing the bomb for carp between 5-16lb.

Fluorocarbon line appears to be the in-thing at the moment according to many youtube videos.

Is it really any better than the mono we have all used for years?

What would you choose?

qtaran111

Site Supporter
You’ll probably get varying answers here’s my take on it.

I find fluoro can be useful for two things, in gin clear water or using its stiffness for a boom. Otherwise I’d go mono.

Fluoro lack of stretch is a double edged sword; good for the boom mentioned above but can be snapped by a last minute surge at the net. Also I find knotting fluoro a PITA compared to mono or braid.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You could go for the Fluorocarbon coated line. I've had some cracking fish using it for hook lengths.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Flouro every time, and all my feeder setups I use a 15ft Flouro leader
curious bud . do you think it makes a difference on carp and how you doing it are you using 8lb mainline down to 15ft of flouro of the same strength ,always willing to try different tings

Corn Master

curious bud . do you think it makes a difference on carp and how you doing it are you using 8lb mainline down to 15ft of flouro of the same strength ,always willing to try different tings
To be fair I started doing it in winter when chucking around looking for liners. That's when it really comes into its own. In the warmer months when fish are moving then it's not really a benefit apart from skimmers. Being that it's virtually invisible compared to mono it can't hurt.
On short chucks (13m to 30m) with a soft rod I have 10lbs main to an 8lbs shock. Anything beyond it's 6.6lbs main 10lbs shock. Not saying try it now but in the winter you'll love it. Especially on bomb and a single hookbait

Total

Site Supporter
To be fair I started doing it in winter when chucking around looking for liners. That's when it really comes into its own. In the warmer months when fish are moving then it's not really a benefit apart from skimmers. Being that it's virtually invisible compared to mono it can't hurt.
On short chucks (13m to 30m) with a soft rod I have 10lbs main to an 8lbs shock. Anything beyond it's 6.6lbs main 10lbs shock. Not saying try it now but in the winter you'll love it. Especially on bomb and a single hookbait
So your main line is heavier than your Shock leader?:unsure:

chris1967

Site Supporter
Thats all i'm interested in bud winter fishing ,i will be giving it a whirl this winter ,do the same think every time and get blinkered to other methods or ways of rigging up

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
In effect you have made a rather large stiff boom. I can see how line movement would be amplified BUT fluro would also sit tight to bottom as opposed to slight buoyancy in mono, therefore allowing fish to move over the fluro not touching it giving liners?
It’s acting like leadcore/weighted tubing.

Corn Master

In effect you have made a rather large stiff boom. I can see how line movement would be amplified BUT fluro would also sit tight to bottom as opposed to slight buoyancy in mono, therefore allowing fish to move over the fluro not touching it giving liners?
It’s acting like leadcore/weighted tubing.
The smallest bend in the tip pulls the line up anyway. Even with a 10g bomb. The flouro shock is so stiff and many many times better in reducing bows and pulls due to tow. The difference in liners between the two is night and day. After I have had a creep about locating fish then I will hardly put a bend in the tip and just rely on takes. It's also less prone to damage by abrasion. I have been using it now for about 5 years and will never change

Total

Site Supporter
The smallest bend in the tip pulls the line up anyway. Even with a 10g bomb. The flouro shock is so stiff and many many times better in reducing bows and pulls due to tow. The difference in liners between the two is night and day. After I have had a creep about locating fish then I will hardly put a bend in the tip and just rely on takes. It's also less prone to damage by abrasion. I have been using it now for about 5 years and will never change
^^(y)......Something to experiment with and adapt/use into my own fishing.....Thanks for sharing Dale....(y)

Fred Davis

I have just started to use fluro hooklenths for carp I don't mess about I use 0.22 fluro is not as strong as normal mono per diameter so you need to up the diameter, the benefit is the stifness which you can utilise for feeder work, this is the only time I use fluro carbon line , I'll see how it goes