Bolo floats...

TiggerXFM

Just been clocking the waggler float thread and thought i'd mention a bolo float I got the other day.
I wanted some 5grm Dave Harrell no2 bolos and went online to benwicks which is my favourite online shop for such things. Anyhow, I orderd the Harrell floats and whilst browsing the benwick silverlite bolo float caught my eye. I finnished up adding one to my basket out of interest. The floats arrived yesterday, after opening the tube and seeing the floats I thought, I wish I hadn't botherd with the Harrell floats and got the silverlites instead. Maybe i'm being a little hasty as I don't know how the silverite floats will fish but they look great for my kind of fishing on the river. They appear really well made with a neat inline set up with a small eye if you prefer that way of attatching the float, or you can just use three rubbers as I normally do. The float has a excellent long bright sight tip which should be idea for trotting at range or in chop etc. I have just orderd two more 5 grm and two 6grm, it does burn my brain out a little that the post is 3.50 and I could have got them all in one order.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I don't get the "in-line" design of that - at least from the photos on benwicks site ...

I'd have though that an inline "tube" from the shoulder of the float would aid holding back.

It looks like it enters right next to the bristle and exits at 2/3 down the float body. I suppose that might be in the relatively strongest part of the float body.

Maybe I'm misreading the photos.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@NoCarpPlease I use the sensas bolo's and I went from using the tube through the float to rubbers but the extra weight of bolo the line will eventually cut into the float, I suppose they could alter the manufacturer materials and make the body's more robust.

TiggerXFM

I don't get the "in-line" design of that - at least from the photos on benwicks site ...

I'd have though that an inline "tube" from the shoulder of the float would aid holding back.

It looks like it enters right next to the bristle and exits at 2/3 down the float body. I suppose that might be in the relatively strongest part of the float body.

Maybe I'm misreading the photos.
I've just got the float and threaded the line down through the small wire eye and into the hole just below it (close to the top of the body) and out through the bottom hole. I didn't put any rubbers onto the stem as it was pointless, but it worked perfectly well. It just means you don't need to use a rubber on the sight tip and that your float is safe as houses with regards to coming free. However, I sometimes swap floats during a session so I would still use a rubber on the sight tip and two or three on the stem.

TiggerXFM

@TiggerXFM the tube through the body is also to protect the float from the line cutting in.

I thought it was for putting your line through 😉.

The hole at the top is on the opposite side of the body to the bottom hole 😬, and the line is threaded down through a wire loop, so if you were to hold back the line is away from the body, it's a really neat set up. That part is wasted on me though because as I said I will be using a rubber on the tip.

Ang1er

They look very similar to the Colmic Sile passante - another model with the same shape and hole through the body of the float. I have some other Colmic floats with different shapes - all of them has holes and small metal rings near the antennas. In my opinion, the main point of holes is to prevent the line from cutting through the body of the float on the strikes. Unfortunately, those small metal rings are the weakest part of the float - it will be useful to put a drop of superglue at connection point :)

TiggerXFM

They look very similar to the Colmic Sile passante - another model with the same shape and hole through the body of the float. I have some other Colmic floats with different shapes - all of them has holes and small metal rings near the antennas. In my opinion, the main point of holes is to prevent the line from cutting through the body of the float on the strikes. Unfortunately, those small metal rings are the weakest part of the float - it will be useful to put a drop of superglue at connection point :)
Thanks for the info An 1 er, I wouldn't put my line through the body or the loop, I will just use three rubbers as on my other floats. I have never had line dig into the body of a float.....yet 😉.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@TiggerXFM that's what I thought so I went to rubbers only to find my line had cut into the body. Its only my experience of this style of float, be interested in learning how you avoid this, I now realise the manufacturers have added the tube and ring cos they have tested them and actually know what there doing.

TiggerXFM

@TiggerXFM that's what I thought so I went to rubbers only to find my line had cut into the body. Its only my experience of this style of float, be interested in learning how you avoid this, I now realise the manufacturers have added the tube and ring cos they have tested them and actually know what there doing.
So, I have never used this particular float i've just bought, but, I have used lots of others very similar to them and had countless good sized barbel etc pulling back when using those floats, in all honesty I have never had an issue with the line digging into the float body.
I think the float in this picture is very similar to the new one but with a thicker sight tip (which was removeable possibly with a glowlight in mind ?). It also had a wire loop but no hole through the body. Obviously made so you don't need to use a rubber on the sight tip if you don't want to. I actually pulled off the wire and used a rubber on the sight tip as always and no issues with line cutting into the float. Possibley if you had a shorter and more bulbous body you "may" get line slicing into it, I doubt it though.
Here are two pic's of the float...

march-9-chub1.jpg

march-9-chub.jpg

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Do any of your other floats have a tube and eye, if no there made of sterner stuff, I've examples of bolo's with both and can say without hesitation the tube and eye design are made of softer materials or the finish is less durable, either way from experience if a float has a tube I use it saves me wondering why my float is sinking after its taken on water. You pays your money you takes ya choice. Tight lines. @TiggerXFM

TiggerXFM

Do any of your other floats have a tube and eye, if no there made of sterner stuff, I've examples of bolo's with both and can say without hesitation the tube and eye design are made of softer materials or the finish is less durable, either way from experience if a float has a tube I use it saves me wondering why my float is sinking after its taken on water. You pays your money you takes ya choice. Tight lines. @TiggerXFM
Ok, i've just been and looked at the silverilte float next to some DH, sSteve Maher, woodys bolos and the silverlites body seems every bit as strong?
As soon as I am able to go and try the silverlite floats I will report back with my findings 🙂👍.